Your question

Price vs. Preformance

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 26, 2006 3:03:43 AM

Tomshardware published a graph of CPU performance versus price. I was wondering if anyone had the link?

Currently have an AMD3000+ 939 pin and considering going up to the AMD X2 4800+ 939 pin prior to the release of Vista?

What do you think?

More about : price preformance

October 26, 2006 3:50:18 AM

Quote:
Tomshardware published a graph of CPU performance versus price. I was wondering if anyone had the link?

Currently have an AMD3000+ 939 pin and considering going up to the AMD X2 4800+ 939 pin prior to the release of Vista?

What do you think?

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

You can't go wrong with a dual core CPU, though it would be a shame to orphan a perfectly good socket 939 processor. Are you going to sell it or build another system around it?

I use a pretty mediocre Dell P4 3.2 GHz system at the office and it runs Vista well, though the "Aero" interface is disabled because the onboard video is weak. As long as you have at least a gig of RAM and a half decent 128 MB video card, Vista should run with all of the bells and whistles enabled. It's actually a pretty nice OS, once you tweak it.
October 26, 2006 3:58:48 AM

Thanks for the pointers...

I had read the article but could not find the chart a second time. Hmmm. sounds like a tough question to get rid of a perfectly good AMD 3000+ to see if there are any changes with Vista performance on a 4800+. (I don't play games and have a Geforce 6600)

Currently running 2 gigs of memory... this may be the last upgrade for the the gigabyte K8n9-f motherboard.

Thanks for the help..
October 26, 2006 11:25:13 AM

Not a bad move getting a X2 4800+. You have enough ram, but your video card might not have enough power to run vista with all the nice extras. :?
!