Making Linksys WRT54G Router and WPC54G LapTop card work w..

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I compile these notes from many sources here in one place in
acknowledgment and gratitude for the many posters who gave me clues
from which I learned when I was stuck the many times over the last few
days installing this Wireless network to use WPA encryption. I will
tell you what I did. Of course, I did many uninstalls and
re-installs, but I will give you the straight-through scenarios and
successful installs as I remember them, assisted by my notes. In a
follow-up posting to this summary, you may please make any corrections
where you find them useful.

==WRT54G Router==

I brought up the XP LapTop first with a direct Ethernet wired link
from the LapTop Ethernet port to the second Ethernet port on the
WRT54G router. I connected the "Internet" port of the WRT54G router
to the DSL modem, and the DSL modem was already connected to the phone
line. Previously, I had gotten the link from the DSL modem to the
phone line to work by connecting the XP LapTop directly to the DSL
modem and signing onto the ISP Internet service using the XP Network
Connections utility available under Start, My Network Places, View
network connections, File, New Connection.

The initial URL to the WRT54G router was http://192.168.1.1. For the
installation phase, I used only the 1) Setup, 2) Wireless and 3)
Status tabs on the Router menu.

My ISP uses PPPoE, so under the "Setup, Basic Setup" tab of the WRT54G
router, I got a successful connection to the Internet by 1) selecting
PPPoE for the Internet Connection Type and then 2) entering the
appropriate User Name and Password and 3) clicking the Save Settings
button at the bottom of the screen so that the changes took effect.

Under the "Wireless, Basic Wireless Settings" tab of the WRT54G menu,
I 1) selected Wireless Network Mode = G-Only, 2) typed RouterCentral
into the SSID field, 3) selected Wireless Channel = 6, and 4) Wireless
SSID Broadcast = Disable. And clicked the Save Settings button.

Under the "Wireless, Wireless Security" tab of the WRT54G menu, I 1)
selected Security Mode = WPA Pre-Shared Key, 2) selected WPA
Algorithms = TKIP, 3) typed MySecretPhrase in the WPA Shared Key
field, and 4) typed 5 in the Group Key Renewal field to speed the
initial connections of the wireless cards during setup. I later
increased the Group Key Renewal field to a higher number under the
theory that a higher number for Group Key Renewal would reduce the
network overhead for encryption.

Under the "Wireless, Wireless MAC Filter" tab of the WRT54G menu, I
selected 1) Wireless MAC Filter = Enable and 2) Permit Only = Permit
only PCs listed . . . . Then I 1) clicked the Edit MAC Filter List
button and 2) keyed in the MACs of my wireless cards. Whenever I made
an error in entering the MAC of a wireless cards, I could temporarily
allow the card with the MAC entry in error to connect by temporarily
Disabling the Wireless MAC Filter; then I could copy and paste the
correct MAC from the access under the Wireless Client MAC List button.
Under the "Wireless, Advanced Wireless Settings" tab, I left all
fields with their "Default" values.

Under the "Status, Router" tab, I could verify the connections made
from the WRT54G router through the DSL modem to the ISP provider.
Under the "Status, Local Network," tab and the DHCP Clients Table
button, I could see at the various stages of the install which
wireless cards had connected to the WRT54G router. Once, when I had
encryption turned off and SSID broadcast set to on, I caught an
"interloper" signed onto my fledgling wireless network--probably a
lawyer in the office next door. She did no harm, but I kicked whoever
it was off my network by "Deleting" the interloper's DHCP lease with
the "Delete" button. I will inquire of who I think it was to get her
MAC address if she would like to use my network because I think I can
trust her.

==WPC54G card under XP==

I just plugged the WPC54G card into the slot, and XP did the install
of an initial driver for the card, including asking for the Linksys
CD. But I had to install a newer driver from
http://www.linksys.com/download/. I forced the selection of the
downloaded driver by the following: Start, Control Panel, System,
Hardware, Device Manager, Network Adapters, Right click on Wireless-G
Notebook Adapter, Update Driver, Install from specific location,
Browse to directory of the unzipped downloaded driver, Ok, Finish.
At this time, I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the XP LapTop.
And rebooted.

Do NOT install the WRT54G card software from the card CD.

I used the XP utility for managing Wireless cards. I got to the XP
Wireless card utility by the following: Right click on the xed out
"Wireless Connection" on the Right Task bar notification area, click
on View Available Wireless Networks, Advanced, Check the Use Windows
Check box at the left top of the window which turns on the Add button,
Click the Add button near the left bottom of the window. Then I
entered the following fields on the "Association" tab: 1) Network name
(SSID) = RouterCentral which was the name I entered in the SSID field
of the WRT54G router, 2) Network Authentication = WPA-PSK, 3) Data
encryption = TKIP, 3) Network key = MySecretPhrase which is what you
entered in the WPA Shared Key field on the WRT54G router, and 4)
reenter MySecretPhrase in the Confirm Network key field. I made no
changes under the "Authentication" tab. After Ok and Ok to clear the
dialog boxes, the card established wireless connection in about a
minute.

==WPC54G card under 98SE==

First, I turned off Norton AntiVirus completely so that it would
neither start or load the icon to the right in the task bar
notification area on reboot.

Then I installed the software from the WPC54G card CD--both the
Linksys software and the Odyssey software. There are serious
contentions between the Linksys installation software and the 98SE
operating system. I got several error messages, and I had to
reinstall the Odyssey software a few times, as I will describe below,
just to correct for the contentions between the installation software
and the 98SE operating system. Among other things, the Linksys
installation process overwrites a part of the 98SE operating system,
in particular the Linksys installation process overwrites the version
of the iphlpapi.dll file that the Odyssey software needs. In the
succeeding paragraphs, I will describe how I got it all to work
despite the serious contentions between the WPC54G card installation
software and the 98SE operating system.

After I installed the WPC54G card CD software with some errors as I
described above, I plugged the WPC54G card into the slot, and 98SE
made its attempt to install the drivers for the WPC54G card. There
were several requests for the 98 installation CD, but the only
installation CD I had handy was the Second Edition upgrade, on which I
could not find the requested files--because I believe the requested
files are compressed into .cab files, at least on the Second Edition
CD.

As a stopgap measure, I used the Find function, under Start, Find,
Files or Folders, to search my C:\Windows directory with the "Include
Subfolders" box Checked. There were about four separate requests for
files, that each time I could Find in the C:\Windows directory, and I
keyed the name of the appropriate directory into the box of the
installation dialog.

Then I pulled the most recent WPC54G drivers for 98SE from
http://www.linksys.com/download/. And I forced the driver install
from the directory of the unzipped driver file by Start, Settings,
Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Network Adapters, Right click
on Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Properties, Driver, Update Driver,
Next, Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, Have
Disk, Browse to the directory of the unzipped downloaded driver file,
Select Isbcmnds.inf, Ok, OK, Select Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, and a
series of Nexts to begin the Install. Then, there was another series
of screens in which I had to Find parts of the 98SE operating system,
such as Locproxy.exe which LOOKS like Iocproxy.exe. These files, as I
remember were in either C:\windows or C:\windows\system.

Next, as described on the Odyssey troubleshooting site at
http://www.funk.com/subsections/odytechnotes.asp under "Error Messages
and Codes," "Odyssey has detected a missing component . . .", I
recovered from the overwrite of the iphlpapi.dll file in the 98SE
operating system as described in the "Restore the Iphlpapi.dll File"
section of the Microsoft document at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823256.
Basically, I did Start, Run, sfc, Select "Extract one file from the
installation disk," Browse to c:\windows\system\iphlpapi.dll, and
Click start. Then, in the "Restore from" window, I browsed to the
directory of the 98SE update installation CD where the .cab files
are--which on my system was the E:\win98 directory. I had searched
with Windows explorer to find the directory with the .cab files on the
98SE Upgrade CD.

After the restoration of the overwritten iphlpapi.dll file as
described above, I uninstalled Odyssey and reinstalled Odyssey by
running the LinksysClientEnglish.exe file in the OdysseyClient
directory of the WPC54G installation CD.

Then I ran the OdysseyClient software by Start, Programs, Funk
Software, Odyssey Client, Odyssey Client Manager. Then I did the
following: 1) Click Adapters, Add, Select Wireless-G Notebook Adapter;
2) Click Networks, Add, Network name (SSID) = RouterCentral which was
the name I entered in the SSID field of the WRT54G router, Association
mode = WPA, Encryption method = TKIP, Passphrase = MySecretPhrase
which is what you entered in the WPA Shared Key field on the WRT54G
router, and Ok; 3) Connection, Check Connect to network, Select
RouterCentral from the DropDown Box, and Click the Reconnect button.

You are operational within a minute, if God in her secular holiness be
willing.

Riley M. Sinder
Rednblu@ix.netcom.com

Archived from groups: (More info?)