Netgear Support. What a Joke!

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Don't get me wrong, all of my netgear products are working flawlessly.
Attached to my cable modem is my Netgear WGR814 v2 router with the
wireless portion disabled. My Netgear WGR614v1 is attached to the
WGR814 and is my access point. Inserted in my notebook computer is the
Netgear WR511T card. All of them are working great. Now, I want to try
updating my encryption to WPA-PSK using the firmware upgrade v2.03. You
know the one that was posted on the Netgear website and then removed.
Anyway, I sent tech support a simple email message but their responses
were nothing but. You decide.

Original message: Have owners of the WGR614 v1 router expressed any
concerns, gripes, issues, etc. after upgrading the firmware to version 2.03?

Reply: v2.03 is beta software. The final version has not been released.

Second Reply: Thanks for the reply, however, my question went
unanswered so I'll ask
it again. "Have owners of the WGR614 v1 router expressed any concerns,
gripes, issues, etc. after upgrading the firmware to version 2.03?" If
so, what are some of their complaints? This is not an attack on
Netgear. Besides, I often test beta software. However, if the concerns
associated with this particular firmware upgrade are too great, I'll opt
to wait for the final release instead of dealing with the headaches
sometimes associated with beta software. So please answer my question.
Thanks in advance.

Reply: Hello:

I believe the 2.03 firmware was taken off the site in error as there has
been major housekeeping going on there. I have sent the file as an
attachment in a seperate e-mail.

Regards

Romany Saad
Netgear Support
support@esupport.netgear.com

Third message: Once again, thanks for the reply, however, my question
went unanswered so I'll ask
it again. "Have owners of the WGR614 v1 router expressed any concerns,
gripes, issues, etc. after upgrading the firmware to version 2.03?" If
so, what are some of their complaints? This is not an attack on
Netgear. Besides, I often test beta software. However, if the concerns
associated with this particular firmware upgrade are too great, I'll opt
to wait for the final release instead of dealing with the headaches
sometimes associated with beta software. So please answer my question.
Thanks in advance.

Reply: Hello:

My apologies. I mentioned that the firmware was taken off in error and
not due to customer complaints. So to answer the question: There has
not been any issues reported with the 2.03 firmware that are necessarily
a problem with the firmware. In other words, I have not seen a single
issue crop up over and over again as a result of using this firmware.

Regards

Romany Saad
Netgear Support
support@esupport.netgear.com

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Compared to my recent experience with Netgear support I'd call yours
wildly successful. I asked about a doc error regarding configuring VPN
on one of their routers (FWAG114). I have the VPN Tracker client on a
Mac which has nothing to do with their doc error and less to do with the
Win XP client doc they sent in response. (In Word of course.)

I filed a BBB complaint today over the $25 they charged to give me the
correction or at least enough info so I could figure it out myself. It
probably won't go anywhere but it made me feel a little better.

Doug Jamal wrote:
> [...]
> gripes, issues, etc. after upgrading the firmware to version 2.03?" If
> so, what are some of their complaints? This is not an attack on
> Netgear. Besides, I often test beta software. However, if the concerns
> associated with this particular firmware upgrade are too great, I'll opt
> to wait for the final release instead of dealing with the headaches
> sometimes associated with beta software. So please answer my question.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Reply: Hello:
>
> My apologies. I mentioned that the firmware was taken off in error and
> not due to customer complaints. So to answer the question: There has
> not been any issues reported with the 2.03 firmware that are necessarily
> a problem with the firmware. In other words, I have not seen a single
> issue crop up over and over again as a result of using this firmware.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:31:10 GMT, Doug Jamal
<notimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Don't get me wrong, all of my netgear products are working flawlessly.

That is amazing. None of my Netgear products work the way they
should. You probably haven't tried to enable WEP or WPA because that
is when Netgear products typically fail.

cuejke wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:31:10 GMT, Doug Jamal
> <notimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Don't get me wrong, all of my netgear products are working flawlessly.
>

> That is amazing. None of my Netgear products work the way they
> should. You probably haven't tried to enable WEP or WPA because that
> is when Netgear products typically fail.

To the Contrary, WEP is enabled (128bit). I haven't been able to
successfully enable WPA-PSK with the beta firmware update. I kept
getting continuous connects / disconnects. Still, I've had no problem
with WEP being enabled.

mm

"cuejke" <lskajdfh@oiwertu.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:31:10 GMT, Doug Jamal
> <notimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Don't get me wrong, all of my netgear products are working flawlessly.
>
> That is amazing. None of my Netgear products work the way they
> should. You probably haven't tried to enable WEP or WPA because that
> is when Netgear products typically fail.

All mine work fine too - sure its not user error ? ;)

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:31:10 GMT, Doug Jamal
<notimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Don't get me wrong, all of my netgear products are working flawlessly.
>Attached to my cable modem is my Netgear WGR814 v2 router with the
>wireless portion disabled. My Netgear WGR614v1 is attached to the
>WGR814 and is my access point. Inserted in my notebook computer is the
>Netgear WR511T card. All of them are working great. Now, I want to try
>updating my encryption to WPA-PSK using the firmware upgrade v2.03. You
>know the one that was posted on the Netgear website and then removed.
>Anyway, I sent tech support a simple email message but their responses
>were nothing but. You decide.

wow ,you got a reply not an autoresponder with all the FAQ's? well
done.

I have a WGR614 v3 and if i have spi switched on i cant visit hotmail
or msn sites,,also from netgear support web page it isnt clear which
firmware to download for my router,,it needs a major sort out or
netgear will find that people will not buy their products anymore

Archived from groups: (More info?)

In message <nmko60910v3l3215difp8msqbvb886erp5@4ax.com>, tarquinlinbin
<fleagle@myrealbox.com> writes
>wow ,you got a reply not an autoresponder with all the FAQ's? well
>done.
>
>I have a WGR614 v3 and if i have spi switched on i cant visit hotmail
>or msn sites,,also from netgear support web page it isnt clear which
>firmware to download for my router,,it needs a major sort out or
>netgear will find that people will not buy their products anymore

I emailed them with my problem (wireless access stopped when I changed
config, would not restart when I restored original config). I don't
know if it was an auto-responder, as it took 2 days, but it just said
they didn't deal with problems by email, I had to use their (very
expensive) phone line.

I think I've learned a lesson - before buying anything, try to submit a
dummy problem to the support line: if you don't get a good response, try
another brand.

--
Clive Page