i need help to buy a new PC.

Fernando_M

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
hi everyone, i've been reading this forum for a few months and i've learned a lot. but now i need some help to choose some parts for my future PC.
i'm not buying this PC right now, but a friend of mine wants something more or less like this too (and he wants to buy it really soon), so i decided to choose all the parts that we should buy.

i am on a budget so i can't spend more than 900 dollars (based on the prices in the newegg site, i plan to spend about 800). but i only need these: CPU, motherboard, VGA and memory. the rest i already have or i'll buy later.
what i know for sure and i won't change:
-CPU: core 2 duo, allendale 6300
-VGA: i'll probably buy a 7600GT or wait for a directx10. (it will depend on when i decide to get the new PC) (my friend will buy a cheap video card and wait for the directx10 to upgrade).
just remember that we don't have too much money to spend on the new parts. so i'm looking for great "cost x power", actually the less we spend, the better (but keeping good parts).
according to my calculations:
+-350 dollars for CPU+VGA.
200 or less for the mobo.
200 to 250 on the memory.

i'm planning to overclock the 6300 up to 3GHz, so based on this:
which motherboard would you suggest? if possible, a good motherboard that costs less than 200 dollars. a option with sli support (to my friend) and a option without it (i don't need it).

which ram should i get? i'm looking for 2x 1GB. any brand. if i plan to overclock the CPU up to 3GHz, will i need DDR2 800? or DDR2 667 would be enough?

now a few questions about overclock:
-i think that it's possible to reach 3GHz with the C2D 6300 very easily, am i right? can i do this with the default vcore?

sorry if the post is too long or confusing. i did my best to explain what i need. and sorry for my english.

thanks for those who read and reply :D

morpheous_2812

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
hi everyone, i've been reading this forum for a few months and i've learned a lot. but now i need some help to choose some parts for my future PC.
i'm not buying this PC right now, but a friend of mine wants something more or less like this too (and he wants to buy it really soon), so i decided to choose all the parts that we should buy.

i am on a budget so i can't spend more than 900 dollars (based on the prices in the newegg site, i plan to spend about 800). but i only need these: CPU, motherboard, VGA and memory. the rest i already have or i'll buy later.
what i know for sure and i won't change:
-CPU: core 2 duo, allendale 6300
-VGA: i'll probably buy a 7600GT or wait for a directx10. (it will depend on when i decide to get the new PC) (my friend will buy a cheap video card and wait for the directx10 to upgrade).
just remember that we don't have too much money to spend on the new parts. so i'm looking for great "cost x power", actually the less we spend, the better (but keeping good parts).
according to my calculations:
+-350 dollars for CPU+VGA.
200 or less for the mobo.
200 to 250 on the memory.

i'm planning to overclock the 6300 up to 3GHz, so based on this:
which motherboard would you suggest? if possible, a good motherboard that costs less than 200 dollars. a option with sli support (to my friend) and a option without it (i don't need it).

which ram should i get? i'm looking for 2x 1GB. any brand. if i plan to overclock the CPU up to 3GHz, will i need DDR2 800? or DDR2 667 would be enough?

now a few questions about overclock:
-i think that it's possible to reach 3GHz with the C2D 6300 very easily, am i right? can i do this with the default vcore?

sorry if the post is too long or confusing. i did my best to explain what i need. and sorry for my english.

thanks for those who read and reply :D

Would you mind telling us an estimated time when you and your friend will be getting this system? For example, he wants his system within a week or two, for your system, you can wait til X'mas or later? This will allow us to give a better recommendation.

Also, what are the main usages for both of the systems? Mainly games, work, or a mixture of both?

For both of your future directx 10 upgrades, any idea when both of you will upgrade your videocard? So that we can recommend a short term vid card that is sufficient enough for your current needs until you get your directx 10 cards.

Fernando_M

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
i already had 2 replies, thanks.

i'll probably buy it only in the next year. but my friend will buy it in less than a month.

about the usages, i guess it will be a mixture of both. i don't work yet, but in the future i might do some work with 3d programs (working as a designer). anyway i care more about the games :lol: . my friend will probably only play games.

my friend already decided the videocard, he will get a cheap ATI 1600 for now and upgrade it later. but i'm not sure yet. if i were going to buy today, i'd probably get the 7600GT and only upgrade after a year or so. but since i'm only going to build the PC in the next year, then i'll try to get a directx10 card. my only concern is about the prices.

Fernando_M

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
thanks for the suggestion but i think i could spend a little more in the mobo (if it worth) and i should spend less in the VGA and get 2GB of RAM.
so the DDR2 800 doesn't worth the price difference?
doesn't the ram affect my overclock? i read something about running the RAM synchronous, so if i overclock up to 3GHz wouldn't the DDR2 800 be a better option?

*edit:
just one more doubt, wich chipset would be the best in my case? the 975 or the 965?