Your question

Unsure About PSU... PLEASE HELP!

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
October 25, 2006 1:27:01 AM

I will soon be building a computer, and have already started ordering a few parts. I'm very unsure of what size psu to get. Can someone help me out?

My computer will include:

Case:
NZXT LEXA-NP ATX Mid Tower
Hard Drive:
Western Digital Raptor 150 GB WD1500ADFD
Mobo:
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card:
ATI Radeon X1950XTX
CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

I'm not sure what I'll be buying for RAM but I hope to have 2 1gb sticks of ddr2 800.
I have an HP dvd640 that I'll be putting in there also.

I've used an online calculator for this but I just wanted to get more opinions on what i should buy.

Thanks in advance!
If there is any other info needed just ask!

More about : unsure psu

October 25, 2006 2:32:11 AM

First of all, what do you plan on using the computer for. You listed some high end parts. Personally, some middle of the road parts function just as well unless you specificially need/want the expensive stuff.

I believe the parts you listed are parts you already bought. If so, then ignore my recommendations for those components.

PSU: MSI TurboStream at Newegg for $78, here. For the price, I don't think it can be beat. 600W, 22A on both rails. Very nice specs indeed. Though, I personally like the HIPER 580W PSU because of the molex cables, here. It's $110 after shipping unless you don't care about the color and get the red one for 15 bucks cheaper.

Memory: If you are planning on getting DDR2 800 Ram, then I'm assuming you plan on overclocking. Get some CAS latency 4 RAM 2x1GB sticks. Whatever brand you prefer. If not, then just get PQI Turbo DDR2 667 from Newegg for around $180.

Mobo: ASUS P5B-E, Abit AB9 Pro, or Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB Perpendicular Drive SATA 3.0GB/s

Video Card: Any $199 X1950Pro at zipzoomfly. This is currently the best bang for the buck. If you really want the X1950XTX, I would wait until the DX10 card comes out in 2 weeks from Nvidia. I'm sure the card might drop by 50 bucks or more. Maybe it'll have a nice 100 or 150 dollar MIR like the X1900XTX's have had recently.

CPU: The E6700 is a very nice chip but I think it's expensive for the performance. If you don't plan on OC'ing and want it, by all means, get it, but I'd get the E6400 or E6600 and OC the sh*t out-of-it. The E6400 will almost reach X6800 performance and it's only 220 bucks. Significantly cheaper than the E6700.

Case: Just as an alternative, the Antec P180B or any Lian Li case in your budget would do nicely. I don't know anything about that case to say yes or no. It looks okay though I believe the Lian Li's will have better cooling capability.

Monitor: If you don't have a monitor, the Viewsonic VX922 is a popular gaming monitor. I recently bought the Viewsonic VX2235wm. It's 22" of widescreen bliss. I got it at Costco for $299. Damn is it nice.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2006 2:37:38 AM

Agree with the recommendation but that raptor IS worth it =), even if benchmark dont show that big of a difference, man they are responsive.

I do suggest getting a 74 gig and another 200+ gig hd, almost the same price, more capacity, I can even get by a 36gig for OS, and apps, 74 to install games/apps/os...
Related resources
October 25, 2006 8:35:08 AM

Yeah but with the 150GB youre paying half per GB than with the other two :wink:
October 25, 2006 9:25:18 AM

I've really been disappointed by my 620 watt Liberty so I surely can't recommend the 500. I know of a few reviewers that have soured on the Libertys too. I think the +12V spec is over-rated.
October 25, 2006 10:27:46 AM

The Lexa case isn't too shabby cooling wise with 3 250mm fans (one blowing air over the hard drives, one on the side window at graphic card level and an exhaust one at the rear plus an 80mm exhaust fan on the top, looks good too :wink: ).
October 25, 2006 2:45:37 PM

Quote:
The Lexa case isn't too shabby cooling wise with 3 250mm fans (one blowing air over the hard drives, one on the side window at graphic card level and an exhaust one at the rear plus an 80mm exhaust fan on the top, looks good too :wink: ).

Close, but not close enough. 3 120mm fan, not 3 250mm, and there is an optional 80mm fan mount on the bottom that can be used as intake.

Nice case, I was thinking of getting it, but the NZXT Zero sort of won me over with 7 120mm fans and 1 80mm fans with one more able to be on the bottom. We'll see though.

I would recommend the 600W GameXStream. Rock-solid, looks damn nice, and will take you wherever you need and some more. Only around 113 bucks.

http://www.directron.com/ocz600gxssli.html

I would also recommend shopping at Directron since their prices are usually the cheapest while still having a good reseller rating.
October 25, 2006 3:36:50 PM

( :oops:  , reading something completely different) 7 120mm fans 8O, now thats a lot of fans, I'll have to see if I can find one. Only the gods know what it sounds like though, I'd hope that its got good sound proofing (even if they are low rpm jobbies).
!