To mods: Certain ads make pages load slowly or not at all

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
There are some random times that the page almost never loads or takes long long times. Everything else can work fine though.

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Sadly, as I mostly hang out here while I'm at work, I can't block the ads. I don't object to the ads - but sometimes it does take an awful long time for a page to load.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Sadly, as I mostly hang out here while I'm at work, I can't block the ads. I don't object to the ads - but sometimes it does take an awful long time for a page to load.
My situation is only a little bit different (do basically all my chatting at work). I can change anything on the local pc though coz my mom's the administrator. :twisted:

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Real handy link, thanx. I do have the admin password at work though and it works on any pc of the municipality. Gotta love my mom for giving me the password 2 years ago...

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I had the same issue just a few weeks ago.. even after I upgraded my computer...

the pages would load slow as EFFF.... and it would seriously take like 7 seconds to load a page or more.

the worst was *hides in corner* .. myspace. it would take about a minute to load into my home page.. no profile.

I just installed firefox 2.0 and everything loads in a second.. i'm assuming IE 7 may have improved or i was having some issues with plug ins.

Not sure but maybe a reinstall of the browser and plug in's might help.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I like using the linux -distro windows xp password changing floppy on all those pesky sales people who think they are clever by throwing on a password before they get fired or quit. Takes about two seconds to completely remove and/or change their passwords.

Hope the FLoppy doesn't die on me, because i don't have the name of the program anymore :(

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I had the same issue just a few weeks ago.. even after I upgraded my computer...

the pages would load slow as EFFF.... and it would seriously take like 7 seconds to load a page or more.

the worst was *hides in corner* .. myspace. it would take about a minute to load into my home page.. no profile.

I just installed firefox 2.0 and everything loads in a second.. i'm assuming IE 7 may have improved or i was having some issues with plug ins.

Not sure but maybe a reinstall of the browser and plug in's might help.

I have noticed that it's much worse behind a proxy. I don't want to get rid of the ads, though.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Those header ads are cool, but ones that are not "Ads by Google" have trouble loading.

Mods have no control over this. You want to PM steve_sa, he's the designer - he writes the code! Sorry.

Thx. I 'll do that. It seems like it's a table that loads first. If it loaded last everytime the slow response from the different servers wouldn't affect the page load.

corsair8575

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
best thing i found is use firefox and use options to turn off java script.
Makes it run smooth and gets rid of mid annoying ads. (not to mention annoying intellitext)

if you find a article not hitting the "go" button turn on java script for that one. most of the time you are good on the forums with it off.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I don't object to the ads either, and if they help pay for these forums I don't really want to subvert them. But if there's a way they can be blocked without depriving THG of their revenue I'd like to know. Constructive criticism like Baron's can help solve the problem. I only use Adblock for one particular blog because the ads are excessive and very distracting, but even then I don't feel comfortable doing it.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
There is a PM function on these forums.

Use it.

Alternately, you could be an attention whore and post a trivial complaint in any wrong forum. Oh hang on, you already....

Er, AMD are great btw. Oh, and next year, so are ATI.