Building a comp and not sure about the mobo i should use.

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Hi,

im wanting to build a new comp coz my current 1's kind of old. and im thiking about going intel which is a desicion ive already made. i desided to go with the conroe e6600. but i dont no which mobo to use. that is my problem, wheather i should go asus or gigabyte. ive already been lookin at a asus mobo p5n32-sli. can u guys help me. tell me whats bad and gud about this mobo. I REALLY NEED HELP..... but then i looked at the P5W DH Deluxe thingy mobo. im really confused. need major help. HELP ME......SOMEONE.

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
i would stick to intel personally, preferably 975x

if you go 965, go for the gigabytes that are C2 if you are using DDR2 800

if you are using 667 then apparently the C1's are easier to OC

oh and the E6600 runs hot compared to lower models so get a decent cooler

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
when you say the e6600 runs how hot.....how hot?? but i rekon e6600 is really bag for ur buk. thats my opinion. and im goin i975x. the P5W DH looks gud.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hi,

im wanting to build a new comp coz my current 1's kind of old. and im thiking about going intel which is a desicion ive already made. i desided to go with the conroe e6600. but i dont no which mobo to use. that is my problem, wheather i should go asus or gigabyte. ive already been lookin at a asus mobo p5n32-sli. can u guys help me. tell me whats bad and gud about this mobo. I REALLY NEED HELP..... but then i looked at the P5W DH Deluxe thingy mobo. im really confused. need major help. HELP ME......SOMEONE.

The title you used gave me the urge to beat someone up. And it´s "know", as in "to know" like "knowledge" and not "no" as in "not". Now go get a Xbox.

Damn kindergarten. :evil:

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Perhaps if you changed the subject so that its not ALL capital letters you would get a better response. Capital letters are usually frowned upon.

If your gonna get a mobo now I would stick to something with the 975X chipset or P965 chipset. I would stay away from the nvidia chipsets at least until the 680i is released. Check out the Core 2 Duo overclocking guide for more specific recommendations.

And please change the subject...

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
mate can you please stick to the topic. sorry i just want some info or reply about wut im talking about.

I did and i know that you just want some info for "wut" you´re talking about. I´m just trying to help you here. If you word your requests properly more people tend to answer them. If you write the topic in all caps and throw in some nice typos to boot, you´re sending a message. And that message goes, "i don´t care enough to word my posts in an acceptable manner since i was raised in the ghetto or i can´t type because there are not even 10 candles on my cake but i want your help. For free, suxxors." That´s what you´re implying with your thread title.
Now imagine someone typing just like that comes along and suggests to you to buy the Gobobyte XTL super Plus mainboard because, now that´s the kicker, it got a black pcb. The hardware is crap, but at least the crap looks cool. That´s the advice you´re bound to get when asking like this.

Okay, okay, everyone makes a typo now and then, but please read what you write.

So, because deep down i´m a nice guy, do tell what you need the new hardware for and if you intend to reuse parts from another computer. If you just want to have a decent board for a e6600 go with one of the Asus P5B series.

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
yes i agree the P5 series is the way to go. however, from many forums i have read information on i have seen many problems, about the P5W DH Deluxe. for example i need to use another 775 processor to boot and update the bios. that is 1 of the problems becasue i dont have a 775 processor handy. but asus have apdated their page about the P5W DH. i dont no im really confused. maybe gigabyte is the way to go?? sorry about the caps. im a new to forums. ill look at me spelling and punctuation and i wont use caps lock. i apologise for anu inconvenience i have casued you.

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
sorry for the change of topic but bazza when you say the e6600 gets hot how hot are you talking. and is the stock cpu cooler any good at all. and im not overcloking. just to tell anyone. i dont have the experience and the knowledge.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
sorry for the change of topic but bazza when you say the e6600 gets hot how hot are you talking. and is the stock cpu cooler any good at all. and im not overcloking. just to tell anyone. i dont have the experience and the knowledge.

I don't have a a core 2 duo (yet), but I'm sure it will run nice and cool with the stock cooler (at least compared to my prescott :wink:). Stock will be fine since you are not overclocking.

I like both gigabyte and asus. I think most here prefer asus for the core 2 duo. As far as the mobo being able to post with the core 2 duo, I guess you have to check with your supplier and find out what bios revision it is being shipped with. If you go by the reviews pay more credence to the most recent reviews (recent reviewers probably got something similar to what you will get, old reviews probably got an older bios revision).

If the worst case happens, do you have a friend with an older 775 processor that you can use to update the bios?

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
well i can get a 775 of a friend if worst comes to worst.

I have noticed that user reviews are more well i could say better than more formal reviews. because the user has had more experience and has spent more time with the mobo. gigabyte have a new series out called the 6 quad series and S series, something a rather and i noticed that the silent pipe cooling or whatever they call it, doesn't come with the optional cooling fan, like the asus ones do. and looking at the aspect that some mobos do get very hot i decide to stay away from that series. the P5W DH comes with a fan. but thats not the most important part about the mobo, 'the fan'! lol

In the future i will ask for the bios version being shipped with the mobo. thanks for that tip. i was just wondering, since this is only the deluxe model wont there be a premium model like the P5N32-SLI Premium?

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
i have realised that in this forum alone there have been many problems with the P5W DH Deluxe than any other product (maybe its the most recent and popular mobo)?? Could they be defective products or an fault by asus?

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Don't trust the user reviews too much, half those people don't know what they're doing or post wrong things on purpose. Just use them to help you identify potential problems, like hot northbridge, old bios revisions, etc... I trust reviews by people who know what they're doing (like Tom's Hardware) alot more.

I havn't bought a motherboard in a while, and I do not have a core 2 duo so i'm not much help. I'm sure the asus and the gigabyte will both work out great as long as you get a recent bios revision. If you're really worried about it wait till the 8th and check out the nvidia 680i based motherboards, shoudn't have to update the bios to get these to post with a C2D.

Did you check out the C2D overclocking guide for mobo reccomendations? I know you're not overclocking but those should all be good motherboards.

t1ng0t

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Go with an Intel-based motherboard. However, you will not be able to use Nvidia's SLI. For dual card config, you are pretty much stuck with a Crossfire setup.

For actual board recommendations, try sticking with those with two X16 PCI-E slots especially with the 965 chipset (i.e. Gigabyte DS4, DQ6; Asus P5B Deluxe) for flexible graphics options. 975 chipset-based boards have always offered dual X16 slots for this reason.

Reviews are relatively consistent is saying that the all-intel platform is more stable all around and overclocks better for a Core2 rig.

Do you have a price range in mind? Any required features? That would allow us to post more concrete recommendations.

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Sorry i haven't been qiuck in replying as i have had some examinations going on. I've caught up on your recent post! I don't think i'll be cross-firing or using the sli feature as im not a hard core gamer and have no use for this feature. However, i do play half life and CSS. But i dont think ill need to use a dual gfx card solution.

pshrk, i've been looking at some reviews and i have heard that the thermalpaste (or whatever they call it these days) used for the north bridge/southbridge heatsink is very bad and low quality?? Is this true? This reviewer said i should remove this thermalpaste and apply some artic silver (which i already have).

I'm not in a hurry to build this "computer" so ill wait till the nvidia release of the 680i based mobos. I think my theory is also right, mobos which OC stabley (dont no if thats a word) are usually good ones?

thats all for now

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
pshrk, i've been looking at some reviews and i have heard that the thermalpaste (or whatever they call it these days) used for the north bridge/southbridge heatsink is very bad and low quality?? Is this true? This reviewer said i should remove this thermalpaste and apply some artic silver (which i already have).

Can't help you much here, sounds like its motherboard specific. I would only mess with it if i was overclocking and/or the motherboard was having stability problems. I've never done this so it'd be best to get a second opinion.

I'm not in a hurry to build this "computer" so ill wait till the nvidia release of the 680i based mobos. I think my theory is also right, mobos which OC stabley (dont no if thats a word) are usually good ones?

That is my thinking as well! I read rumors of good OC potential and a 1333MHz FSB as well as quad-core support out of the box for the 680i. Not sure about the FSB, we will have to wait and see.

toosober

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Since you are not a going to game that much, and have no need for SLI or Crossfire I would suggest the GA-965P-S3 from Gigabyte.
I have purchased 2 Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 motherboards since the Core2Duo release. I am using Corsair XMS DDR2 800 MHZ RAM, since you are not going to be gaming hardcore, I would suggest the Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400, they are timed @ 5-5-5-12, and have been great on the Gigabyte boards. The GA-965P-S3's have been very stable, offer RAID, and have great overclocking options. They are about $116 right now on NewEgg.
I have overclocked my E6400 to 3.2ghz with a 400 FSB with a slight voltage increase, and stock cooler, but clocked the bus back down out of paranoia to 333 with stock voltage. I can not offer any opinion on any of the other Core2Duo boards since I have not tinkered with them.
Based on my experience, bang for the buck, stability, and performance, I would do the GA-965-S3 again and again.

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
change of topic, but if i was going to get one of these mobos, how many watt psu am i talking. would 450watts be enough to power the system or would i need more?

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
the evga 680i mobo is on newegg!

Power Supplies? It really depends on the video card(s) you plan on using. For non SLI a quality 450W should be enough. There are other things to think about as well such as the number of rails, amps, and efficency. I would get a power supply with Active PFC to protect all those expensive components. Modular cabling is always nice. This is the power supply I'm thinking of getting (Thermaltake 700W Toughpower). It should be good enough even if i win the lottery and decide to upgrade to 8800GTX SLI 8O.

AppleCertifiedPro

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Yeh, i think 450 shoudl be enough for me. I'm thinking of getting the Antec Nine Hundred with a thermaltake purepower psu about 450watts.

i saw one of the 680i mobos, there was one from asus the 'striker extreme' a whole lot of advertising hype if you ask me. these boards look pretty good. but im wating till some benchies come out and some descent reviews. and i have a feeling that these boards will be fairly expensive.

8800GTX looks pretty nice lol!

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Great case, I have heard mixed things about the PurePower series. Keep in mind that 450W is the mimimum required for an 8800GTX (Just incase you ever decide to upgrade). Might want to "think" about a 500W-550W just for some headroom. Here is a review of the eVGA 680i board. Looks pretty awesome to me :wink: Pretty expesive though :cry: