lordmattus

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004
Well I recently built a new system, see sig.
After 3 days of use, the 7900GT card works fine in Windows, but falls apart in games. DDO & Oblivion, I get artifacts, then the game freezes. Sometimes the screen starts blinking as if it is changing refresh rates. And sometimes the entire computer shuts down and restarts on its own.

I didn't OC and I tried removing the soundcard (I think I got all the drivers off). And I tried a couple different versions of nvidia's drivers.

I've read that many people have problems with nvidia's 7900 cards which sometimes gets fixed through exchanges and sometimes not. So I am trying to decide between just getting a refund (only 3 days left but going to cost me 15% restock) and going with a ATI card or RMA/exchange thru MSI hopeing to get a card that works.

Anyone else been through this that can give me advice?
Can I get advice on the best ATI card, $150-$225 range?

Thanks

redline42

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
i would return to the place u bought it...if newegg do it and talk to them maybe they wont charge the restock...i returned and failed 7800gs and they didnt charge the restock but its was like 6 bucks anyway i wasnt scared...

u prob got a bad 7900gt like everyone else who bought one recently...the ram is spotty...

if u have a liking for the 7900 go with the 7900GTO from EVGA that way in 90 days if u feel the need u can step up using their step up program to buy a dx10 card...the GTO is a GTX but a lil slower but a lot less cheaper and u can overclock it to GTX speeds...or just get a 7900gs or x1950pro...which are equal if not better than the GT.....and if u get a GS buy EVGA to Step UP again...

7900gs = 185 plus 20MIR from EVGA
X1950pro equal 199 and up

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Sounds like the PSU is weak, PC runs fine when browsing but when a game is played that requires a greater amount of Graphics horsepower the PSU is not able to supply the needed current so the Graphics CPU starts choking throwing up all over the monitor, ghosting, refreshing and then shutting the whole system down..........your welcome

lordmattus

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004
After all I have read about similar troubles, I think its the graphics card too. I decided I am going to send it back. I'm just not sure what to get now.

TRENDING THREADS