  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
November 20, 2004 11:41:29 AM

I run a small home based (in the UK) printing business that requires
me to sometimes scan children's pictures etc for printing. In the past
I've 'got by' by using my old cheap Umax scanner and taking
critical/difficult stuff to be drum scanned.

The old scanner is now not functioning properly so I need a new one.

There are two options as I see it

1 Buy another cheapish scanner (probaly now with better performance)
and carry on as before

or

2 Buy a better quality scanner that can do almost everything including
perhaps photo scans from negs and slides.

So could anyone advise as to what they consider

1.The best 'cheapish' scanner just for scanning artwork and drawings?

2. The best 'better quality scanner' for artwork and phots.

My research so far (here and elsewhere) is pointing me in the
direction of te Epson 4870 in the case of the latter.

Any comments, help or advice gratefully received.

BTW I'm running Windows XP with USB 2

More about : scanner advice

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 5:15:17 PM

I have the MICROTEK 5900 with a 4x5 inch built in transparency adaptor that
does good scans of 35mm to 4x5 (9x12cm?)
I have used it to produce a 28 page Calendar with the outside front and back
cove in 4 color and inside two color.
I have used various scanners and workarounds including the following:
http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
which I used untill I got the MICROTEK 5900.
Have fun,
Tom

"John" <newsgroup@removetheflippinobvious.journeymen.co.uk> wrote in message
> I run a small home based (in the UK) printing business that requires
> me to sometimes scan children's pictures etc for printing. In the past
> I've 'got by' by using my old cheap Umax scanner and taking
> critical/difficult stuff to be drum scanned.
>
> The old scanner is now not functioning properly so I need a new one.
>
> There are two options as I see it
>
> 1 Buy another cheapish scanner (probaly now with better performance)
> and carry on as before
>
> or
>
> 2 Buy a better quality scanner that can do almost everything including
> perhaps photo scans from negs and slides.
>
> So could anyone advise as to what they consider
>
> 1.The best 'cheapish' scanner just for scanning artwork and drawings?
>
> 2. The best 'better quality scanner' for artwork and phots.
>
> My research so far (here and elsewhere) is pointing me in the
> direction of te Epson 4870 in the case of the latter.
>
> Any comments, help or advice gratefully received.
>
> BTW I'm running Windows XP with USB 2

News==----
Newsgroups
November 20, 2004 5:56:34 PM

When it comes to making reflective scans of prints and artwork, most $70 to
$100ish scanners from the major players like Canon and Epson will all
perform adequately and at about the same level. One main difference will be
the software and how well it will let you tweak setting to get a perfect
scan. Canon's Canoscan software often does not get many good reviews in
this respect. Once you start moving into the more expensive flatbeds, you
can get some decent film medium format and larger scanning capabilities
considering_the_price. Many people feel they are marginal for 35 mm and
smaller, so as a professional you may not be satisfied. Best thing to do is
to find a retailer that will let you test or to start Googling for some of
the competent reviews on the internet.

Doug
---
Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
film:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro....
November 20, 2004 10:10:07 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:41:29 +0000, John
<newsgroup@removetheflippinobvious.journeymen.co.uk> wrote:

>I run a small home based (in the UK) printing business that requires
>me to sometimes scan children's pictures etc for printing. In the past
>I've 'got by' by using my old cheap Umax scanner and taking
>critical/difficult stuff to be drum scanned.
>
>The old scanner is now not functioning properly so I need a new one.
>
>There are two options as I see it
>
>1 Buy another cheapish scanner (probaly now with better performance)
>and carry on as before

There are a number of flatbed scanners in the $300 USD range that do
very well scanning prints and documents. They would be somewhat
higher in the UK. I'd guess on the order of 50% more.

>or
>
>2 Buy a better quality scanner that can do almost everything including
>perhaps photo scans from negs and slides.

I don't know of any consumer scanners that do a good job on both
prints and film.

Depending on volume, there are a number of scanners that run on the
order of 4000 dpi or greater for scanning 35 mm slides and negatives.
On most film they can get right down to showing the grain in extreme
enlargements. I would think in most cases they would give all the
quality needed. OTOH you will probably have a bit of image
manipulation that you haven't done before.

These film scanners run on the order of $500 USD and up. (Way up)

>So could anyone advise as to what they consider
>
>1.The best 'cheapish' scanner just for scanning artwork and drawings?

I use an HP Scanjet 5470 for prints and documents. I don't know the
numbers for the newer models. Normally there is no need to scan much
above 300 dpi on a flatbed as the information just isn't there.

>2. The best 'better quality scanner' for artwork and phots.

My 5470 is capable of getting all the detail present in a print.
Although not familiar with the Epsons, I'd think their higher end flat
beds would do quite well.

>My research so far (here and elsewhere) is pointing me in the
>direction of te Epson 4870 in the case of the latter.
>
>Any comments, help or advice gratefully received.
>
>BTW I'm running Windows XP with USB 2

As am I. I run both the 5470 and a Nikon LS-5000ED and have done so at
the same time using different scanning programs. To do so takes a lot
of computing horse power. <:-)) and really isn't necessary except in a
couple of rare instances..

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

!