Epson scanner advice

I have used Smart panel with my 89 PC but after I upgraded to XP and
reinstalled my software including Epson 1260 I get the following message
"Unable to access the scanner because it is not ready or another application
is using it. Close all scanning applications."
I used to use Prestol Page manager and it is also installed and it works
though the TWAIN is ver 4 instead of ver 5
Any ideas?--
Blair Malcolm

"Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have used Smart panel with my 89 PC but after I upgraded to XP and
> reinstalled my software including Epson 1260 I get the following message
> "Unable to access the scanner because it is not ready or another
> application
> is using it. Close all scanning applications."
> I used to use Prestol Page manager and it is also installed and it works
> though the TWAIN is ver 4 instead of ver 5
> Any ideas?--
> Blair Malcolm

Is the scanner a SCSI model?
If so install ASPI from Adaptec. XP does not include ASPI support.
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

Direct link to download:
http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2.exe

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I have used Smart panel with my 89 PC but after I upgraded to XP and
> > reinstalled my software including Epson 1260 I get the following
message
> > "Unable to access the scanner because it is not ready or another
> > application
> > is using it. Close all scanning applications."
> > I used to use Prestol Page manager and it is also installed and it works
> > though the TWAIN is ver 4 instead of ver 5
> > Any ideas?--
> > Blair Malcolm
> >

> Is the scanner a SCSI model?
> If so install ASPI from Adaptec. XP does not include ASPI support.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

> Direct link to download:
> http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2.exe
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

I am not sure what that means. However the scanner has a USB connector.Does
that answer you correctly?
Blair

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >I have used Smart panel with my 89 PC but after I upgraded to XP and
>> > reinstalled my software including Epson 1260 I get the following
> message
>> > "Unable to access the scanner because it is not ready or another
>> > application
>> > is using it. Close all scanning applications."
>> > I used to use Prestol Page manager and it is also installed and it
>> > works
>> > though the TWAIN is ver 4 instead of ver 5
>> > Any ideas?--
>> > Blair Malcolm
>> >

>> Is the scanner a SCSI model?
>> If so install ASPI from Adaptec. XP does not include ASPI support.
>>
> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package
>>
>> Direct link to download:
>> http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2.exe
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --
>>
> I am not sure what that means. However the scanner has a USB
> connector.Does
> that answer you correctly?
> Blair

Yes, it does. You do not need the ASPI, as it is for SCSI connected devices
only.
Have you gone to Epson for the latest Driver for the Epson 1260? Windows XP
needs new software.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14554&prodoid=21643924&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

There are two choices.
Click on the plus sign for more information.

--

> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > message
> >> >

> >> Is the scanner a SCSI model?
> >> If so install ASPI from Adaptec. XP does not include ASPI support.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

> >> Direct link to download:
> >> http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2.exe
> >>
> >> --
> >> CSM1
> >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> >> --
> >>
> > I am not sure what that means. However the scanner has a USB
> > connector.Does
> > that answer you correctly?
> > Blair
> >

> Yes, it does. You do not need the ASPI, as it is for SCSI connected
devices
> only.
> Have you gone to Epson for the latest Driver for the Epson 1260? Windows
XP
> needs new software.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14554&prodoid=21643924&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

> There are two choices.
> Click on the plus sign for more information.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

Yes I downloaded the latest driver which is TWAIN 5
I ran the scanner on my 98 system with Page manager OK.In addition I ran
Smart Panel
With my new system running XP I can run Page manager (TWAIN is Ver 4)
I have downloaded TWAIN Ver 5 but page manager still opts for Ver 4
I cab open Smart Panel but when I try and open the TWAIN driver, I get the
message"Unable to access the scanner because it is not ready or neither
supplication d using it."
Somehow XP is excluding Smart Panel
Any further ideas?
Blair

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

>> > message

> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

>> > I am not sure what that means. However the scanner has a USB
>> > connector.Does
>> > that answer you correctly?
>> > Blair
>> >

>> Yes, it does. You do not need the ASPI, as it is for SCSI connected
> devices
>> only.
>> Have you gone to Epson for the latest Driver for the Epson 1260? Windows
> XP
>> needs new software.
>>

> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14554&prodoid=21643924&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows
>>
>> There are two choices.
>> Click on the plus sign for more information.
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --
>
> Yes I downloaded the latest driver which is TWAIN 5
> I ran the scanner on my 98 system with Page manager OK.In addition I ran
> Smart Panel
> With my new system running XP I can run Page manager (TWAIN is Ver 4)
> I have downloaded TWAIN Ver 5 but page manager still opts for Ver 4
> I cab open Smart Panel but when I try and open the TWAIN driver, I get
> the
> message"Unable to access the scanner because it is not ready or neither
> supplication d using it."
> Somehow XP is excluding Smart Panel
> Any further ideas?
> Blair

Have you uninstalled Twain 4?

In Page Manager and in Smart Panel re-run the Scanner setup, if there is a
scanner setup.

I think there is a Select Twain Source in Page Manager that lets you choose
the TWAIN driver.
I do not know if Smart Panel also has a Select Twain Source, Look for it.

Why can't I start EPSON TWAIN?
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=14554&prodoid=21643924&foid=32494&cat=30980&subcat=30983

Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQs&oid=14553&prodoid=21643923&category=Products

--

> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

> >> Yes, it does. You do not need the ASPI, as it is for SCSI connected
> > devices
> >> only.
> >> Have you gone to Epson for the latest Driver for the Epson 1260?
Windows
> > XP
> >> needs new software.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14554&prodoid=21643924&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

> >> There are two choices.
> >> Click on the plus sign for more information.
> >>
> >> --
> >> CSM1
> >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> >> --
> >
> > Yes I downloaded the latest driver which is TWAIN 5
> > I ran the scanner on my 98 system with Page manager OK.In addition I ran
> > Smart Panel
> > With my new system running XP I can run Page manager (TWAIN is Ver 4)
> > I have downloaded TWAIN Ver 5 but page manager still opts for Ver 4
> > I cab open Smart Panel but when I try and open the TWAIN driver, I get
> > the
> > message"Unable to access the scanner because it is not ready or neither
> > supplication d using it."
> > Somehow XP is excluding Smart Panel
> > Any further ideas?
> > Blair
> >

> Have you uninstalled Twain 4?
>
> In Page Manager and in Smart Panel re-run the Scanner setup, if there is
> scanner setup.
>
> I think there is a Select Twain Source in Page Manager that lets you
choose
> the TWAIN driver.
> I do not know if Smart Panel also has a Select Twain Source, Look for it.
>
> Why can't I start EPSON TWAIN?

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=14554&prodoid=21643924&foid=32494&cat=30980&subcat=30983

> Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQs&oid=14553&prodoid=21643923&category=Products

> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

Thanks for you help. After reading all the articles I chose to delete all
files and start again
When I tried to download the software I got the message"In the current
Windows system there are no applications which will run normally" So I could
not download the Page manager
I did download the Smart Panel but when I tried to run it I got"Unable to
access he Scanner because it is not ready or another application is using
it"
Both programmes run on my 98 PC OK
Blair

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> and

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

> > > devices
> Windows
> > > XP

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14554&prodoid=21643924&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

> > > Yes I downloaded the latest driver which is TWAIN 5
> > > I ran the scanner on my 98 system with Page manager OK.In addition I
ran
> > > Smart Panel
> > > With my new system running XP I can run Page manager (TWAIN is Ver 4)
> > > I have downloaded TWAIN Ver 5 but page manager still opts for Ver 4
> > > I cab open Smart Panel but when I try and open the TWAIN driver, I
get
> > > the
> > > message"Unable to access the scanner because it is not ready or
neither
> > > supplication d using it."
> > > Somehow XP is excluding Smart Panel
> > > Any further ideas?
> > > Blair
> > >

> > Have you uninstalled Twain 4?
> >
> > In Page Manager and in Smart Panel re-run the Scanner setup, if there
is
> > scanner setup.
> >
> > I think there is a Select Twain Source in Page Manager that lets you
> choose
> > the TWAIN driver.
> > I do not know if Smart Panel also has a Select Twain Source, Look for
it.

> > Why can't I start EPSON TWAIN?

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=14554&prodoid=21643924&foid=32494&cat=30980&subcat=30983

> > Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQs&oid=14553&prodoid=21643923&category=Products

> > --
> > CSM1
> > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> > --
> >
> Thanks for you help. After reading all the articles I chose to delete all
> files and start again
> When I tried to download the software I got the message"In the current
> Windows system there are no applications which will run normally" So I
could
> not download the Page manager
> I did download the Smart Panel but when I tried to run it I got"Unable to
> access he Scanner because it is not ready or another application is using
> it"
> Both programmes run on my 98 PC OK
> Blair

I hope you have disconnected the scanner before installing software because
the software has to be fully installed before connecting the scanner.

Be sure to turn off all virus scanning software you may have installed on
your computer before installing Epson software.

Start Here Card.
http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pr126_/pr126_bb.pdf
Must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view above file.

Did you just delete the files or did you do a un-install of all of the Epson
software via Window Add/Remove programs in the control panel?

If you just deleted the files, you made a huge error.
Windows puts "stuff" all over the windows operating system to install
software and Device drivers. There are procedures to remove the software
that must be used.

I do not know what else I can help you with.

You seem to have done everything possible, except a system clean out of all
of the Epson Scanner files and Epson scanner entries in the Windows
registry.

Also a clean install of Windows XP would put the computer to like new
condition.

That is not a job for someone not an expert on their computer.
You probably need to find an expert in your area.

--

> [...]
Epson
> software via Window Add/Remove programs in the control panel?
>
> If you just deleted the files, you made a huge error.
> Windows puts "stuff" all over the windows operating system to install
> software and Device drivers. There are procedures to remove the software
> that must be used.
>
> I do not know what else I can help you with.
>
> You seem to have done everything possible, except a system clean out of
all
> of the Epson Scanner files and Epson scanner entries in the Windows
> registry.
>
> Also a clean install of Windows XP would put the computer to like new
> condition.
>
> That is not a job for someone not an expert on their computer.
> You probably need to find an expert in your area.

Thanks for your help.
By using the information you gave me I have at last succeeded in getting the
latest TWAIN driver working on my XP
Everything is sweetness and light again
Regards
Blair