Small PDA (pocket PC)

February 9, 2005 9:45:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.

I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst these
new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The IPAQ
1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715 doesn't
have bluetooth.

Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
difference was astounding.

What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?

--
David Mahon

More about : small pda pocket

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:45:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I consider my 2215 to be about ideal... small, lightweight, nice screen, has
BT, and has both CF and SD slots, so can put in a memory card and still use
my 802.11B CF card....
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:45:30 PM

I'm not sure of your idea of small, but I carry my Dell X30 around pretty
much everywhere I go. It has Bluetooth and WiFi. It has SD slot, but no
Compact Flash.

Dell's Axim Page:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/p...

Hope that helps.

"David Mahon" <news@amigo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
>
> I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst these
> new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The IPAQ
> 1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715 doesn't
> have bluetooth.
>
> Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
> difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
> difference was astounding.
>
> What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?
>
> --
> David Mahon
Related resources
February 9, 2005 9:45:30 PM

If you can still find one, I like the iPAQ H4150 a lot. It's the same size
as the 1940 but has integrated Bluetooth and WiFi.

"David Mahon" wrote:

> I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
>
> I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst these
> new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The IPAQ
> 1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715 doesn't
> have bluetooth.
>
> Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
> difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
> difference was astounding.
>
> What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?
>
> --
> David Mahon

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:09:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

That, grasshoper, is question which you must look within to answer.

(Being a bit less ethereal...)

There is no IDEAL or BEST PDA. It is ENTIRELY a matter of personal
preferance, what works for me may or may not work for you. You already
know pretty much what you're looking for. I would go so far as to write
down SPECIFICALLY what you're going to be using the PPC for ...
EX: Wireless access to your inbox, contacts on the go, mobile data
collection, maps in a pocket etc.

Then once you have that list, then its time to think about features -
How much memory do you think you'll need? Do you need wireless? Do you
need/want a SD and CF card slots?

From there its just a matter of find the unit that best matches both lists.

David H

David Mahon wrote:
> I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
>
> I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst these
> new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The IPAQ
> 1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715 doesn't
> have bluetooth.
>
> Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
> difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
> difference was astounding.
>
> What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:29:46 AM

"Al Dente" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>I consider my 2215 to be about ideal... small, lightweight, nice screen,
>has
> BT, and has both CF and SD slots, so can put in a memory card and still
> use
> my 802.11B CF card....

i-mate JAM
February 10, 2005 1:37:24 AM

"SmartMobileZone" <unlocking@REMOVEsmartmobilezone.net> wrote in message

> "Al Dente" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>>I consider my 2215 to be about ideal... small, lightweight, nice screen,
>>has
>> BT, and has both CF and SD slots, so can put in a memory card and still
>> use
>> my 802.11B CF card....
>>

> i-mate JAM

It's a very nice PPC even if the processor feels a bit slow, but the truth
is the OP will pay over the odds unless he wants a 'phone as well.
February 10, 2005 2:22:50 AM

Loox 720 at www.expansys-usa.com

"David Mahon" <news@amigo.co.uk> escreveu na mensagem
>I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
>
> I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst these
> new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The IPAQ
> 1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715 doesn't
> have bluetooth.
>
> Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
> difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
> difference was astounding.
>
> What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?
>
> --
> David Mahon
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:50:03 AM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:45:29 +0000, David Mahon <news@amigo.co.uk>
wrote:

>I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
>
>I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essentia
>What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?

You can get an Axim X30 with BT and Wifi for not-very-much now the
Dell X50 and other new HP models are out ;-)
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:00:28 AM

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:45:29 +0000, David Mahon <news@amigo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
>>
>>I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essentia
>>What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?
>
> You can get an Axim X30 with BT and Wifi for not-very-much now the
> Dell X50 and other new HP models are out ;-)

I have a Dell Axim X30 that has Blue Tooth AND WiFi and am VERY happy with
it. I picked it up about 6 months ago for about $250 from the Dell website.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:02:39 AM

"David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:o C8230wDFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> That, grasshoper, is question which you must look within to answer.
>
> (Being a bit less ethereal...)
>
> There is no IDEAL or BEST PDA. It is ENTIRELY a matter of personal
> preferance, what works for me may or may not work for you. You already
> know pretty much what you're looking for. I would go so far as to write
> down SPECIFICALLY what you're going to be using the PPC for ...
> EX: Wireless access to your inbox, contacts on the go, mobile data
> collection, maps in a pocket etc.
>
> Then once you have that list, then its time to think about features - How
> much memory do you think you'll need? Do you need wireless? Do you
> need/want a SD and CF card slots?

IMO, get the card slots (I have SD card slots) even if you do not think you
will need it. You might hate yourself later if you don't!

> From there its just a matter of find the unit that best matches both
> lists.
>
> David H
>
> David Mahon wrote:
>> I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
>>
>> I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst these
>> new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The IPAQ
>> 1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715 doesn't
>> have bluetooth.
>>
>> Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
>> difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
>> difference was astounding.
>>
>> What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:42:07 PM

I have the Ipaq 4155 It's fabulous and still the sleek design, I had to get it off e-bay since they don't seem to sell them anymore, but there were plenty offered there, and I got a good deal. You may want to check it out there.

February 10, 2005 7:18:11 PM

In article <un8htdxDFHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Daniel
<daniel@portaldajuda.com.br> writes
>Loox 720 at www.expansys-usa.com

Too big. The 420 looks (pun not intended) much more like what I'm after.
Pity it has an older version of the OS. What's the difference with the
SE version?

--
David Mahon
Anonymous

In article <ED534DBF-C46B-42AF-BB89-E636FB16A6F6@microsoft.com>, Darren
<Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> writes

>If you can still find one, I like the iPAQ H4150 a lot. It's the same size
>as the 1940 but has integrated Bluetooth and WiFi.

Thanks for that - I hadn't noticed that model previously and with the
faster processor (compared to the 1940) and WiFi, it's exactly what I
was looking for. Have bought one from EBay.

--
David Mahon
Anonymous

wrote:

>I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
>
>I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst these
>new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The IPAQ
>1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715 doesn't
>have bluetooth.
>
>Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
>difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
>difference was astounding.
>
>What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?

Ideal one? Bluetooth, small size important?

Why, that would be the i-mate JAM / O2 XDA Mini / T-Mobile MDA Compact
/ Magician etc....

How small is it? - http://www.belfast-biker.com/dvdf/jam.jpg
February 13, 2005 3:16:42 PM

"Me!" <you@hell.com> wrote in message

>>What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?
>

> Ideal one? Bluetooth, small size important?
>
> Why, that would be the i-mate JAM / O2 XDA Mini / T-Mobile MDA Compact
> / Magician etc....
>
> How small is it? - http://www.belfast-biker.com/dvdf/jam.jpg

Except that it's heavier than a normal PPC and costs extra because it has a
built in GSM.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:52:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Me!" <you@hell.com> wrote in message
| On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:45:29 +0000, David Mahon <news@amigo.co.uk>
| wrote:
|
| >I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
| >
| >I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst
these
| >new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The
IPAQ
| >1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715
doesn't
| >have bluetooth.
| >
| >Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
| >difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
| >difference was astounding.
| >
| >What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?
|

| Ideal one? Bluetooth, small size important?
|
| Why, that would be the i-mate JAM / O2 XDA Mini / T-Mobile MDA
Compact
| / Magician etc....
|
| How small is it? - http://www.belfast-biker.com/dvdf/jam.jpg

Ideal- one that costs £1/$1. Not yet available though.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:52:37 AM

Reply to message from "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> (Sun, 13
Feb 2005 19:52:36) about ""Re: Small PDA (pocket PC)"":

> Ideal- one that costs £1/$1. Not yet available though.

And when it is, the subscrption cost to keep it running will be $79 monthly
plus connect charges, with the first 2 months free, of course!
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:52:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

No, actually a $1 PPC is available - it just won't be that up to date.

David H
P.S. The shipping & handling will kill it though!

alan smith wrote:
> "Me!" <you@hell.com> wrote in message
> | On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:45:29 +0000, David Mahon <news@amigo.co.uk>
> | wrote:
> |
> | >I need a PDA, has to be Pocket PC not Palm.
> | >
> | >I need Bluetooth. I would like WiFi but it's not essential. Whilst
> these
> | >new VGA screens look nice what is really important is the size. The
> IPAQ
> | >1940 looks ideal but it's no longer made. The replacement rz1715
> doesn't
> | >have bluetooth.
> | >
> | >Looking at the stats on paper, there doesn't appear to be a huge
> | >difference in size but when I picked up an rz1715 and a rx3715 the
> | >difference was astounding.
> | >
> | >What's the ideal SMALL PDA with integrated bluetooth?
> |

> | Ideal one? Bluetooth, small size important?
> |
> | Why, that would be the i-mate JAM / O2 XDA Mini / T-Mobile MDA
> Compact
> | / Magician etc....
> |
> | How small is it? - http://www.belfast-biker.com/dvdf/jam.jpg
> |

> Ideal- one that costs £1/$1. Not yet available though.

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:52:38 AM

news:o 98RCmjEFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> No, actually a $1 PPC is available - it just won't be that up to date.

Yep, the old 3.5" x 5" spiral-bound shirt pocket notebook.

Exceptional battery life.

> David H
> P.S. The shipping & handling will kill it though!
>
> alan smith wrote:
> > "Me!" <you@hell.com> wrote in message

> > these
> > IPAQ
> > doesn't

> > | Ideal one? Bluetooth, small size important?
> > |
> > | Why, that would be the i-mate JAM / O2 XDA Mini / T-Mobile MDA
> > Compact
> > | / Magician etc....
> > |
> > | How small is it? - http://www.belfast-biker.com/dvdf/jam.jpg
> > |

> > Ideal- one that costs £1/$1. Not yet available though.

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:21:01 PM

"xTenn" <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote in message
> Reply to message from "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> (Sun, 13
> Feb 2005 19:52:36) about ""Re: Small PDA (pocket PC)"":
>
> > Ideal- one that costs £1/$1. Not yet available though.
>
> And when it is, the subscrption cost to keep it running will be $79
> monthly
> plus connect charges, with the first 2 months free, of course!

Oh, now that hurts - it was one step away from, "Back in my day we didn't
need fancy schmancy subscriptions to keep our pocket PCs running. We did it
the hard way, by doing a soft reset every day. And we liked it, by gosh, we
loved it."

Bummer. Feeling old now.

(As a side note, thoughts from another thread that I'll drag in here in a
wonderful example of poor netiquette but works as exampled in the above:

"Back in my day we didn't have any of those fancy schmancy harddrives. We
bought overpriced memory cards and kept moving data around, trying to
prioritize between movies, music, data, encyclopedias, and etext. And we
liked it, by gosh, we loved it." )
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:46:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

> Why, that would be the i-mate JAM / O2 XDA Mini / T-Mobile MDA Compact
> / Magician etc....
>
> How small is it? - http://www.belfast-biker.com/dvdf/jam.jpg

Second that nomination. Absolutely brilliant in function and form factor.
I've had it's big brother, XdaII for over six months and my only complaint
has been the full PDAsize. The XdaII Mini fixes that, smaller but not too
small to be practical as a PPC - and it's a cell phone, too. Played around
with a Mini last week and convinced myself of it's differential over the
others. Seems to be readily available in Sydney, Australia.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:59:18 AM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:16:42 -0000, "JB" <flaxton_uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
>Except that it's heavier than a normal PPC and costs extra because it has a
>built in GSM.

Heavier than a normal PPC? 5.3 ounces? Hardly. And 317ukp from
germany is bloody good value for a tiny handheld, or you can get it
for next to nothing on contract...
!