DVI CONNECTION HELP!!!!!

lucifix

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
I purchased a Solarism 17 inch LCD which has a dvi-d as well as an analog connection.My graphics card (PNY GF3 TI 500)has a DVI-I and an analog connection.My problem is that when i try to use the dvi connection there is no signal.The vga connection works fine.I've tried hooking up a separate monitor(VGA) then connecting the lcd to the dvi,restarting.In device settings in windows the digital flat panel setting is grayed out.Tried nview,no luck.PNY was no help.Solarism tried to help.I'm running windows 98 SE.Sorry so long.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If the monitor has a DVI-D input, you need a card with a DVI-D output.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

lucifix

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
IF THAT'S THE CASE,THEN WHICH G-FORCE 3OR 4 CARDS USE DVI D? I THOUGHT DVI-I (INTERGRATED) MEANT THAT YOU COULD USE ANALOG AS WELL AS A DIGITAL SIGNAL.DVI-I and DVI-D(DIGITAL ONLY)FROM WHAT I READ WERE COMPATIBLE.I'M NOT TRYING TO ATTACK YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON THIS SUBJECT BUT I HOPE YOU ARE WRONG.I SPENT WAY TO MUCH MONEY ON MY SYSTEM FOR IT NOT TO WORK.I SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE RESEARCH BEFORE I BOUGHT THE MONITOR.

sakattack

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2001
I was under the impression that DVI-I is just an intergrated DVI-D & DVI-A in the same output-cable , by reading this <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1577&p=3" target="_new">anandtech </A> article.

So why wouldn't his DVI-I videocard output be sufficient?
I would assume that he just needs the right cable.

OlivierMDVY

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002
Hummm, amazing, cause all the lcd monitor from Viewsonic, for example, has only a dvi-d video input... and all the geforce 3 and 4 a dvi-i video ouput, herr? however it seems it's working ?

lucifix

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
THE CABLE THAT CAME WITH THE MONITOR IS A MALE DVI-D SINGLE LINK(18 PINS).MY MONITOR IS FEMALE DVI-D DUAL LINK (24 pins)DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE? SINGLE OR DUAL?I'M HOPING THE PROBLEM IS JUST A FAULTY CABLE,SO IM BUYING A DVI-D DUAL LINK CABLE.IF THAT DOESN'T WORK,I'LL ASSUME THE MONITOR OR GRAPHICS CARD ARE FAULTY.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lucifix on 04/16/02 08:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
I don't think that card will handle both monitors at the same time, but if you just hook up the LCD, perhaps windows is trying to run too high a refresh rate for it to handle in digital mode (60hz). Though in analog mode the monitor can probably handle 75hz. Just a guess, otherwise something's faulty because I think that setup should work.

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
this is strange, when i got my monitor i just plugged in all the cables and then turned the monitor on and whola, but shut down the computer and unplug all the graphic cables exept the lcd to graphic card... and hope it works

lucifix

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
I've already tried shutting down my computer,hooking the DVI-D cable to the back of my monitor(DVI-D)Then hooking the cable up to the DVI-I output on my graphics card.I turn the computer back on, no signal.I've tried doing this without using another vga monitor and without using the vga connection that came with the monitor(the monitor has a vga connection as well as a dvi connection).The vga(15 pin D-sub) connection works.I'm sorry,it's just frustrating!!!!!

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
ok, connect both monitors and start up and then go to display and check if the computer have even noticed that you ahve 2 monitors. just check if you can do an extension of your desktop.

lucifix

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
I've already tried that,no monitor!!!!I went through this with the tech at Solarism.I'm hoping its just a bad cable.I tried hooking the lcd monitor up to my friends g force 3 card with the dvi output,went through everything I did with mine,same results.In doing that,I eliminated the graphics card from being the culprit.Im waiting for a new cable in the mail.If that doesn't work i'll conclude its the monitor and will get my money back.Thanks for trying everyone.