donnagual

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Victor Everio HDD movie camera that connects to my PC via USB. When I hook it up to my laptop I have no problems at all. The transfer speed is great.

When I hook it up to my desktop, the transfer rates are insanely slow.

On both the laptop and desktop when I hook it up it shows up in "my computer" as a removable microdrive. No additional drivers required, I just drag and drop the movie files onto my computer hard drive.

What would cause the desktop to transfer so slowly? I have tried various USB ports, all are slow. I should be running at USB 2.0. My device manager does show that I have the enhanced controller (which I believe means it is USB2.0 capable). Any ideas?

Asus A8N-SLI deluxe
1Gb PC3200 ram (2x512)
Athlon64 3700+
250Gb Maxtor 8mb cache 7200rpm
Asus EN7800GT 256mb GPU

Updated bios and motherboard drivers to the latest versions.

OEM-NIB-OBO

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
PROBABLY A BUGGY BOARD. MAYBE TRY AND CONNECT TO THE USB PORTS THAT ARE DIRECTLY ON THE MOTHERBOARD. IT COULD BE A LATENCY ISSUE.

CONTACT ASUS

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Stop posting in all CAPS. Every damn post you make is in all caps. And why did you post if you can't help him?

Your problem is probably that it only supports USB 1.1 instead of 2.0

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yea i agree with the poster above.

I have another thing i wanted to ask the topic starter.

I noticed you have the same setup im about to build everythings ordered.

a8n delux with 3700+

just wondering how that's running?

i am making an upgrade from a a7n8x del and xp2800+

donnagual

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
The board supports usb 2.0 so that is not the problem. I did contact ASUS, and they instructed me to plug into the rear USB ports (not the front ones). I tried that and no change.

Asus has told me to try a different USB microdrive as a test, which of course I do not have.

This device works FAST on my other computer, but not on this desktop. Seems to be a mystery.

donnagual

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I noticed you have the same setup im about to build everythings ordered.

a8n delux with 3700+

just wondering how that's running?

i am making an upgrade from a a7n8x del and xp2800+

I am loving it actually. Very fast system (running with a 7800GT for graphics) and it plays any game on the market now very well. Make sure you get a decent power supply (don't go cheap there).

I just ordered myself some new ram as well (1GBx2 corsair XMS) as I am getting ready to overclock my 3700+ before I make the dive into the world of dual core CPUs.

pureevl

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Install updated drivers for the motherboard, also make sure you have the latest service pack. Next you could do a BIOS update too.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
maybe it's stupid,

but can it be because the laptop is running on battery?
have you tested it with the power cable plugged in?

donnagual

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I have the updated chipset drivers and bios. That was the first thing I tried. I'll poke around a bit more in the bios for the USB settings and see what I can find. The device manager is showing an advanced USB contoller, so that SHOULD mean I am running USB 2.0.... thanks for all the advice so far.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I have the updated chipset drivers and bios. That was the first thing I tried. I'll poke around a bit more in the bios for the USB settings and see what I can find. The device manager is showing an advanced USB contoller, so that SHOULD mean I am running USB 2.0.... thanks for all the advice so far.

Check in Networking to make sure the USB port is disabled as a TCP/IP interface.

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You could try downloading a linux live cd, like pclinuxos or ubuntu, and try it running off the live cd, to check if its a hardware or software problem.