Need to buy new RAM for my crappy computer...

x3m

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Hello there...

I need to buy some new RAM for my computer, now don't laugh as I tell you about my system! :cry:

Motherboard: GA-7VAXFS (see the manual here)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (1,67GHZ)
Graphic card: Geforce3 Ti-200 128mb ram
Sound card: Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
RAM 256mb pc2100 CL2,5
and so on..

Don't mind the ram listed above, they are borrowed, and thats where the whole problem about getting new RAM starts...

I'm looking for a little more speed of course, I use this computer for playing CS:S on until I get enough money to buy a new one, I got about 100 - 125$ to use on RAM right now, I was thinking about buying these "Geil One Series 2x256mb" (sry. about the site being in danish) but I'm not really sure it they will fit my motherboard or if I schould get quantity instead of quality in order to make CS:S run better, also it says in the manual that this motherboard can ONLY use RAM with a voltage of 2.5V (see middle of page 5 in the manual) the geil RAM has a voltage of 2.55 - 3.88V will they fit anyway? also I was told on another forum that this motherboard can run PC3200 RAM but the manual say it can only run PC 1600/2100/2700 who is right? I'm kindda confuzed here and any advice on this is very much appreciated!

Amazingly this old computer runs between 55-65 FPS in CS:S 1024*768 32bit on de_dust2 as it is now, some new RAM and a little overclocking will make it last just a couple of months more... :)

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
www.crucial.com - pick your motherboard from the list and buy what they recommend.

Buy a gig of RAM, at least. You will see *massive* improvements.

x3m

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I don't see my motherboard on the list, I picked GA-7VAX (since I figured that was the closest match) but first of all it recommends PC4000? second it dosen't seem to take into consideration that my motherboard can only run RAM with 2.5V....

another thing... 1gb is out of the price range.. :(

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
if you are sure that your system uses ddr ram, then buyin ddr-400(PC-3200) will do it no harm even if it can only run it at 2700.

i would recommend a gig of ram, you can go for cheap ram if you don't overclock, as it will be stable enough.

EDIT-> I looked up your motherboard, 3 slots but says only full two when using double sided mem. I would just take the risk and buy 2x512mb ddr-3200, if they don't work(extremely unlikely) then you can always get a refund.

x3m

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
so what you are saying is, fuck CL and everything else, get 1 gb of cheap crap RAM and I'm all set?

nobody mentioned it yet, but what about the voltage? can I use RAM that runs 2.6V when the manual says ONLY 2.5V? (and while we are at it, can someone please explain to me why some RAM runs between 2.55 - 3.55V and others run 2.5V only or 2.6V only and so on?

x3m

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I found these, -> Link they run 2.5 - 2.9V (gotta figure what ever that meens...)

Are you absolutely sure I will get more power outta 2 x slow 512 than 2 very fast 256? (look at the RAM from my first post) CL on the RAM from my first post was 1.5 these are 2.5 (they are about the same price...)

Mondoman

Splendid
so what you are saying is, **** CL and everything else, get 1 gb of cheap crap RAM and I'm all set?
Yes, as long as the RAM works in your PC.
nobody mentioned it yet, but what about the voltage? can I use RAM that runs 2.6V when the manual says ONLY 2.5V? (and while we are at it, can someone please explain to me why some RAM runs between 2.55 - 3.55V and others run 2.5V only or 2.6V only and so on?
ALL DDR RAM will run at 2.5V (although perhaps at slower speed/timing), otherwise it doesn't meet the DDR standard. The higher voltages quoted are for manufacturer-sanctioned overclocking. See this post:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1249881#1249881

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
To be fair, I recommend 2x512MB sticks of RAM. If this is too expensive, then...

I have 2x256 DDR2100 sticks sitting at my house. I'll sell it for 40 bucks and as long as shipping is under 5 bucks, I'll include that in the price.

That way you can have 3x256 sticks of memory. Like I said, 2x512MB sticks would be ideal, but I'm giving you another option.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Are you absolutely sure I will get more power outta 2 x slow 512 than 2 very fast 256?

overall pc performance will be better with 1gb of ram than 512mb.

also, when i suggested 2x512mb ram i thot you were going to chuck the other 256mb.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
HEY- I'll sell you ddr 256 mb 2700 for $10 incl postage, just to get rid of small stuff. Theres no use for any memory under 1 gb anymore, unfortuneately 2 gb ddr sticks are $150+. Also thats lot of memory to buy when industry is going completely ddr2, so may not have that much use for it & you may be very disappointed with how little things actually change. Size will matter much more than timings, as cpu can suddenly use 1.5 gb of memory in certain burst situations. You can see its real slowdown if whole thing has to broken into much smaller blocks.

What I did was get Asus 4bgl-mx533 mainboard from ama zon for $26, then added geforce 6200 pci 128 mb game card. thats makes 2003 system into vista aero, even with little celeron 2.0 ghz/sec processor, total cost $75 for upgrade to vista, yet my 1 gb stick is not right, it tests ok, yet numbers roll by slow in bios startup check, then speed up at end, so something in memory is wrong, i'd like to replace it with another 1 gb stick, yet another $100 into system that is running as fast as it can may just be waste for temporarily, more stable system, as next year at this time person would be idiot not to go intregrated quad.

Also have stick of 512 ddr 2100 i'd sell for $20, at least they both work.

On ebay, micron stick sold for $33 + post today & was ddr 1gb, so it is possible to get some cheap memory, yet it probably poor qualty, given source. Also prices I quoted are standard there.

At this late date I'd recommend hacking at you computer, get bunch o' cheap parts , build & rebuild it, you'LL learn most of info you worry about is meaningless, as theres no way to really know what heck even exact same model NUMBER do internally from differnt sources.Each has its own peculular variation from one standard. It just works, thats all. :D

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

x3m

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Are you absolutely sure I will get more power outta 2 x slow 512 than 2 very fast 256?

overall pc performance will be better with 1gb of ram than 512mb.

also, when i suggested 2x512mb ram i thot you were going to chuck the other 256mb.

I wouldn't say I am going to "chuck" the other 256mb RAM, I am however gonna deliver them back to the person I borrowed them from with thanx :)

I thank you all very much for your advice, you have "almost" all been of great service, I'm gonna stick with 2x512 cheap RAM... I am not however gonna buy em used from any of you guys... this is an overclocking forum, so I know for sure that those RAM has been raped he-he, nah.. the main reason is that is I live in Denmark and if you are gonna send me anything from the U.S. it's gonna cost more than the RAM itself, and if they don't work on arrival... I'm fawked!

Again thank you all! i'm gonna sit back with a cop of coffe now and read the link provided by Mondoman.. peace out!

TRENDING THREADS