Sign in with
Your question

What is happening at Toms?

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2006 11:32:15 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/24/extreme_compactf...
No comparisons to "other" CF flash cards?
Ex.
Sandisk Extreme III
TwinMOS Ultra X
Insert other CF card here

What is happening to Tom's?

Note: This is not the authors fault here. Who ever is managing this site, and approving articles without ANY competitive comparisons should be fired. Does Tom's hardware have any values, morals or mission when producing articles?

I can tell you that Tom Pabst, your namesake wrote complete articles with objective comparisons for the purpose of giving your readers an impartial view so they can make informed purchase decisions.

What do you think people are going to take away from this article? Wow Sandisk product A is way faster that Sandisk product B. Now I've narrowed my purchase down to Sandisk or Sandisk!

Tom's Hardware may have a new look, but the meat behind the flash, your objective nerve is slipping. I've had a Tom's link on my browser for 10 years... seriously considering about permanently deleting it. :cry: 

More about : happening toms

October 25, 2006 12:07:34 AM

don't like it - get the fuck outta here

TOM'S RE5PECT
October 25, 2006 12:11:21 AM

Quote:
I've had a Tom's link on my browser for 10 years... seriously considering about permanently deleting it. :cry: 

and only 2 forum posts, shame on you! :twisted:
Related resources
October 25, 2006 12:12:43 AM

lets see if he can go another ten years with 2 posts
October 25, 2006 12:25:58 AM

WASTELAND
October 25, 2006 12:35:49 AM

Quote:

:lol: 

Now you're a tits-man too?

Apologize for the adult contents.
October 25, 2006 12:37:17 AM

Quote:

FLMAO - good idea boobman
October 25, 2006 12:42:19 AM

Quote:
Who ever is managing this site, and approving articles without ANY competitive comparisons should be fired.

Harsh. And rude.

Did it occur to you that perhaps those are the only two cards reviewed because no other manufacturers submitted product for review?

Did you consider sending a PM to the author to find out what's up before spouting off and making yourself look like an arse?
October 25, 2006 1:44:19 AM

Quote:
Who ever is managing this site, and approving articles without ANY competitive comparisons should be fired.

Harsh. And rude.

Did it occur to you that perhaps those are the only two cards reviewed because no other manufacturers submitted product for review?

Did you consider sending a PM to the author to find out what's up before spouting off and making yourself look like an arse?

So hardware sites sit back and just review what is handed to them?
Did it not occur to you how that system is impractical and would result in 2-3 products per review?
Have you seen Tom's VGA charts?
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/04/vga_charts_iv/pa...
Do you think Nvidia and ATi magically dropped off all 100 cards on their doorstep just for the chart?

I might note that those VGA charts are the sort of comprehensive journalism that made this site what it is. This other type of "product showcase" reviews is the exact opposite.
October 25, 2006 3:26:14 AM

He's right, Tom's usually gets 1-3 graphics cards at a time. The only reason the VGA charts have worked so well is that several THG offices have collected samples over time.
October 25, 2006 4:31:53 AM

So Tom's reuses previously reviewed items for comparative benchmarks like the VGA charts. Excellent.

Strange how THG was able to find 13 memory sticks in this review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/16/summer_2006_memo...

But was only able to find 2 CF cards for this review. Now I have 3 CF cards in my house, so I imagine with multiple THG offices crammed with techies you would be able to find at least a few dozen brands of CF cards?

Either way I think I've made my point. I hope that THG will try to provide more comparative articles in the future, or just do "product showcase" articles without useless "single brand" benchmarks.
October 25, 2006 4:35:08 AM

Quote:
Harsh. And rude.

Harsh and rude is relative. Have you ever heard the Jerky Boys / Eddie Murphy / Howard Stern? Prepare to have a heart attack dear sir.
October 25, 2006 4:38:50 AM

October 25, 2006 6:17:55 AM

Fine, tell them they need an update and to send the reader to you, then you can test your cards and give them the results :p 
October 25, 2006 12:59:54 PM

Quote:
Harsh. And rude.

Harsh and rude is relative. Have you ever heard the Jerky Boys / Eddie Murphy / Howard Stern? Prepare to have a heart attack dear sir.

Oh, please :roll: Yes I've heard of them.

Harsh is harsh my friend. While your post may not have been as colorful as what you get from your Hollywood idols, it was certainly uncalled for.
October 25, 2006 1:04:10 PM

Quote:
So Tom's reuses previously reviewed items for comparative benchmarks like the VGA charts. Excellent.

So, they should re-run all the tests of all previous cards when a new product ships, just to get test results that will be identical to those of the previous tests? THat makes no sense.
October 25, 2006 1:40:02 PM

Quote:
I've had a Tom's link on my browser for 10 years... seriously considering about permanently deleting it. :cry: 

and only 2 forum posts, shame on you! :twisted:

pfffftloloLOLOLOlolo

spanked...sideways

8)-~
October 25, 2006 1:42:57 PM

Quote:

Meaning of "pwned" : SEE ABOVE

btw...TH ownes.... period

8)-~
October 25, 2006 1:46:30 PM

Quote:

FLMAO - good idea boobman

TnAMan!
October 25, 2006 2:05:34 PM

A valid question - WHO OWNS THG AND HOW IS THE CAPITAL STRUCTURE BROKEN DOWN?
October 25, 2006 2:12:29 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!

*wipes eyes*

hehe . . . thank you for this thread, and that piccie. . . good laffs to start out my day
October 25, 2006 2:28:03 PM

Yatta! Yatta!

Am I the only person who actually knows who those guys are and the name of their group? (Green Leaf btw)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yatta

I actually thought the music vid and live stage performances were pretty funny and entertaining, albeit a bit weird. And I doubt their gay, they're all very smart Japanese men who earned millions for dancing around in underwear and singing a random song.

Postwise, eh, Tom is allowed to have sponsors and have some biased articles once in a time. Capitalism is usually a good thing. You can only whine if you voted, and I doubt you voted for anything here at Tom's. Same goes to everybody who complains about politics.
October 25, 2006 2:31:28 PM

Are you perhaps mildly retarded?

Yes I expect them the benchmark every CF card in the world every time, 24 hours a day, 365 days year, while balancing on a unicycle.

Nice and slow now, once again:
<i>I hope that THG will try to provide more comparative articles in the future, or just do "product showcase" articles without useless "single brand" benchmarks.</i>

Easy translation for SpongeBob:
<b>More than one brand per review, lets say minimum 3 or 4. </b>

As for the gay pic and the LMAO pffffttt, apparently this thread is filled with children.
October 25, 2006 2:56:03 PM

There are no unicycles in the Culver City lab, someone should put in a suggestion to Patrick.
October 25, 2006 2:58:30 PM

AFAIK, THG doesn't have 'Editors', which is apparent with their many spelling/grammatical errors, and major blunders, such as (but not limited to) providing pictures in the article of completely different hardware than what was being reviewed.

THG has a history of shamelessly plugging random products, suspiciously. Often, these articles read more like product brochures than reviews. Good examples are the Falcon-NW articles THG 'produces'.

THG has a lot of good articles: they're just not written with a whole lot of professionalism. You have to know what to look out for (like pitting a $5000 versus a $1200 computer as a 'reference' system to skew the charts ;)  ).

A comparison with competition would have been nice, and one would assume that comparing a product to its competitors is Hardware Reviewing 101, but anyone who has been around for a while knows that is expecting too much.

Anyway; decent articles once you sift out the garbage. Good community (Now that MMM is gone/in hiding).
October 25, 2006 3:25:18 PM

I can appreciate your point of view although I think it might have been a little harsh imo. I too prefer articles which compare like products to one another. However there are many ways to write a product ariticle and often its good to just do a write-up of a new product to "introduce" it to your readers.

Now in the future if there is a comparison of memory cards (which for all we know might already be a planned followup to this one) then I'm sure theres a good chance it will include this card as well.

I too have been reading Toms for 10 years. And a long time ago I did post occasionally under a different account. I don't have a ton of posts now either although I only recently started a forum account here on Toms again.

Things change. Sometimes for the good, other times for the bad. I don't see any mark journalistically upon Tom's site for mixing up the type of articles due to the fact some will welcome more single product reviews while obviously some don't.

I for one will continue to read Tom's even if I do think on the rare occasion a review/preview is a tad biased. We are all human, fallable and inclined to have our own personal preferences. Sometimes strong enough even the best of us let it show through a little.

In closing, again don't be quite so harsh in judging the site as a whole. I know of not a single PERFECT website for all my info needs and I doubt anyone can show me a perfect one either. So take each article for what its worth. If it helps you in some way whether informative or to make a personal choice so be it. If it does not then move on to the next article and realize that article DID help SOMEONE out there. Peace :) 
October 25, 2006 4:57:57 PM

Quote:
Are you perhaps mildly retarded?

Yes I expect them the benchmark every CF card in the world every time, 24 hours a day, 365 days year, while balancing on a unicycle.

Nice and slow now, once again:
<i>I hope that THG will try to provide more comparative articles in the future, or just do "product showcase" articles without useless "single brand" benchmarks.</i>

Easy translation for SpongeBob:
<b>More than one brand per review, lets say minimum 3 or 4. </b>

As for the gay pic and the LMAO pffffttt, apparently this thread is filled with children.

reloloaffharhoehee

I just retired as a Sr. systems engineer and you are not unlike a "DEE DEE DEEEE!"

for you i quote Herman Hesse and "Steppenwolf" : "If one does not learn to laugh at ones self, you are bound to a non existence and have no future"...

:roll:

now....go back and retool your headgear ID-10-t

8)-`
October 25, 2006 5:37:05 PM

hahahaha, nice photo. I will use it as a spray in cs:s just for the fun of it!!
October 25, 2006 6:33:23 PM

I personally like AnandTech, but havent explored many forumz beyond THG. I would love to know how many registered users each one has, so I can go to a site that has 1000s of people on it, getting answers instantaneously. Any ideas for well populated forumz?
October 25, 2006 8:19:45 PM

Quote:

reloloaffharhoehee

I just retired as a Sr. systems engineer and you are not unlike a "DEE DEE DEEEE!"

for you i quote Herman Hesse and "Steppenwolf" : "If one does not learn to laugh at ones self, you are bound to a non existence and have no future"...

:roll:

now....go back and retool your headgear ID-10-t

8)-`

Hmmm not sure what any of that means, but your Steppenwolf/HH quote is completely made up. I have read steppenwolf/sidartha several times and as you can see for yourself in the Google book search:
http://books.google.com/books?q=steppenwolf&btnG=Search...
Your quote is completely made up. In fact the one passage that does reference laughing at ones situation, questions the value of that detachment.

As for the "you are bound to a non existence and have no future" you completely made that up, nice try!
October 25, 2006 8:23:32 PM

Quote:
I personally like AnandTech, but havent explored many forumz beyond THG. I would love to know how many registered users each one has, so I can go to a site that has 1000s of people on it, getting answers instantaneously. Any ideas for well populated forumz?

You just described the forums at Hardocp:
http://www.hardforum.com/

With 70 000 members and 4.5 million posts, this is _the_ geek forum for your needs. Members are generally respectful, moderators are quick to act. You will also notice the lack of immaturity prevalent in this thread.
October 25, 2006 8:24:41 PM

Quote:
TnAMan!

LOL

F.u.c.k. boobs, I'm an assman

image removed by mod
October 25, 2006 9:26:29 PM

Quote:
TnAMan!

LOL

F.u.c.k. boobs, I'm an assman

image removed by mod

I can understand that approach. Time to bump up the front side bus.
October 25, 2006 9:44:04 PM

a little 'skin' never hurt anybody
October 25, 2006 11:24:40 PM

that wouldn't be patrick star would it?lol
or my mabe Mr. Crabbs could get one.
October 25, 2006 11:35:57 PM

Quote:
image removed by mod

turned out to be inappropriate after all :wink:
October 26, 2006 12:22:43 AM

you post some good sh#t but try to keep it a little more
well there are youngsters viewing this :D 
October 26, 2006 12:29:36 AM

lol

first post is a flame on an article?
October 26, 2006 12:37:37 AM

lol RE5PECT
October 26, 2006 12:40:26 AM

i know, i'm no big poster myself. but he did come in here doggin on thg.i see his point of view, but with only two post's in ten year's he should know that the flames were gonna fly :wink:

[edit]the two post in ten years was on diff. thread,sorry.
October 26, 2006 12:40:28 AM

:D 
October 26, 2006 12:48:18 AM

I should start a new thread, especially for 'Assfans', just don't know how to relate it to computer hardware/software lol
October 26, 2006 12:50:58 AM

Quote:
[edit]the two post in ten years was on diff. thread,sorry.

lol, it was in this thread, check the first page
October 26, 2006 12:53:46 AM

Quote:
I should start a new thread, especially for 'Assfans', just don't know how to relate it to computer hardware/software lol

you seem to be a fast learner, i think you will come up with something :D 
October 26, 2006 12:55:00 AM

thanx for the compliment, :lol:  8)
October 26, 2006 12:56:43 AM

I stand corrected said the bow legged man, i guess i should re-edit my edit. :oops: 
October 26, 2006 1:05:00 AM

i'll buy it tomarrow :lol: 
October 26, 2006 1:06:19 AM

it's Out Of Stock :lol: 
October 26, 2006 1:12:22 AM

No way :cry:  there's also no reviews on it or bench marks, not that i can find. but that's cheap
!