open box on a e6400?

blindsideone

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
hi all,

i was wondering what your opinions were on if you were to get a
proc from NE, because they are like 197 and i wanted to scrape the stock hsf and spend the extra 20 on an after market cooler?

thoughts anyone?

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
IF he wants to overclock heavily though he might as well go ahead and grab the aftermarket cooler with the money he is saving. Also, directed to him, you should make sure that this CPU works well and nothing is wrong with it before keeping it a while and OC'ing. Do a lot of burn in testing to make sure it works 100%.

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
No doubt an excellent cooler, of course we need to take in affect the Mobo he is using. I love how we are more excited about him Overclocking than he is.

blindsideone

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
sorry im posting all of this at work when i have time to read and what not... as for the topic of OC'ing i plan to but not much beyond 3Ghz ...i know the stock hsf can pull that off but i like having the peace of mind...

blindsideone

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
hehe...you got me there i dont know what mobo yet... i was originally planning on buliding an AMD system with the x2 4200+ but the e6300/6400 are blowing them out of the water i have to switch... i want to get a good mildly OCable board for 130 tops. coupled with the new 1950pro and hit up oblivion at 12x10 but 10x7 is also acceptable. suggestions?

lol...just re-read it "in reply to: Aids" haha :lol:

Mondoman

Splendid
The potential problem with non-"flower-style" LGA775 aftermarket coolers is that they don't meet the 2nd part of Intel's thermal spec, which is to blow air down onto the MB and out in all directions, thus cooling nearby components such as the PWM area and northbridge. Depending on your MB and system makeup, using such a hsf may require you to add additional cooling for those other components.
I love my Freezer 7 Pro, but I did have to add additional fans in the PWM area of my MB.