Forced re-activation

Hi all,
Last night, whislt trying to get my xp system to talk via a home network to
my win98se system (that's another tale altogether!), I ran msconfig and
selected diagnostic startup, which I'm sure you all know is that only the
essential processes run at startup, in case any of my MSI utilities that came
with the motherboard were interfering with my attempt to get the machines to
communicate. The result of selecting this option was that xp rebooted to
allow these changes to take effect. Just as my welcome screen emerged, I was
greeted by a message box which said that too many components had changed and
I had to re-activate windows. T quickly ran msconfig, reset the start up
options and rebooted, but the re-activation was flagged and so I eventually
rang the toll free number to re-activate. Is this likely to happen every time
I run a selected startup, even although I have not changed any harware at all?
Many thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about forced activation

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:13:01 -0800, StrangertoTechnology wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > Last night, whislt trying to get my xp system to talk via a home network to
    > my win98se system (that's another tale altogether!), I ran msconfig and
    > selected diagnostic startup, which I'm sure you all know is that only the
    > essential processes run at startup, in case any of my MSI utilities that came
    > with the motherboard were interfering with my attempt to get the machines to
    > communicate. The result of selecting this option was that xp rebooted to
    > allow these changes to take effect. Just as my welcome screen emerged, I was
    > greeted by a message box which said that too many components had changed and
    > I had to re-activate windows. T quickly ran msconfig, reset the start up
    > options and rebooted, but the re-activation was flagged and so I eventually
    > rang the toll free number to re-activate. Is this likely to happen every time
    > I run a selected startup, even although I have not changed any harware at all?
    > Many thanks

    Shouldn't happen every time.

    Similar situation: I have an ATI display adapter. One of their recommended
    methods for updating drivers is to revert to "SafeVGA" and then install the
    new drivers. I notice that every once in a while, those actions will
    trigger an activation prompt. Technically, these changes shouldn't trigger
    activation since the underlying hardware is the same but over time, they
    do.

    Usually activation goes through over the internet but I imagine that if ATI
    updated drivers enough times within the 120 day time period that a call
    might be required. While a call is more of an inconvenience than internet
    activation, I would not expect a problem in completing the task.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    One of the things that seems to stop this nonsense is a new CD key
    (different than the activation key) that can be furnished via the phone call
    method.
    The original key may have made it to the list of too many active copies or
    activations. (Even though there is only one system using the key.) In some
    instances, such as development and under other circumstances, a multiple use
    key may be furnished, although you will likely not be told that the key is a
    multiple use key.

    > On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:13:01 -0800, StrangertoTechnology wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> Last night, whislt trying to get my xp system to talk via a home network
    >> my win98se system (that's another tale altogether!), I ran msconfig and
    >> selected diagnostic startup, which I'm sure you all know is that only the
    >> essential processes run at startup, in case any of my MSI utilities that
    >> came
    >> with the motherboard were interfering with my attempt to get the machines
    >> communicate. The result of selecting this option was that xp rebooted to
    >> allow these changes to take effect. Just as my welcome screen emerged, I
    >> was
    >> greeted by a message box which said that too many components had changed
    >> and
    >> I had to re-activate windows. T quickly ran msconfig, reset the start up
    >> options and rebooted, but the re-activation was flagged and so I
    >> eventually
    >> rang the toll free number to re-activate. Is this likely to happen every
    >> time
    >> I run a selected startup, even although I have not changed any harware at
    >> all?
    >> Many thanks
    >
    > Shouldn't happen every time.
    >
    > Similar situation: I have an ATI display adapter. One of their recommended
    > methods for updating drivers is to revert to "SafeVGA" and then install
    > the
    > new drivers. I notice that every once in a while, those actions will
    > trigger an activation prompt. Technically, these changes shouldn't trigger
    > activation since the underlying hardware is the same but over time, they
    > do.
    >
    > Usually activation goes through over the internet but I imagine that if
    > ATI
    > updated drivers enough times within the 120 day time period that a call
    > might be required. While a call is more of an inconvenience than internet
    > activation, I would not expect a problem in completing the task.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    Thanks for that. I'm not sure I understand the bit:

    > The original key may have made it to the list of too many active copies or
    > activations

    I did omit to mention however, that after the original message box telling
    me to re-activate, I tried on the internet and after entering my CD key, I
    got a message to the effect that I had exhausted all the activation attempts
    assigned to this key. It went on ," if you feel that this is an error, call
    the toll free number...". This is an OEM Win XP home SP2 which I bought for
    70 quid from a reputable dealer, along with my motherboard, processor etc. I
    am a bit of a novice at XP, but I'm sure during installation, the key is
    checked to ensure it's not stolen or bogus. I wonder what will happen when I
    clone my hdd onto a bigger one (when the need arises of course!)
    Thanks again

    "Chuck" wrote:

    > One of the things that seems to stop this nonsense is a new CD key
    > (different than the activation key) that can be furnished via the phone call
    > method.
    > The original key may have made it to the list of too many active copies or
    > activations. (Even though there is only one system using the key.) In some
    > instances, such as development and under other circumstances, a multiple use
    > key may be furnished, although you will likely not be told that the key is a
    > multiple use key.
    >
    > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:13:01 -0800, StrangertoTechnology wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all,
    > >> Last night, whislt trying to get my xp system to talk via a home network
    > >> my win98se system (that's another tale altogether!), I ran msconfig and
    > >> selected diagnostic startup, which I'm sure you all know is that only the
    > >> essential processes run at startup, in case any of my MSI utilities that
    > >> came
    > >> with the motherboard were interfering with my attempt to get the machines
    > >> communicate. The result of selecting this option was that xp rebooted to
    > >> allow these changes to take effect. Just as my welcome screen emerged, I
    > >> was
    > >> greeted by a message box which said that too many components had changed
    > >> and
    > >> I had to re-activate windows. T quickly ran msconfig, reset the start up
    > >> options and rebooted, but the re-activation was flagged and so I
    > >> eventually
    > >> rang the toll free number to re-activate. Is this likely to happen every
    > >> time
    > >> I run a selected startup, even although I have not changed any harware at
    > >> all?
    > >> Many thanks
    > >
    > > Shouldn't happen every time.
    > >
    > > Similar situation: I have an ATI display adapter. One of their recommended
    > > methods for updating drivers is to revert to "SafeVGA" and then install
    > > the
    > > new drivers. I notice that every once in a while, those actions will
    > > trigger an activation prompt. Technically, these changes shouldn't trigger
    > > activation since the underlying hardware is the same but over time, they
    > > do.
    > >
    > > Usually activation goes through over the internet but I imagine that if
    > > ATI
    > > updated drivers enough times within the 120 day time period that a call
    > > might be required. While a call is more of an inconvenience than internet
    > > activation, I would not expect a problem in completing the task.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Sharon F
    > > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
    >

    > ---
    > Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

    An OEM is tied to the original hardware. Even though you didn't change the
    hardware, the function you performed made it appear as such, this triggered
    activation and because you are using an OEM disk, it also required a phone
    call.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User