$1200 USD budget.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Doing a build for a family member of mine, plans to do some heavy gaming due to that he got moved to a better area of his work, and will have more free time now. Plans to play a lot of the new Battlefield 2142, some RTS's and most likely Counterstrike Source. I picked out this monitor, leaving me around 1000 left to work with:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SEARCH&Ntt=Viewsonic&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&D=Viewsonic&Ntk=All&product_code=52105051&Pn=VG2021m_20_inch_LCD_Multimedia_Monitor

Im hoping it to revolve around a Core2Duo setup with hopefully 2GB of ram. No overclocking involved in this project, and probably will have XP home, which is 90 bucks. List i just made came out to 1300 and change, over the budget unforutnately, but it was a good list. :cry: Help is appreciated. Thanks :D

G

I just came up with this within 5 minutes for you. Doesn't have the case, don't know if you have one. Get a cheap one, add lots of fans, and youd be good to go.

Gigabyte MOBO
7800GS
e6300
2Gb Ram
250GB HD
CD Drive
550W PSU
XP Home- $90

Total is $1005.93, plus shipping. That mobo is a great OC, I know you said no, but o well.

If you want a better case or something better, downgrade the MOBO to the S3 and get another $30 or so for something else.. Its just as good as DS3, except for raid and capacitors.

Hope it helps!

No overclocking involved in this project
If you are certain that you don't want to overclock you can upgrade the CPU to E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz and use this motherboard MSI P965 Neo-F.
Just so you're clear that motherboard is not a good choice for overclocking (speed for free). It is a good, stable basic C2D MB for a good price. MSI P965 Neo-F review
The MSI P965 Neo-F is also recommeded in the Midrange Buyer's Guide - September 2006 over at http://anandtech.com/guides/

pqi TURBO 2GB DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) $196 after rebate is the RAM I'd suggest for the non-overclocking system.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Nice setup, looks really good. Might change to the MSI, havent decided yet. Since this comp will be done close to his birthday, i probably will buy the case for em. Thanks though guys, i wouldnt have done it without ya :D