Sign in with
Your question

This forum as gone to the dogs

Last response: in Forum Feedback
July 13, 2007 6:06:59 AM

Between the new adds, cumbersum format and the total lack of any valuable or informative information other than (what should I buy?) or (which would be better?), might as well read a book.

More about : forum dogs

July 13, 2007 6:24:55 AM

What else is this forum for besides finding out what to buy for your money and solving issues that people have? Do expect to meet chicks on here or something?
July 13, 2007 6:42:35 AM

Yeah, this forum isn't what it once was but.... Bleh don't know what to say, just live with it.
Related resources
July 13, 2007 6:43:02 AM

Hey, at least it's much faster!
July 13, 2007 8:34:27 AM

the IT industry in general is more in a lul now than anything (calm before storm?)... some very informative posters had left... desired tech articles are far and few between, IMO, which doesnt leave much to talk about as a result... ...but, overall, things just arent the same... dont think anyone would disagree really with that though
July 13, 2007 9:55:53 AM

Some of those informative posters always pointed to expensive items that had, well, shall we say issues, with the new GPU/CPU/OS coming to market. Some saw the new GPU's and felt the main-stream was overlooked, and would be for quite some time, in order to squeeze the consumer. Some don't like the state of the press. Some saw the moneypit turn into a blackhole. And, some saw that secondary brands at a cheaper price were performing near the level of name-brand item (a sure sign you've been hosed for a few bucks).

f61
July 13, 2007 10:09:24 AM

Quote:
Between the new adds, cumbersum format and the total lack of any valuable or informative information other than (what should I buy?) or (which would be better?), might as well read a book.

If you don't like the ads use firefox and adblock. If you don't like the forum go away.
July 13, 2007 10:20:18 AM

word.

Or use an older O/S thats easy to configure, and just say no to scripts and ActiveX.
July 13, 2007 11:22:22 AM

Toms has been around a long time, so I would expect they would want to follow best practice and NOT encumber the loyal readers with the spam and advertising.

At least there is still Anandtech ...

I note many of the longer term forum posters have moved on as well ...

might as well go too ...

enjoy noobs !!
July 13, 2007 11:44:55 AM

I have not seen any sign of spam, and the advertising is a pain. But both the site and the forums are free. Imagine the complaints if THG decided to charge even $10.00 a year to participate.
July 13, 2007 1:13:10 PM

Quote:
This forum as gone to the dogs/might as well read a book.

Well instead of reading a book maybe you should proofread your title...
July 13, 2007 1:21:25 PM

SO thats why since joining I've had the urge to clean myself with my tongue (PANT PANT PANT).
July 13, 2007 1:41:23 PM

I think what intelamdus means is that we're all dogs and he doesn't like us. Maybe he should find a forum more tuned to his tastes.
July 13, 2007 1:48:59 PM

Since we're here... which is better for web browsing? E6850 or E6600?
July 13, 2007 1:51:37 PM

If you're just web browing and crap like that, get a Celeron 420.
July 13, 2007 2:17:56 PM

Quote:
Since we're here... which is better for web browsing? E6850 or E6600?

LOL!!!! I hope that was not a serious question... :lol: 
July 13, 2007 2:25:33 PM

choirbass, has Jack left? Any reason why?
July 13, 2007 4:41:06 PM

Quote:
choirbass, has Jack left? Any reason why?

He was upset that they didn't ban BM afaik.
July 13, 2007 5:00:39 PM

Quote:
What else is this forum for besides finding out what to buy for your money and solving issues that people have? Do expect to meet chicks on here or something?

ROFL. Either that or free beer?
July 13, 2007 5:20:02 PM

mmmmmhmmmmmm beeeeerrrrrrrr
July 13, 2007 5:20:05 PM

The reasons are varied for the decline of the forums here on TH. I believe that a few of the reasons are as follows:
1. Lack of meaningful articles from Tom's that users feel a need to talk about.
2. Lack of anything meaningful in general going on in the industry right now... all hype, no show.
3. Complete stupidity of most of the posts that people put on here. (ex: How are you and the kids?) I mean, really... use email to talk to your friends, don't hijack a thread and talk about the kids and bowling or your clan in BF2042. Come on... I've seen this a number of times on here and it's just stupid.
4. Too many fanboys.
5. Too many fanboys.
6. Lack of civility between posters. Too many people on here think that they are gods of the computer world and feel the need to inflict their infinite wisdom on people just to show how big their virtual penises are. This has been happening more and more. People can't post their opinions without being bashed to hell and back. Hell, I posted the specs of a product on here and someone called me an idiot because they didnt think that they were right when I linked them to the manufacturer's website. I mean, if you can't even post specs without being bashed, why even bother with the rest of the garbage that passes for posts around here?
7. Too many fanboys.
8. Too many fanboys.
and oh, yeah...
9. TOO MANY FCKUING FANBOYS!!!!!!!
Just my take.
July 13, 2007 5:25:21 PM

Quote:
I have not seen any sign of spam, and the advertising is a pain. But both the site and the forums are free. Imagine the complaints if THG decided to charge even $10.00 a year to participate.

Get real... name one site that actually makes you pay for their forums. No spam, though, just ads out the ass these days. I'm not really complaining about the ads, though... Tom has to pay the bills somehow. I guess that reselling all those free testing components isn't paying off on Ebay... lol ;) 
July 13, 2007 5:43:02 PM

I am amazed that people still b1tc# about the ads. Like maybe THF should charge you 25c/post with out the ads?

The only thing that was disturbing to me was the keyword mouse-over popup links. Thats easily solved in older o/s browsers and non i.e. browsers. If I'm forgetful (don't EVER accept scripts and ActiveX) I get them. For some reason SB S&D and SpyBlaster don't get these. It must be that Java beast (best guess).

f61
July 13, 2007 6:17:20 PM

DJ_Fumbles: I have to agree with you (and also choirbass) in that the industry is slow right now in general. When Barcelona comes out I'm sure there will be activity. You are also right in terms of the articles...

And all the other stuff, in general... It seems any post nowadays is either help me buy my first build, or a flame starter like "AMD $uck a$$ haha" I'm not an AMD fanboy by any stretch of imagination, but it seems like there are two camps - Intel fanboys who just keep piling on AMD - why? we need competition - and ppl like BaronManix who have trouble dealing with reality...
July 13, 2007 7:46:25 PM

Quote:

So lets see. You're complaigning about "the total lack of any valuable or informative information" by posting a thread with no valuable or informative information about CPUs.........in the CPU setcion. :sarcastic: 

Moved.
July 16, 2007 8:10:26 AM

Sad, aren't they?
July 20, 2007 9:49:59 AM

Dont know about you lot but I am running my work PC at 1024X768 and the new advert takes up almost half the screen width... Bit too much if you ask me.
!