Epson Scan Fails to Load for Perfection 3170

DC

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanners,comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Since about the time I installed SP2 for Windows XP I have been unable to
use my Epson 3170 scanner. When I attempt to load Epson Scan it crashes
immediately after the splash screen appears with the standard Windows
exception message "escndv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
close".

I have removed all software components for the scanner--drivers and
programs--a number of times and attempted a clean reinstall of Epson Scan
1.22a from the original CD. I have also tried the new version of Epson Scan
from the Epson website (v2.34a). Both fail with the same result after the
splash screen appears.

Epson email support has thus far proved useless and has only recommended I
try what I told them I had already attempted... a clean reinstall.

I have tried searching for some answers on the NewSoft website but didn't
see anything of use. I believe they are only responsible for creating the
Smart Panel software package, which I am not using. It is the Epson Scan
module that is failing when loaded.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

tHANKS,

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Since about the time I installed SP2 for Windows XP I have been unable to
> use my Epson 3170 scanner. When I attempt to load Epson Scan it crashes
> immediately after the splash screen appears with the standard Windows
> exception message "escndv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
> close".
>
> I have removed all software components for the scanner--drivers and
> programs--a number of times and attempted a clean reinstall of Epson Scan
> 1.22a from the original CD. I have also tried the new version of Epson
> Scan
> from the Epson website (v2.34a). Both fail with the same result after the
> splash screen appears.
>
> Epson email support has thus far proved useless and has only recommended I
> try what I told them I had already attempted... a clean reinstall.
>
> I have tried searching for some answers on the NewSoft website but didn't
> see anything of use. I believe they are only responsible for creating the
> Smart Panel software package, which I am not using. It is the Epson Scan
> module that is failing when loaded.
>
> Anyone have any solutions to this?
>
> tHANKS,

SP2 causes strange problems with some software.
Un-install Epson driver, (Control Panel>Add Remove Programs) reboot and
install the latest software.

Also try removing the USB Controller in Device Manager and reboot, Window XP
will then renew the USB drivers.

Download (again) and install the latest driver from Epson for 3170.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=25021&prodoid=35836301&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"dc" <jdoe

DC

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

" -" <xvvvz@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Did you use the registry cleaning tool from Newsoft?

I didn't find one.

I did however manage to fix the problem through further deliberate
correspondence with Epson. I'll outline what they suggested here in case
anyone else experiences this problem in the future.

1: uninstall the scanner from the Device Manager and uninstall Epson Scan
from the Add/Remove Program control panel. (did this part before)

2: search for and remove any of the follow files from the HD:
Twain.log, Twain001.mtx, Twunk001.mtx, Twunk002.mtx, Twunk003.mtx

3: remove the Epson directory from C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\

4: remove the Epson Scan group from the Windows registry under both
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Epson\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Epson\

5: reboot and reinstall Epson Scan

It's probably the deleted registry key that fixes the problem, and no
doubt the New Soft registry tool does just that... if you can manage to
find where it is hidden away.

Ron

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

Well, I had a similar problems because of two things: There was other
scanner software on my computer which conflicted with Epson's (in my
case it was Canon's, which I think you can reload AFTER the Epson if for
any reason you wanted to do that) and I plugged in the USB cable BEFORE
your computer. Unfortunately, the error messages are not very specific.
Incidentally, when I had my problems the Epson help desk person was
great, and she indicated I was not alone. Hope this helps a bit.

CSM1 wrote:

> @hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Since about the time I installed SP2 for Windows XP I have been unable to
>>use my Epson 3170 scanner. When I attempt to load Epson Scan it crashes
>>immediately after the splash screen appears with the standard Windows
>>exception message "escndv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
>>close".
>>
>>I have removed all software components for the scanner--drivers and
>>programs--a number of times and attempted a clean reinstall of Epson Scan
>>1.22a from the original CD. I have also tried the new version of Epson
>>Scan
>>from the Epson website (v2.34a). Both fail with the same result after the
>>splash screen appears.
>>
>>Epson email support has thus far proved useless and has only recommended I
>>try what I told them I had already attempted... a clean reinstall.
>>
>>I have tried searching for some answers on the NewSoft website but didn't
>>see anything of use. I believe they are only responsible for creating the
>>Smart Panel software package, which I am not using. It is the Epson Scan
>>module that is failing when loaded.
>>
>>Anyone have any solutions to this?
>>
>>tHANKS,
>

> SP2 causes strange problems with some software.
> Un-install Epson driver, (Control Panel>Add Remove Programs) reboot and
> install the latest software.
>
> Also try removing the USB Controller in Device Manager and reboot, Window XP
> will then renew the USB drivers.
>
> Download (again) and install the latest driver from Epson for 3170.
>
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=25021&prodoid=35836301&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

I realize this thread is several months old - but I have use it to solve
my problem with the Perfection 3170 - which is nearly identical to what
has been described at the beginning of the thread. Epson, by the way,
told me to have the scanner serviced. Newsoft never replied to my
request for help. The only other thing I will add is a tip I got from
Newsoft's site that mentioned files with .dsc suffix (usually from
digital camera software).

My fix - all of the above concerning uninstalling and registry purging,
followed by searching and removing .ds and .dsc files. The offending
file it appears in my system was called wiatwain.ds, probably came as
part of a Cannon suite of digital camera apps. I re-installed
EpsonScan only (not smart panel, etc). So far it works fine.

I was really upset with Epson telling me to have the hardware serviced
- because I really didn't think it was hardware related. I even
installed the 3rd party demo of vuescan, and it worked fine - I just
didn't want to spend the money on another app when the one that came
with the hardware should work!

--
RAF_Bruiser