How to clean inside of Canoscan glass?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

Has anyone cleaned the inside glass surface of a Canonscan D2400U?

I there a writeup anywhere showing the correct way to open the case?

Beemer
9 answers Last reply
More about clean inside canoscan glass
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    Beemer <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1c1bc16cd791debb9896ba@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    > Has anyone cleaned the inside glass surface of a Canonscan D2400U?
    >
    > I there a writeup anywhere showing the correct way to open the case?
    >
    > Beemer

    First thing is to remove the Cover by opening it to the vertical
    position and lift straight up. Next lock the carrage and remove the
    two screws exposed by removing the cover. Slide the top by applying
    pressure toward the back of the unit. There you have it.

    The best way to clean the glass is by using steam, if you don't have
    steam try Windex with a lint free cloth.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    Isopropyl alcohol works well too.

    Bill Crocker

    "Terry Yamada" <tyamada@wans.net> wrote in message
    > Beemer <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone cleaned the inside glass surface of a Canonscan D2400U?
    >>
    >> I there a writeup anywhere showing the correct way to open the case?
    >>
    >> Beemer
    >
    > First thing is to remove the Cover by opening it to the vertical
    > position and lift straight up. Next lock the carrage and remove the
    > two screws exposed by removing the cover. Slide the top by applying
    > pressure toward the back of the unit. There you have it.
    >
    > The best way to clean the glass is by using steam, if you don't have
    > steam try Windex with a lint free cloth.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner, comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    Also when you polish off rub one side at 90° to the other side. That
    way it will be obvious which side of the glass any streak is on.

    Michael

    Bill Crocker wrote:
    > Isopropyl alcohol works well too.
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Terry Yamada" <tyamada@wans.net> wrote in message
    > > Beemer <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >> Has anyone cleaned the inside glass surface of a Canonscan D2400U?
    > >>
    > >> I there a writeup anywhere showing the correct way to open the
    case?

    > >> Beemer
    > >
    > > First thing is to remove the Cover by opening it to the vertical
    > > position and lift straight up. Next lock the carrage and remove
    the
    > > two screws exposed by removing the cover. Slide the top by
    applying
    > > pressure toward the back of the unit. There you have it.
    > >
    > > The best way to clean the glass is by using steam, if you don't
    have
    > > steam try Windex with a lint free cloth.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    "Terry Yamada" <tyamada@wans.net> wrote
    > The best way to clean the glass is by using steam, if you don't have
    > steam try Windex with a lint free cloth.

    ummm... how do you apply the steam? hold it over a teakettle? or is there
    some specialized glass-cleaning steamer?

    Also, re isopropyl alcohol recommended elsewhere on the thread -- I've found
    the drugstore variety can lead to streaking. A very pure variety can be
    found at pro photography shops, one brand name is "Eclipse optic cleaning
    system". Also, paper towels seem to be made with incredible amounts of
    soluble goop .. the same photo store will sell you fancy lab grade "PecPad"
    wipes. Or the lint free, carefully laundered and rinsed cloth.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner, comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    ggull wrote:
    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote ...
    > > "GEO" <Me@home.here> wrote ...
    > > > "ggull" <ggullSPAM@NOTrcn.com>

    or is

    > By an odd coincidence, this morning's paper had a little tidbit (with
    > picture) of the Steam Penguin -- "electric steam cleaner ... clean
    windows,
    > glass, and tiles. 'I'llnever do windows the old way'" at
    > www.discountcellar.com, fwiw.
    >
    > I really have to keep better informed on household cleaning trends
    :-).

    recommended elsewhere on the thread -- I've
    > cleaning
    > > >
    > > > I remeber a few years ago, in an audio equipment magazine
    (Audio),
    > > > a retired chemist recommended vodka for cleaning tape heads. I
    wonder
    > > > if it could be used to clean the inside of the glass. As he said,
    you
    > > > know what you can do with the left over vodka.
    > > >
    > > Vodka is alcohol. It is one half alcohol and one half water. (100
    proof)
    > > You can buy at a liquor store 180 proof alcohol, one brand was
    EverClear.
    > > Pure Alcohol is 200 proof.
    > >
    > > You can buy at a drug store 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Ordinary Rubbing
    > Alcohol
    > > is 50-70%. which means that it is mostly water.
    >
    > I don't think it's the alcohol/water ratio that's really important
    for
    > streak-free cleaning, but the tiny fraction-of-a-percent impurities,
    like
    > hardness in water.
    > In chem lab, we used to do a final rinse or two with distilled water
    to get
    > really clean glassware. Come to think of it, that might be another
    > possibility (*distilled* H2O, not spring water, defintely not mineral
    water
    > :-).

    The steam cleaner I am refering to is all of the Euro Steam cleaners as
    seen on the TV shopping channels. I purchased one about 3 years ago
    and realy love the way it cleans glass and my microwave oven. The
    latest ones are cheeper and more compact and have more attachments.

    The Steam cleaning method with an old t-shirt leaves no streaks as do
    the other cleaners (alcohol/windex).
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:32:45 -0500, "ggull" <ggullSPAM@NOTrcn.com>
    wrote:

    >"Terry Yamada" <tyamada@wans.net> wrote
    >> The best way to clean the glass is by using steam, if you don't have
    >> steam try Windex with a lint free cloth.

    >ummm... how do you apply the steam? hold it over a teakettle? or is there
    >some specialized glass-cleaning steamer?
    >Also, re isopropyl alcohol recommended elsewhere on the thread -- I've found
    >the drugstore variety can lead to streaking. A very pure variety can be
    >found at pro photography shops, one brand name is "Eclipse optic cleaning
    >system". Also, paper towels seem to be made with incredible amounts of
    >soluble goop .. the same photo store will sell you fancy lab grade "PecPad"
    >wipes. Or the lint free, carefully laundered and rinsed cloth.

    I remeber a few years ago, in an audio equipment magazine (Audio),
    a retired chemist recommended vodka for cleaning tape heads. I wonder
    if it could be used to clean the inside of the glass. As he said, you
    know what you can do with the left over vodka.

    Geo
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote ...
    > "GEO" <Me@home.here> wrote ...
    > > "ggull" <ggullSPAM@NOTrcn.com>
    > >
    > >>"Terry Yamada" <tyamada@wans.net> wrote
    > >
    > >>ummm... how do you apply the steam? hold it over a teakettle? or is
    > >>there
    > >>some specialized glass-cleaning steamer?

    By an odd coincidence, this morning's paper had a little tidbit (with
    picture) of the Steam Penguin -- "electric steam cleaner ... clean windows,
    glass, and tiles. 'I'llnever do windows the old way'" at
    www.discountcellar.com, fwiw.

    I really have to keep better informed on household cleaning trends :-).

    > >>Also, re isopropyl alcohol recommended elsewhere on the thread -- I've
    > >>found
    > >>the drugstore variety can lead to streaking. A very pure variety can be
    > >>found at pro photography shops, one brand name is "Eclipse optic
    cleaning
    > >>system". Also, paper towels seem to be made with incredible amounts of
    > >>soluble goop .. the same photo store will sell you fancy lab grade
    > >>"PecPad"
    > >>wipes. Or the lint free, carefully laundered and rinsed cloth.
    > >
    > > I remeber a few years ago, in an audio equipment magazine (Audio),
    > > a retired chemist recommended vodka for cleaning tape heads. I wonder
    > > if it could be used to clean the inside of the glass. As he said, you
    > > know what you can do with the left over vodka.
    > >
    > Vodka is alcohol. It is one half alcohol and one half water. (100 proof)
    > You can buy at a liquor store 180 proof alcohol, one brand was EverClear.
    > Pure Alcohol is 200 proof.
    >
    > You can buy at a drug store 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Ordinary Rubbing
    Alcohol
    > is 50-70%. which means that it is mostly water.

    I don't think it's the alcohol/water ratio that's really important for
    streak-free cleaning, but the tiny fraction-of-a-percent impurities, like
    hardness in water.
    In chem lab, we used to do a final rinse or two with distilled water to get
    really clean glassware. Come to think of it, that might be another
    possibility (*distilled* H2O, not spring water, defintely not mineral water
    :-).
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    In article <9d3e8a91.0412041244.781f9b86@posting.google.com>,
    tyamada@wans.net says...
    > Beemer <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1c1bc16cd791debb9896ba@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    > > Has anyone cleaned the inside glass surface of a Canonscan D2400U?
    > >
    > > I there a writeup anywhere showing the correct way to open the case?
    > >
    > > Beemer
    >
    > First thing is to remove the Cover by opening it to the vertical
    > position and lift straight up. Next lock the carrage and remove the
    > two screws exposed by removing the cover. Slide the top by applying
    Terry,

    Thanks. I should have looked more closely before posting! I used
    Servisol IPA 170 isopropyl alcohol 99% pure to remove the outgassing.

    This is rather dangerous stuff very inflammable and toxic but perfect
    for glass. One word of caution NEVER apply to a plastic lens as it will
    destroy it.

    Beemer

Scanners Peripherals