Problem accessing Tom's

Tags:
  • Website Opinions
  • Internet Explorer
  • Desktops
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Forum Feedback
August 16, 2007 5:07:04 PM

Having problems accessing Tom's Hardware. I have both an old desktop and a laptop. The problem is occurring on both machines, but happens much more frequently on the desktop. The problem only happens when accessing Tom's.

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site http://www. tomshardware.com/
Operation aborted

This problem might appear when first attempting to access Tom’s or when changing pages in an article.

Running Internet Explorer version : 7.0.5730.11 on both systems.

Desktop: 1GHz Pentium III with 384 MB and running Windows XP Home.
Notebook: HP Pavilion, AMD Turion ML-37, 1 GB RAM and running XP Media Center.

This problem first started occurring three or more weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse on the desktop. I'm running Spy Sweeper and McAfee on both machines. I think the problem might be related to McAfee. The difficulty first appeared after an update from McAfee and they've been doing a great number of lengthy updates lately, which makes me think there might be a bug or three.

But again the problem only occurs when I'm attempting to access Tom's. It happens over half the time with my desktop and about 25 percent of the time with my notebook. Before I uninstall McAfee and do some testing, I thought I would post here and see if you knew anything about it.

I have done numerous scans for both spyware and viruses, but none has been revealed. I also have the latest updates for XP.

Tom

More about : problem accessing tom

August 16, 2007 6:31:48 PM

I just got a can't open after clicking on the UPS article from my Igoogle. And now it works..
August 24, 2007 1:55:16 AM

Do you get the problem when visiting other Tom's sites? Like Germany, UK, China?