Vertical line on Agfa SnapScan 1212p

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

I have an Agfa SnapScan 1212p, and I recently noticed a miscolored
vertical line that goes all the way from the top to the bottom
of the scan. This is what it looks like when I scan the entire
area without putting anything in the scanner:

http://folk.uio.no/hakonrk/tmp/vertline.jpg

The problem is much less visible when a real picture is scanned,
but I can still see it. I cleaned out the flatbed glass as good
as I could, but it made no difference. This scanner is several
years old; is it common for scanners to break down in this way?
Should I just get a new scanner, or is it something I can fix?

I have searched for this problem on Google, and I found several
suggestions, like opening up the scanner and cleaning the optics
with compressed air, but I was hoping to get some suggestions
specific to my case, now that people can see exactly what my
problem looks like.

Thanks in advance!

--
Haakon
1 answer Last reply

    On 2004-11-19 23:51:07 +1100, Haakon Riiser <hakonrk@fys.uio.no> said:

    > I have an Agfa SnapScan 1212p, and I recently noticed a miscolored
    > vertical line that goes all the way from the top to the bottom
    > of the scan. This is what it looks like when I scan the entire
    > area without putting anything in the scanner:
    >
    > http://folk.uio.no/hakonrk/tmp/vertline.jpg
    >
    > The problem is much less visible when a real picture is scanned,
    > but I can still see it. I cleaned out the flatbed glass as good
    > as I could, but it made no difference. This scanner is several
    > years old; is it common for scanners to break down in this way?
    > Should I just get a new scanner, or is it something I can fix?
    >
    > I have searched for this problem on Google, and I found several
    > suggestions, like opening up the scanner and cleaning the optics
    > with compressed air, but I was hoping to get some suggestions
    > specific to my case, now that people can see exactly what my
    > problem looks like.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    i've been getting the same on my snapscan 600 scsi runnig thru a scsi
    card on a mac dual g5. i've been using vuescan as the agfa software is
    unsupported in osx. i've tried to scan at 150 dpi and found NO lines.
    anything higher and i get a variety of lines like you - this happens in
    transparency or flatbed mode. no idea how or why, but thankfully i
    haven't needed anything large than 150 dpi. i know that this won't
    help, but at least you're not alone!
    cheers

Scanners Peripherals