Scanner Advice Please

I run a small home based (in the UK) printing business that requires
me to sometimes scan children's pictures etc for printing. In the past
I've 'got by' by using my old cheap Umax scanner and taking
critical/difficult stuff to be drum scanned.

The old scanner is now not functioning properly so I need a new one.

There are two options as I see it

1 Buy another cheapish scanner (probaly now with better performance)
and carry on as before

or

2 Buy a better quality scanner that can do almost everything including
perhaps photo scans from negs and slides.

So could anyone advise as to what they consider

1.The best 'cheapish' scanner just for scanning artwork and drawings?

2. The best 'better quality scanner' for artwork and phots.

My research so far (here and elsewhere) is pointing me in the
direction of te Epson 4870 in the case of the latter.

Any comments, help or advice gratefully received.

BTW I'm running Windows XP with USB 2

More about scanner advice please

    I have the MICROTEK 5900 with a 4x5 inch built in transparency adaptor that
    does good scans of 35mm to 4x5 (9x12cm?)
    I have used it to produce a 28 page Calendar with the outside front and back
    cove in 4 color and inside two color.
    I have used various scanners and workarounds including the following:
    http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
    which I used untill I got the MICROTEK 5900.
    Have fun,
    Tom

    "John" <newsgroup@removetheflippinobvious.journeymen.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I run a small home based (in the UK) printing business that requires
    > me to sometimes scan children's pictures etc for printing. In the past
    > I've 'got by' by using my old cheap Umax scanner and taking
    > critical/difficult stuff to be drum scanned.
    >
    > The old scanner is now not functioning properly so I need a new one.
    >
    > There are two options as I see it
    >
    > 1 Buy another cheapish scanner (probaly now with better performance)
    > and carry on as before
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2 Buy a better quality scanner that can do almost everything including
    > perhaps photo scans from negs and slides.
    >
    > So could anyone advise as to what they consider
    >
    > 1.The best 'cheapish' scanner just for scanning artwork and drawings?
    >
    > 2. The best 'better quality scanner' for artwork and phots.
    >
    > My research so far (here and elsewhere) is pointing me in the
    > direction of te Epson 4870 in the case of the latter.
    >
    > Any comments, help or advice gratefully received.
    >
    > BTW I'm running Windows XP with USB 2

    News==----
    Newsgroups

    When it comes to making reflective scans of prints and artwork, most $70 to
    $100ish scanners from the major players like Canon and Epson will all
    perform adequately and at about the same level. One main difference will be
    the software and how well it will let you tweak setting to get a perfect
    scan. Canon's Canoscan software often does not get many good reviews in
    this respect. Once you start moving into the more expensive flatbeds, you
    can get some decent film medium format and larger scanning capabilities
    considering_the_price. Many people feel they are marginal for 35 mm and
    smaller, so as a professional you may not be satisfied. Best thing to do is
    to find a retailer that will let you test or to start Googling for some of
    the competent reviews on the internet.

    Doug
    ---
    Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
    film:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:41:29 +0000, John
    <newsgroup@removetheflippinobvious.journeymen.co.uk> wrote:

    >I run a small home based (in the UK) printing business that requires
    >me to sometimes scan children's pictures etc for printing. In the past
    >I've 'got by' by using my old cheap Umax scanner and taking
    >critical/difficult stuff to be drum scanned.
    >
    >The old scanner is now not functioning properly so I need a new one.
    >
    >There are two options as I see it
    >
    >1 Buy another cheapish scanner (probaly now with better performance)
    >and carry on as before

    There are a number of flatbed scanners in the $300 USD range that do
    very well scanning prints and documents. They would be somewhat
    higher in the UK. I'd guess on the order of 50% more.

    >or
    >
    >2 Buy a better quality scanner that can do almost everything including
    >perhaps photo scans from negs and slides.

    I don't know of any consumer scanners that do a good job on both
    prints and film.

    Depending on volume, there are a number of scanners that run on the
    order of 4000 dpi or greater for scanning 35 mm slides and negatives.
    On most film they can get right down to showing the grain in extreme
    enlargements. I would think in most cases they would give all the
    quality needed. OTOH you will probably have a bit of image
    manipulation that you haven't done before.

    These film scanners run on the order of $500 USD and up. (Way up)

    >So could anyone advise as to what they consider
    >
    >1.The best 'cheapish' scanner just for scanning artwork and drawings?

    I use an HP Scanjet 5470 for prints and documents. I don't know the
    numbers for the newer models. Normally there is no need to scan much
    above 300 dpi on a flatbed as the information just isn't there.

    >2. The best 'better quality scanner' for artwork and phots.

    My 5470 is capable of getting all the detail present in a print.
    Although not familiar with the Epsons, I'd think their higher end flat
    beds would do quite well.

    >My research so far (here and elsewhere) is pointing me in the
    >direction of te Epson 4870 in the case of the latter.
    >
    >Any comments, help or advice gratefully received.
    >
    >BTW I'm running Windows XP with USB 2

    As am I. I run both the 5470 and a Nikon LS-5000ED and have done so at
    the same time using different scanning programs. To do so takes a lot
    of computing horse power. <:-)) and really isn't necessary except in a
    couple of rare instances..

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    >---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Scanners Peripherals