"Slave" drive not recognized on New XP install

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

My old Hard Drive crashed and I replaced it with a 120Gig and at the same
time switched from W2K to XP Pro.

The problem is that I had the files from the old drive - about 30 Gig
worth - saved to the old slave HD but XP won't recognize and "Letter" the
"Slave" until it's reformated which means that I'd lose all the files, which
something I can't have happen.

There has to be a way around this and if anyone can help I'd be very
grateful.

Thanks,

Joe
6 answers Last reply
More about slave drive recognized install
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Right click My Computer and select Manage. Then select
    Storage/Disk Management. You should see the dive and will
    be able to assign a letter. You may have a problem reading
    the drive and will need to take ownership of the drive.
    see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    "Joe" <jgbsysNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | My old Hard Drive crashed and I replaced it with a 120Gig
    and at the same
    | time switched from W2K to XP Pro.
    |
    | The problem is that I had the files from the old drive -
    about 30 Gig
    | worth - saved to the old slave HD but XP won't recognize
    and "Letter" the
    | "Slave" until it's reformated which means that I'd lose
    all the files, which
    | something I can't have happen.
    |
    | There has to be a way around this and if anyone can help
    I'd be very
    | grateful.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Joe

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    So far - No Go - The drive is listed in the "Device Manager" but when I go
    to "Computer Management" both drives are shown - Main (C:) & Backup - which
    should be (D:) but isn't.
    When I right-click C: I get several options - Open, Explore, Change drive
    letter & path & Help.
    When I right click "Backup" the one without the letter I only have 2
    options - Delete partition & Help

    Under "Status" both drivers are listed as "Healthy" with C: drive listed as
    (System) & Backup as (Active).

    Using DISKPART - list disk - bith diskd show up. C: as Disk 0 & Backup as
    Disk 1.
    If I use the ASSIGN command will it caise the drive to reformat or will it
    just assign the drive #?

    Thanks again,

    Joe

    > Right click My Computer and select Manage. Then select
    > Storage/Disk Management. You should see the dive and will
    > be able to assign a letter. You may have a problem reading
    > the drive and will need to take ownership of the drive.
    > see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    > "Joe" <jgbsysNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | My old Hard Drive crashed and I replaced it with a 120Gig
    > and at the same
    > | time switched from W2K to XP Pro.
    > |
    > | The problem is that I had the files from the old drive -
    > about 30 Gig
    > | worth - saved to the old slave HD but XP won't recognize
    > and "Letter" the
    > | "Slave" until it's reformated which means that I'd lose
    > all the files, which
    > | something I can't have happen.
    > |
    > | There has to be a way around this and if anyone can help
    > I'd be very
    > | grateful.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Joe

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > So far - No Go - The drive is listed in the "Device Manager" but when I go
    > to "Computer Management" both drives are shown - Main (C:) & Backup -
    > which should be (D:) but isn't.
    > When I right-click C: I get several options - Open, Explore, Change drive
    > letter & path & Help.
    > When I right click "Backup" the one without the letter I only have 2
    > options - Delete partition & Help
    >
    > Under "Status" both drivers are listed as "Healthy" with C: drive listed
    > as (System) & Backup as (Active).
    >
    > Using DISKPART - list disk - bith diskd show up. C: as Disk 0 & Backup as
    > Disk 1.
    > If I use the ASSIGN command will it caise the drive to reformat or will it
    > just assign the drive #?

    An addition bit of info - using DISKPART and - list volume - only C: drive
    shows up, not Backup
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> Right click My Computer and select Manage. Then select
    >> Storage/Disk Management. You should see the dive and will
    >> be able to assign a letter. You may have a problem reading
    >> the drive and will need to take ownership of the drive.
    >> see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>

    >> "Joe" <jgbsysNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> | My old Hard Drive crashed and I replaced it with a 120Gig
    >> and at the same
    >> | time switched from W2K to XP Pro.
    >> |
    >> | The problem is that I had the files from the old drive -
    >> about 30 Gig
    >> | worth - saved to the old slave HD but XP won't recognize
    >> and "Letter" the
    >> | "Slave" until it's reformated which means that I'd lose
    >> all the files, which
    >> | something I can't have happen.
    >> |
    >> | There has to be a way around this and if anyone can help
    >> I'd be very
    >> | grateful.
    >> |
    >> | Thanks,
    >> |
    >> | Joe

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Joe" <jgbsysNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My old Hard Drive crashed and I replaced it with a 120Gig and at the same
    > time switched from W2K to XP Pro.
    >
    > The problem is that I had the files from the old drive - about 30 Gig
    > worth - saved to the old slave HD but XP won't recognize and "Letter" the
    > "Slave" until it's reformated which means that I'd lose all the files,
    which
    > something I can't have happen.
    >
    > There has to be a way around this and if anyone can help I'd be very
    > grateful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Joe

    You can probably use diskpart and the ASSIGN command to do this.

    HTH
    -pk
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Unplug the slave drive
    start windows
    Plug in slave drive
    Check its configured correctly in bios
    Windows will almost certainly note a new bit of hardware and give it a letter
    You an then change it to D if you wish in management

    If this does not work and it should try putting slave drive in another machine

    "Test User" wrote:

    > "Joe" <jgbsysNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > My old Hard Drive crashed and I replaced it with a 120Gig and at the same
    > > time switched from W2K to XP Pro.
    > >
    > > The problem is that I had the files from the old drive - about 30 Gig
    > > worth - saved to the old slave HD but XP won't recognize and "Letter" the
    > > "Slave" until it's reformated which means that I'd lose all the files,
    > which
    > > something I can't have happen.
    > >
    > > There has to be a way around this and if anyone can help I'd be very
    > > grateful.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Joe
    >
    > You can probably use diskpart and the ASSIGN command to do this.
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    IDE hard drive are NOT hot plug devices, so you might fry
    some hardware.

    To check the BIOS, you should check to see that
    auto-detection is enabled and this needs to be done before
    Windows boots.

    "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | Unplug the slave drive
    | start windows
    | Plug in slave drive
    | Check its configured correctly in bios
    | Windows will almost certainly note a new bit of hardware
    and give it a letter
    | You an then change it to D if you wish in management
    |
    | If this does not work and it should try putting slave
    drive in another machine

    | "Test User" wrote:
    |
    | > "Joe" <jgbsysNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > > My old Hard Drive crashed and I replaced it with a
    120Gig and at the same
    | > > time switched from W2K to XP Pro.
    | > >
    | > > The problem is that I had the files from the old
    drive - about 30 Gig
    | > > worth - saved to the old slave HD but XP won't
    recognize and "Letter" the
    | > > "Slave" until it's reformated which means that I'd
    lose all the files,
    | > which
    | > > something I can't have happen.
    | > >
    | > > There has to be a way around this and if anyone can
    help I'd be very
    | > > grateful.
    | > >
    | > > Thanks,
    | > >
    | > > Joe
    | >
    | > You can probably use diskpart and the ASSIGN command to
    do this.

    | > HTH
    | > -pk

Slave Drive Microsoft Windows XP