Mobo's for OC

IVXIFiReFlY

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Guys im buying two computers and want them in different version one is AMD based and the Other one is Intel based.... so could u help me with your suggestions about the best overclocking mobo's for amd(AM2) and intel (lga)????

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
AM2 : Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, DFI, ABIT, Biostar, EpoX, FoxConn.
Intel : ABIT, Aopen, Asus, Biostar, DFI, MSI, Intel, Gigabyte, FoxConn.

Since you mentioned only the socket, well, there they are. It's your choice.

IVXIFiReFlY

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks for your post but i know the names of manufacturers, i need models of mobo's that u people tried or heard of that have REALLY good OC potential..... no matter how much it cost, i need best of the best....

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
For example, if i say "Asus is the best", well there'll be someone will say "nop, gigabyte is the best", and there's another person will say "stfu, MSI is the best".
Another example, i say "Asus S32 is the best, i OCed my C2D 1.8 until 2", other person will say "i don't see anything plus on this board" or maybe other person will say "i can't get more than 300MHz on OCing".

Read some review, get some info, get some facts is the good start to know best of the best.

FYI, every people has different review on different mobo even different review on exactly the same board.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, I'll start the flame war.

Lga775: best OC is Asus P5W-DH. You might also consider the P5B-E (revised version of P5B). Those are probably your two best bets for OC.

AM2: Stay away from this unless you already have an AM2 compatabile CPU. Core 2 Duo is much better... but then again, you never specified what your looking for except OC'ing... shrug

IVXIFiReFlY

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Well u r right about it.... so u r suggesting Asus S32 for C2D??? k ill check reviews, there is a lot of boards to read reviews thats why i ask for some suggestions of models, i am checking reviews but not sure about them cause there is like u said different experience with same board but i thrust in more posts from diff people about same board... There is one more problem im not sure for what board to look for thats why I posted this topic..... What about Asus P5WDH-deluxe for C2D?? and Abit AN9 32X SLI for AM2????? or DFI SLI M2R/G (AM2)???

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
That Foxconn is nice, but the OC on it isin't as high as the P5W-DH, well, no mobo's can hit as high as the P5W but they can all come close. Foxconn does have a digital voltage regulator that is real nice.

The P5B-E is probably going to be your best mid-range bet. The Abit and Foxconn all have decent OC's but nothing record-breaking. Didn't know Bad Axe 2 is out yet, I'll hold off my judgement on that until I see some reviews and benchmarks.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
the OC on it isin't as high as the P5W-DH, well, no mobo's can hit as high as the P5W but they can all come close.
I believe ive corrected you about that now too long ago...
The P5W DH will be lucky if itll touch 400Mhz FSB while thats a piece of cake for all these mobos:

C2D:
Asus P5B dlx to fly in FSB
Gigabyte DQ6 for the voltage boi
DS3 (and S3 for that matter) for a budget
Abit AW9D-MAX for Crossfire (the worst out the batch)
Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H if you can figure that BIOS revision mess..

AM2:
DFI LAN Party UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G for bleeding edge
EPOX (570 chipset) for budget
Havent done as much research in AM2 as you can see, thats because C2Ds are looking just too good right now hehe

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Post some links of the P5W-DH barely hitting 400 MHZ FSB?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792

There has been many conflicting reviews on the OC'ing of the P5W-DH, with some saying its the best and others, as you say, are struggling. The uber OC's on the lower end procs are all with the P5B deluxe which itself is a damn nice OC'er, while the top end are all the P5W-DH (don't know if its because if you have the money for a e6600 or above you get the P5W-DH anyways)

Either way, I retract my earlier statement on the basis of some of the bios revisions of the P5B and the newer P5B-E, which posts an exceptional FSB...

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2860&p=7

Anyways, hope this helps

spanishfleee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I have a DFI, I'm not sure if they do AM2 but i would recommend them. although be warned the LANPartys only have 2 year warranties. and the others only have 1 year warranties i think.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 is an outstanding budget overclocking board according to every review that I have read so far, and that has been my experience too.

If you don't need integrated FireWire or SLI, the DS3 is fantastic hardware for the money. So is the E6400, for that matter. Probably one of the best overclocking chips available today. I managed to overclock mine a comfortable 60% (with room to go) so I'll go out on a limb and say that the E6400 is one of, if not the best overclocking processors ever. Even the legendary Celeron 300A managed "just" a 50% overclock.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
so could u help me with your suggestions about the best overclocking mobo's for amd(AM2) and intel (lga)????
it would help if you mentioned features that are imprtant to you e.g. do you need Firewire, Crossfire, SLI, how many PCI slots, silent chipset cooling etc. etc. & of course budget.

Strangely enough it looks like 1 of the best overclocking AM2 mobos is an mATX - the abit nF-M2 nView.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Its a capable overclocking mobo, its not for nothignt hat wusy recommended it in his guide. But it tops at 450Mhz in BIOS... while the DQ6, DS3, P5B Dlx have a <650Mhz cap in BIOS. Its good, just not the best.
And that database is lacking something... hmm ballz! thats it! ppl in there could reach much higher OCs with some mods, theyre mostly n00bs for what ive seen elsewhere.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Wusy is always talking about how Asus is the only motherboard brand worth getting, they have no problems and are extremely reliable.
Youre describing him as a fanboi XD Asus has made come excellent products for LGA775 but not every single board made by them is worth recommending. Just look at the P5B vanilla...
There are no good brands, just good products.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Check out www.evga.com and have a look at their line up.I'd say it's pretty darn good.No complaints from me.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

P.S.Yes they sell mainboards as well as video cards.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
And thats why those people are raping everyone at folding heh...

Anyways, I don't even know where this topic is going anymore... lines have been drawn and pieces have been said. Take from it what you will.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I was jk, apparently wusy hates asus. I actually own an Asus A8N-E and I think its great. Its an AMD board though, so I can't vouch for an intel one. I did manage to get my 3700+ up to 2.9 (2.2 stock) on stock volts (w/ zalman hsf) with crappy value ram.

IVXIFiReFlY

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Nice discussion, I like it... anyway mobos are only FOR OC nothing else, so i dont need FireWire, LAN, PCI slots etc only proc, ram, hdd, (sata), gpu and good PSU...... i got my choice between AN9 Fatal1ty and Foxconn C51 for OC AM2, 2X 1Gb OCZ 1000MHz and Gainward 7800GTX... so intel mobo is still waitting..... is it now P5WDH deluxe or P5B or else???????? anyway thanks a lot guys for your time........