Sign in with
Your question

AMD to Intel (motherboard + cpu)- methodology question

Last response: in Windows 8
December 8, 2012 2:58:34 PM

Hi,

I know this question has been asked countless times, but it's more a question of method that I am asking now.

My setup right now is an AMD cpu and motherboard.

I am upgrading to an intel cpu and motherboard.

I have one ssd (intel 330 240 gb) and one hard drive (caviar black 2 TB). I also have a 1 TB external hard drive (movies and stuff), I'm also using it for W8's time mach..err..file backup program.

On this hard drive is about a terabyte's worth of data, almost exclusively game programs + movies (entire steam program is on it).

The main drive has all my important documents + music + boot programs.

I am running a windows 8 pro upgrade, but have a vista OEM disc I can use to upgrade from.

I need to do a fresh install for the best results...but I've always bungled everything. What would be the best way to go about this without losing everything or having to reinstall everything on steam.

What would be the best procedure. Any help given would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 3:07:13 PM

for programs, its best to re install them as well if you are doing a fresh install of windows.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
December 8, 2012 3:33:48 PM

Hi

personally I would take an image of SSD to the internal hard disk hard
(various programs available free, possibly from maker of SSD or main hard disk who usually use a oem version of Acronis True Image or free versions of professional software like Macrium Reflect etc)

Then get latest version of drivers for new motherboard

make windows 8 system repair disk in case bootup files not duplicated correctly

notes for win 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Create-a-sy...

(optionally uninstal AV software)
remove all hardware programs/drivers which are motherboard dependant (especially sound card, network card etc)

uninstall hard disk controller drivers, shut down do not reboot or start up again until in new system

move SSD into new build, but leave out main 2TB disk for safety

If this boots up without bsod run motherboard chipset drivers, audio drivers, network drivers etc
reboot a few times (re install AV software if uninstalled)
checkout operating system & programs are working
[you may have to re allocate drive letter for DVD drive, if it changed]
If ok re connect 2TB drive

if it failed to boot you have choice of re imaging back to before new motherboard or formatting SSD and starting from scratch

I have done change over from AMD Athlon 64 to Intel core 2 duo on XP
and core2duo to I5 on dual boot XP + Win 7 without serious problems

(I had more problems going from hard drive to SSD as I used wrong copying software)

BUT you must have retail Windows DVD not OEM, you will need to re activate Windows

Sorry I have never tried this on Win 8 but it should not be too different to 7

you would not be able to activate oem Vista on new motherboard especially if manufacturers OEM rather than Microsoft OEM with hologram which may activate if done along time ago.

let us know how it goes

regards
Mike Barnes

m
l
December 23, 2012 2:58:09 PM

Hi, sorry for my delayed reply...I had thought my topic was never posted. Thank you very much for your help! I'm getting my cpu in a couple of days and I'll let you know how this goes!

Regards (and happy holidays!)

Paul
m
l
Related resources
!