My first game machine build, stuck on power supply

gsusInAPixel

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I'm new to building my own computer. Therefore I am stuck and unsure as how much power I will need currently and in the presumably in the future as I upgrade. I have a list of some of the hardware pieces I would like to use. Here are the proposed specs so far.

Core Duo E6600 2.4ghz
Geforce 7900 gtx 512MB ( will add another in the future)
2GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800
2x Seagate barracuda 320GB running raid 0 (would add more in the future)
For the MB I plan on using Nforce 680i when it comes out next month hoping it is not delayed or if it is
ASUS P5N32-SLI PREMIUM/WIFI-AP

I have looked at NVIDIA’s site for PSU recommendations running SLI for the 7900 gtx. The list varies in price and watts. From that list, here are PSU that caught my attention.

Antec TruePower Trio 650W
Corsair HX620W
OCZ GameXSTREAM 700W
Thermaltake toughPower 700W

I was hoping to find websites that would have comparison charts of different PSU. Similar to how graphics cards are compared. Does anyone know where I may find those charts? Or good comparison reviews?

Out of the four PSU, which would make the most sence for me to buy?

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
toughpower....its one of the most efficient power supplies out there...thg did a comparison of power supplies a little bit ago, so just poke around and try to find it.

G

Antec Trio : 3 12V rails, 19A each, +12V1, 12V2,12V3 maximum output 624 Watts max, Efficiency up to 85% , 140$

Corsair: 3 12v rails, 18A each, 600W max output on 12V, offers high efficiency, up to 80% under wide load range, 180$ - modular

OCZ: 4 12v rails, 18A each, max output on the 12v??, 80% @ 115V (Typical load), 160$

TT: 4 12v rails, 18A each, max output 672,efficiency up to 85%, 170$, -modular

So here is why Rich said the TT, its modular, good efficiency, and the highest 12V output of all of them(if newegg is wrong).
Im pretty sure any of these will be fine for your use, the Trio is probably the best deal, the TT is probably the best one.

Edit: funny on newegg they say the combine load is 48A on the 12v, while the web site say 56, 48A is 'only' 576Watt...weird

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I just installed my Corsair HX620W like a week ago and it is really quiet. I replaced a Power and cooling 510 deluxe. They make good PSU but they are loud as hell. And the modular cables are really nice.

This psu is 620W @50c since most psu are rated @ 40c

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the post.
I am also looking for a high quality PSU.
Stable voltage, high power (550w+), heavy, solid, quiet, etc.
I can spend in the $100+ range.
I want a good enough power supply to overclock, run 2 hard-drives, 2 DVD drives, and maybe SLI or a DX10 card. I Never want to worry if the parts are getting ideal power. (or losing a HardDrive!)

Simple question, what is a rail?
What brand of PSU is always good?
What else should I look for that seperates the high-end from the high-watt cheap?

Thanks!

G

I dont excactly know the definition of this particular rail but I see it as train rail.

They are way to deliver current, I suggest you read the sticky up there, explained better then I probably could with more details!

I am a big fan of the Seasonic, the energy + models are really nice with sper high efficiency 88%, wich means that 88% of the power you pull from the wall actually goes into the computer, that also means that the PSU is relatively cool and should be quiet.

They're a bit more expensive then other similar PSU but I am a beleiver of you get what you pay for when it comes to seasonic, plus all my first hand experience were good...

Basically the brand will tell you a lot on the PSU,
Fortron, OCZ, Tagan, Seasonic, Antec,Thermal take, there is many more...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm running the GameXStream 700W in my test bench...but only because it was free. It's a good unit. I also have the Fortron Source Epsilon 700W, and it's great, but the shiny paint would likely get damaged running on my bench :p