Sign in with
Your question

Game Freeze and Screeeching noise means......

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2006 1:13:49 PM

I'm an AGP hold out. I'm running the following rig:

AMD Athlon 64Fx-60
ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo
ATI X850 XT
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
2 Gig of Patriot 3200 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 0
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN Thermaltake Silentboost K8
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
BFG 650 Watt PSU
SB Audigy 2Z Platinum Sound Card
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1 Wide Flat Panel

When I play most games I get no problems. Lately though I've been replaying CoD2 with most if not all the eye candy turned up. Not at the highest resolution on the game but damn close. After about 10 minutes of game play the game freezes and I get a high pitched screech. I can only asuume this is the graphics card saying "F*** This" and going on strike. Any suggestions besides turning down the graphics settings and or getting more cooling to the vid card?

Da Worfster
October 25, 2006 1:56:08 PM

Back up all your critical data NOW. The only moving parts on your vid card are in the cooling fan, so that is not the likely culprit. However, your HD disk is moving fast, and a head touching a disk makes a nasty screeching sound. If so, then total HD failure is coming soon. I had a screeching HD work for several months after the first screech (just to see if it would) but it eventually failed. Backup your data, then run scandisk. Good luck!!
October 25, 2006 2:06:39 PM

Quote:
Back up all your critical data NOW. The only moving parts on your vid card are in the cooling fan, so that is not the likely culprit. However, your HD disk is moving fast, and a head touching a disk makes a nasty screeching sound. If so, then total HD failure is coming soon. I had a screeching HD work for several months after the first screech (just to see if it would) but it eventually failed. Backup your data, then run scandisk. Good luck!!

Im sorry sir, but you're a retard...

Random freezings and screetzhing or repetitive sound loops, specially on games, is a problem related to all AUDIGY 2 SOUND CARDS
audigy 2 cards have a HUGE PROBLEM sharing IRQS, gocheck the creativelabs forum and you will see, the only way is to give priority to the sound card for IRQ , or change the IRQ manually on the windows hardware thingie. so it doesnt end sharing the irq with other intensively used hardware.

*edit* it also helped to some people to reinstall the sound blaster audigy drivers.
Related resources
October 25, 2006 2:14:41 PM

lol. Be nice. But that was good advice you gave about the "windows hardware thingie" :) 
October 25, 2006 2:16:59 PM

well, windows as only one way to control hardware, so saying the "hardware thingie" clearly means this program.
unless you want me to use its real name of "device manager"
October 25, 2006 2:27:08 PM

If the screeching is coming from the speakers, rather than internal hardware, moving the sound card to another pci slot might help. Closer to the vid card is better.
October 25, 2006 4:50:35 PM

Had that same problem... It was the video card glitching. Replaced the card and all was well.

Edit: I thought it was the sound card too, the way that sick screech came from the speakers... If its only happening in games, mostly new ones, check out your vid temps and I bet its overheating alot. After it overheats enough parts will eventually begin to go bad.
!