Label a floppy disk

This question is so basic I am embarrassed to ask, but here goes. I have (2)
desktop HP PCs and Compaq Laptop. All are running Windows XP Home. The
laptop has SP2 on it, the other (2) SP1. When I fromat a floppy and label it
(for example: PC Files), the format works as it's supposed to, but there is
no title (label) for the floppy when I re-insert it. Shouldn't the title
(label) show when it is put back in the floppy or for that matter when it's
done formatting. Thanks, Dave
8 answers Last reply
More about label floppy disk

    In My Computer/Explorer/whatever, the floppy drive is always referred to as
    "3½ Floppy". To see the label of any floppy in the drive you need to
    right-click on the drive and select Properties. The label will appear under
    the General tab.

    This is unlike CDs/DVDs where the disc label replaces the name of the drive
    it's been inserted into.

    Sorry dre1x :-(

    "dre1x" wrote:

    > This question is so basic I am embarrassed to ask, but here goes. I have (2)
    > desktop HP PCs and Compaq Laptop. All are running Windows XP Home. The
    > laptop has SP2 on it, the other (2) SP1. When I fromat a floppy and label it
    > (for example: PC Files), the format works as it's supposed to, but there is
    > no title (label) for the floppy when I re-insert it. Shouldn't the title
    > (label) show when it is put back in the floppy or for that matter when it's
    > done formatting. Thanks, Dave

    Thank you, now I feel like real idiot...lol....

    "Dangonblane" wrote:

    > In My Computer/Explorer/whatever, the floppy drive is always referred to as
    > "3½ Floppy". To see the label of any floppy in the drive you need to
    > right-click on the drive and select Properties. The label will appear under
    > the General tab.
    >
    > This is unlike CDs/DVDs where the disc label replaces the name of the drive
    > it's been inserted into.
    >
    > Sorry dre1x :-(
    >

    > "dre1x" wrote:
    >
    > > This question is so basic I am embarrassed to ask, but here goes. I have (2)
    > > desktop HP PCs and Compaq Laptop. All are running Windows XP Home. The
    > > laptop has SP2 on it, the other (2) SP1. When I fromat a floppy and label it
    > > (for example: PC Files), the format works as it's supposed to, but there is
    > > no title (label) for the floppy when I re-insert it. Shouldn't the title
    > > (label) show when it is put back in the floppy or for that matter when it's
    > > done formatting. Thanks, Dave

    Alternately, you can label a floppy in the windows command prompt.
    Type CD\ to put you in the root directory, type A: to change to the A:
    drive, type LABEL and hit enter,
    You can use up to 11 characters.

    "dre1x" <dre1x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you, now I feel like real idiot...lol....
    >
    > "Dangonblane" wrote:
    >
    >> In My Computer/Explorer/whatever, the floppy drive is always referred to
    >> as
    >> "3½ Floppy". To see the label of any floppy in the drive you need to
    >> right-click on the drive and select Properties. The label will appear
    >> under
    >> the General tab.
    >>
    >> This is unlike CDs/DVDs where the disc label replaces the name of the
    >> drive
    >> it's been inserted into.
    >>
    >> Sorry dre1x :-(
    >>

    >> "dre1x" wrote:
    >>
    >> > This question is so basic I am embarrassed to ask, but here goes. I
    >> > have (2)
    >> > desktop HP PCs and Compaq Laptop. All are running Windows XP Home.
    >> > The
    >> > laptop has SP2 on it, the other (2) SP1. When I fromat a floppy and
    >> > label it
    >> > (for example: PC Files), the format works as it's supposed to, but
    >> > there is
    >> > no title (label) for the floppy when I re-insert it. Shouldn't the
    >> > title
    >> > (label) show when it is put back in the floppy or for that matter when
    >> > it's
    >> > done formatting. Thanks, Dave

    No the label won't show up in the My Computer window as it would for a Hard
    Drive or CD . It will though if you look at the properties for the disc. It
    will also be displayed when you open the format option or if you go to a
    command box, switch to the A drive and type VOL

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    | This question is so basic I am embarrassed to ask, but here goes. I have
    (2)
    | desktop HP PCs and Compaq Laptop. All are running Windows XP Home. The
    | laptop has SP2 on it, the other (2) SP1. When I fromat a floppy and label
    it
    | (for example: PC Files), the format works as it's supposed to, but there
    is
    | no title (label) for the floppy when I re-insert it. Shouldn't the title
    | (label) show when it is put back in the floppy or for that matter when
    it's
    | done formatting. Thanks, Dave

    You should change to the drive first then make sure you are in the proper
    folder before doing the label. You have the process backward.

    The sequence should be::

    A: then Enter - Changes the default drive to the A drive (the floppy)

    CD\ then Enter - Changes the default folder to the Root folder(directory)
    With the label command this is not a necessary step.

    Label LABELNAME - where LABELNAME is the name assigned to the label up to
    11 characters long then Enter.

    You could also type LABEL A:LABELNAME then Enter to label the disk. ---
    This tells the computer to give the disk in the A drive the name labelname

    This can either be done from the Start/Run dialog box or you can type cmd
    for the command window and do it there.

    "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > Alternately, you can label a floppy in the windows command prompt.
    > Type CD\ to put you in the root directory, type A: to change to the A:
    > drive, type LABEL and hit enter,
    > You can use up to 11 characters.
    >
    > "dre1x" <dre1x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you, now I feel like real idiot...lol....
    > >
    > > "Dangonblane" wrote:
    > >
    > >> In My Computer/Explorer/whatever, the floppy drive is always referred
    > >> as
    > >> "3½ Floppy". To see the label of any floppy in the drive you need to
    > >> right-click on the drive and select Properties. The label will appear
    > >> under
    > >> the General tab.
    > >>
    > >> This is unlike CDs/DVDs where the disc label replaces the name of the
    > >> drive
    > >> it's been inserted into.
    > >>
    > >> Sorry dre1x :-(

    When you go to Windows command prompt, you are still in Windows, Example:
    C:\Windows\xxxxxxx
    By typing CD\ the system puts you in the Root directory.
    Example: C:\
    Now you can change to A: drive by typing A: and Enter.
    Then move to any directory or check on any file.

    "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
    > You should change to the drive first then make sure you are in the proper
    > folder before doing the label. You have the process backward.
    >
    > The sequence should be::
    >
    > A: then Enter - Changes the default drive to the A drive (the floppy)
    >
    > CD\ then Enter - Changes the default folder to the Root
    > folder(directory)
    > With the label command this is not a necessary step.
    >
    > Label LABELNAME - where LABELNAME is the name assigned to the label up to
    > 11 characters long then Enter.
    >
    > You could also type LABEL A:LABELNAME then Enter to label the disk. ---
    > This tells the computer to give the disk in the A drive the name labelname
    >
    > This can either be done from the Start/Run dialog box or you can type cmd
    > for the command window and do it there.
    >

    > "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >> Alternately, you can label a floppy in the windows command prompt.
    >> Type CD\ to put you in the root directory, type A: to change to the A:
    >> drive, type LABEL and hit enter,
    >> You can use up to 11 characters.
    >>
    >> "dre1x" <dre1x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you, now I feel like real idiot...lol....

    > when

    But it changes you to the root directory of the System Drive (C D E F G or
    whatever Windows is installed on not the A drive.) You don't need to go to
    the root of the system drive to log onto the A drive in a command window
    (Start, Run, CMD & Enter. Each drive in "DOS" (yes there is no DOS in XP
    but the directory structure is still based on the DOS priciple) has it's own
    default directory. Except for the System drive the default directory on a
    disk is usually the root directory but it can be changed by the CD command
    issued when the drive is the default "DOS" drive (the drive showing on the
    command prompt.) Simply changing to the root directory of the current drive
    will only change that drive's default directory not the default directory on
    a different drive.

    And as I explained in my message the default directory is unimportant when
    labeling the drive (either a floppy or hard disk.) From either the Start,
    Run prompt or a command window, simply typing LABEL then a space and the
    drive letter followed immediately by a colon and then the label you wish to
    apply will label that drive.

    > When you go to Windows command prompt, you are still in Windows, Example:
    > C:\Windows\xxxxxxx
    > By typing CD\ the system puts you in the Root directory.
    > Example: C:\
    > Now you can change to A: drive by typing A: and Enter.
    > Then move to any directory or check on any file.
    >
    > "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
    > > You should change to the drive first then make sure you are in the
    proper
    > > folder before doing the label. You have the process backward.
    > >
    > > The sequence should be::
    > >
    > > A: then Enter - Changes the default drive to the A drive (the floppy)
    > >
    > > CD\ then Enter - Changes the default folder to the Root
    > > folder(directory)
    > > With the label command this is not a necessary step.
    > >
    > > Label LABELNAME - where LABELNAME is the name assigned to the label up
    > > 11 characters long then Enter.
    > >
    > > You could also type LABEL A:LABELNAME then Enter to label the
    isk. ---
    > > This tells the computer to give the disk in the A drive the name
    labelname

    > > This can either be done from the Start/Run dialog box or you can type
    cmd
    > > for the command window and do it there.
    > >

    > > "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > >> Alternately, you can label a floppy in the windows command prompt.
    > >> Type CD\ to put you in the root directory, type A: to change to the A:
    > >> drive, type LABEL and hit enter,
    > >> You can use up to 11 characters.
    > >>
    > >> "dre1x" <dre1x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Home.
    > > when

    Don't feel that way. Yours was a very good question, and I am certain a very
    large number of people did not know the answer.

    "dre1x" <dre1x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you, now I feel like real idiot...lol....

Laptops Floppy Disk Windows XP