WEP or WPA?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I'll start out by saying I know almost nothing about wireless networking.
But, My wife bought a new laptop and wants it wireless, at home. My
understanding, from reading many posts on this group, is that I should use
either WEP or WPA. My DI-624 is capable of WPA if I d/l the firmware, but do
I need it? We live in a small community of about 8000 people and I know of
no other wireless users in my neighborhood. My connection is a modest 256
ADSL. Any comments are welcome.
Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    You should be fine with WEP. Just change the key every few weeks. It's not
    perfect, but it's easier for you than upgrading to WPA, and probably all you
    need in your small commuity.

    "Hairy" <hairy411@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'll start out by saying I know almost nothing about wireless networking.
    > But, My wife bought a new laptop and wants it wireless, at home. My
    > understanding, from reading many posts on this group, is that I should use
    > either WEP or WPA. My DI-624 is capable of WPA if I d/l the firmware, but
    do
    > I need it? We live in a small community of about 8000 people and I know of
    > no other wireless users in my neighborhood. My connection is a modest 256
    > ADSL. Any comments are welcome.
    > Dave

  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Hairy wrote:

    > I'll start out by saying I know almost nothing about wireless networking.
    > But, My wife bought a new laptop and wants it wireless, at home. My
    > understanding, from reading many posts on this group, is that I should use
    > either WEP or WPA. My DI-624 is capable of WPA if I d/l the firmware, but
    > do I need it? We live in a small community of about 8000 people and I know
    > of no other wireless users in my neighborhood. My connection is a modest
    > 256 ADSL. Any comments are welcome.

    If both ends support it, go with WPA. It was created after the
    vulnerabilities of WEP were discovered. However, WEP is probably
    sufficient, but change the keys regularly.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Enlighten yourself to the risks you run by doing a Google search for the
    word "wardriving." If you're still comfortable with WEP after that, you,
    sir, have far more faith in mankind than I.

    Good luck,

    Herb

    "Hairy" <hairy411@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'll start out by saying I know almost nothing about wireless networking.
    > But, My wife bought a new laptop and wants it wireless, at home. My
    > understanding, from reading many posts on this group, is that I should use
    > either WEP or WPA. My DI-624 is capable of WPA if I d/l the firmware, but
    do
    > I need it? We live in a small community of about 8000 people and I know of
    > no other wireless users in my neighborhood. My connection is a modest 256
    > ADSL. Any comments are welcome.
    > Dave

  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Hairy wrote:
    > I'll start out by saying I know almost nothing about wireless
    > networking. But, My wife bought a new laptop and wants it wireless,
    > at home. My understanding, from reading many posts on this group, is
    > that I should use either WEP or WPA. My DI-624 is capable of WPA if I
    > d/l the firmware, but do I need it? We live in a small community of
    > about 8000 people and I know of no other wireless users in my
    > neighborhood. My connection is a modest 256 ADSL. Any comments are
    > welcome.
    > Dave

    It has been demonstrated time and again, "trust no one". Implement WPA.
    One of the 8000 trusted residents will eventually get curious.

Wireless WEP Wireless Networking