Missing Windows Desktop Icons and Startup Button

When I start up my XP computer I get a blank desktop - No Application Icons
or Start button or taskbar at the bottom.
I think this happened to me on an old ME machine a long time ago but I can't
remember what startup file I had to implement and how.
Can someone help ?
Thanks,
Paul
3 answers Last reply
More about missing windows desktop icons startup button

    Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
    Taskbar".

    Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    > Item No. 195 (right column), click on "Restore Desktop Icons and
    > Taskbar".
    >

    > Install the registry fix, then reboot your computer.

    Carey,
    > Thank you very much for the help. Happy Holidays.
    Paul
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >

    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Paul" wrote:
    >
    > | When I start up my XP computer I get a blank desktop - No Application Icons
    > | or Start button or taskbar at the bottom.
    > | I think this happened to me on an old ME machine a long time ago but I can't
    > | remember what startup file I had to implement and how.
    > | Can someone help ?
    > | Thanks,
    > | Paul

    You want to switch to the classic desktop not the XP desktop. right click on
    the taskbar, click on properties, click on start menu tab and select classic
    view.

    "Missing XP Desktop Icons,Startup,Taskbar" <Missing XP Desktop
    Icons,Startup,Taskbar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I start up my XP computer I get a blank desktop - No Application
    > Icons
    > or Start button or taskbar at the bottom.
    > I think this happened to me on an old ME machine a long time ago but I
    > can't
    > remember what startup file I had to implement and how.
    > Can someone help ?
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

Desktop Icons Windows XP