Wireless network options between neighbors

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have a local ISP that offers wireless broadband Internet access. I
live in a very rural area and don't have much hope of cable or DSL.
Problem is, I live I a bit of a valley and, after a site survey, was
told I would need about a 60-80 foot tower to get a signal. I am not
real excited about erecting (or spending $1000.00) a tower like that.
I have a neighbor at the top of the hill that would be willing to put
the wireless Internet antenna there. What are my wireless options to
get the single to my house? I would guess the neighbor's house is 700
– 1000 feet away. I could get a line of sight pretty easily if
needed. What would the cost of my various options be?

Thanks,

ngpost1
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless network options neighbors
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    ngpost1@hotmail.com (ngpost1) wrote in news:6f1ab14f.0403311937.32941ec6
    @posting.google.com:

    > What are my wireless options to
    > get the single to my house? I would guess the neighbor's house is 700
    > - 1000 feet away. I could get a line of sight pretty easily if
    > needed. What would the cost of my various options be?

    All you need is to get your neighbour to place a wireless access point and
    point an antenna to your house. Your client PCs can then log onto your
    neighbour's network.

    Or, getting more fancy you can setup a wireless link (Linksys routers have
    this option) and connect your LAN to your neighbours lan.

    An antenna should be pretty cheap, no more than 100 or 200.00 if you buy
    one. I've even seen someone use a Pringles can as an antenna!

    So, it's definately doable... as long as you convince your neighbour to
    point an antenna towards your house.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in

    > ngpost1@hotmail.com (ngpost1) wrote in
    > news:6f1ab14f.0403311937.32941ec6 @posting.google.com:
    >
    >> What are my wireless options to
    >> get the single to my house? I would guess the neighbor's house is
    >> 700 - 1000 feet away. I could get a line of sight pretty easily if
    >> needed. What would the cost of my various options be?
    >>

    > All you need is to get your neighbour to place a wireless access point
    > and point an antenna to your house. Your client PCs can then log onto
    > your neighbour's network.
    >
    > Or, getting more fancy you can setup a wireless link (Linksys routers
    > have this option) and connect your LAN to your neighbours lan.
    >
    > An antenna should be pretty cheap, no more than 100 or 200.00 if you
    > buy one. I've even seen someone use a Pringles can as an antenna!
    >
    > So, it's definately doable... as long as you convince your neighbour
    > to point an antenna towards your house.

    Actually, lot's of buy-it-now's on ebay for 2.4 GHz antenna, for under $50.
    Some under $30.
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    So let me see if I understand this. I get 2 run of the mill wireless
    routers from Best Buy or something, on each, detach one of the ~4"
    black antennas on the back and plug in one of these 2.4 GHz antennas
    from eBay to each router, point at each other and I'm done. Is the
    antenna on both sides of the network the same antenna? My Linksys
    router has two little black antennas out of the back, do I just plug
    into one of those connections and leave the other alone?

    TIA

    ngpost1

    > All you need is to get your neighbour to place a wireless access point and
    > point an antenna to your house. Your client PCs can then log onto your
    > neighbour's network.
    >
    > Or, getting more fancy you can setup a wireless link (Linksys routers have
    > this option) and connect your LAN to your neighbours lan.
    >
    > An antenna should be pretty cheap, no more than 100 or 200.00 if you buy
    > one. I've even seen someone use a Pringles can as an antenna!
    >
    > So, it's definately doable... as long as you convince your neighbour to
    > point an antenna towards your house.
  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > I get 2 run of the mill wireless
    > routers from Best Buy or something, on each, detach one of the ~4"
    > black antennas on the back and plug in one of these 2.4 GHz antennas
    > from eBay to each router, point at each other and I'm done.

    Yes, make sure the Access Point supports creating a wireless link (AP to AP
    Link). It's a non-standard feature. Linksys APs support this feature.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Internet Service Providers Wireless Network Wireless Networking