Sign in with
Your question

AMD selling Core 2 Duo?

Last response: in CPUs

Will Intel give ATi back their license?

Total: 35 votes

• No, that''s like sleeping with the enemy.
  • 40 %
  • Maybe, people still like XFire
  • 29 %
  • Yes, Intel has no choice, SLI will be awhile
  • 15 %
  • Yes, Intel is born again cooperative.
  • 18 %
October 25, 2006 3:24:29 PM

Yea you heard it right. With the acquisition of ATi complete AMD has gone into the Core 2 business. A quick trip to the new

www.ati.amd.com

will show that Core 2 with XFire is being heralded as the best PC of 2006. I guess AMD really wants those Core 2 chipset purchases. I would assume that OEMs would want XFire for some of their Core 2 boxes and coud put pressure on Intel to renew ATi's license to create compatible mobos with XFire.

Interesting.

More about : amd selling core duo

October 25, 2006 3:39:37 PM

Why not? No matter they say to the public, they know Intel has got the upper hand for now, they may as well make a profit from it.
October 25, 2006 3:46:29 PM

Quote:
I said in the past, Intel has no choice but to buy from AMD. Looks like it may be true.

Its their own fault though, considering how they've dealt with nVidia.
Related resources
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
October 25, 2006 3:49:19 PM

It's simply marketing to remind people that the Radeon GPUs are not just for AMD CPUs. If people thought otherwise, then that could devastate Radeon sales.
October 25, 2006 4:12:57 PM

Quote:
It's simply marketing to remind people that the Radeon GPUs are not just for AMD CPUs. If people thought otherwise, then that could devastate Radeon sales.

As I said I think it's more about chipsets, because any PCIe x16 slot will support any nVidia or ATi GPU. Since peopel always say no one really knows who AMD is it won't seem like a bad deall tat they bought ATi.

It might even raise Ati's profile. nVidia will still be the King on the desktop and midrange server but ATi will MORE THAN LIKELY BE providing the Barcelona (4way+) chipset while nVidia will get the nod for the 4x4 version and there will be a division between the two on the mainstream desktop and mobile.

I do expect to hear about the new mobile chipset in the next month. All they have to do is tweak it and consider making it 65nm. Maybe they'll use Chartered for 65nm chipsets.
October 25, 2006 5:56:04 PM

Quote:
Why not? No matter they say to the public, they know Intel has got the upper hand for now, they may as well make a profit from it.
Might be some reverse-psychology type tactic in regard to the Intel-monopoly suit. Then they can say to the public "look, we don't try to underhandidly deny Intel sales....we sometimes even plug them". Could (but not likely) impress a judge if the suits go further, as well. :wink:
October 25, 2006 6:24:47 PM

Quote:
Might be some reverse-psychology type tactic in regard to the Intel-monopoly suit. Then they can say to the public "look, we don't try to underhandidly deny Intel sales....we sometimes even plug them". Could (but not likely) impress a judge if the suits go further, as well. :wink:

That's a good point because it would be a very difficult thing for Intel to deny, especially after cancelling ATi's license. I mean it's not like AMD needs to reverse engineer a chipset.
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
October 25, 2006 6:30:52 PM

Quote:
As I said I think it's more about chipsets, because any PCIe x16 slot will support any nVidia or ATi GPU. Since peopel always say no one really knows who AMD is it won't seem like a bad deall tat they bought ATi.

Sorry, I was in the Video Card section for a while.

Anywaste, it is an interesting situation. Last year when Intel had chipset shortages AMD was able to increase it's market share as a result of it. Intel is currently having problems producing the various P965 chipsets in large quantities despite having 2 fabs (IIRC) devoted to producing chipsets. But at the same time AMD is having shortages of their own on the CPU side. So it's a little different from last year's situation.

Also, weren't the engineers who were working on chipset for Intel reassigned to other projects a couple of months ago? It would be great for AMD if their ATI division would continue to develop chipsets for Intel to diversify AMD's product porfolio and increase cross product sales. But I think by the time ATI is able to push out their chipsets Intel's shortage issue would be dimished by increased yields and the appearance of nVidia's chipsets.
October 25, 2006 7:00:17 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I was in the Video Card section for a while.

Anywaste, it is an interesting situation. Last year when Intel had chipset shortages AMD was able to increase it's market share as a result of it. Intel is currently having problems producing the various P965 chipsets in large quantities despite having 2 fabs (IIRC) devoted to producing chipsets. But at the same time AMD is having shortages of their own on the CPU side. So it's a little different from last year's situation.

Also, weren't the engineers who were working on chipset for Intel reassigned to other projects a couple of months ago? It would be great for AMD if their ATI division would continue to develop chipsets for Intel to diversify AMD's product porfolio and increase cross product sales. But I think by the time ATI is able to push out their chipsets Intel's shortage issue would be dimished by increased yields and the appearance of nVidia's chipsets.

Yeah, ATi moved their engrs to other projects, probably taking the best of the AMD and Intel chipsets and combining them.

AMD is not really experiencing shortages, they underestimated laptop demand and Dell is sucking up tons. I guess that's kind of a shortage but if your major customer is happy there is no shortage. Dell is second in volume only to HP (and that only recently).

I think that in the long run Intel will have to go back to ATi chipsets. OEMs are starting to frown on Intel's "isolationist; we get all the money" policy. And by th etime nVidia can ramp their 680i, the market for Core 2 will be slightly eroded as the major enthusiasts wont have a wide selection of mobos with Dual PCIe x16 slots.

Thsi will definitely dent in sales to places like VooDooPC and AlienWare. Why would they place more stock in a platform that has mobo costs too high? I mean AMD SLI is less than $100 (570SLI-see Newegg), with nForce 4 mobos gong for less than $80.

That is a major factor. And when you consider the fact that ALL AMD chips work on the same chipset it makes product differentiation easier and platform costs stable.
October 25, 2006 9:52:53 PM

Quote:

Quite true. I'm sure AMD/ATI make more from the sale of an X1950 than they do from the sale of a non FX X2 socket CPU.

I'm just waiting for that Gojdo guy to come in here and abuse BM for no apparent reason now :lol: 
!