$2800-$3000 system

ohlmsjm

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
It's time to build a new system and I was curious what the experts here at Toms Hardware thought would be the best fit for my needs based upon the criteria / info listed below:

I have never been a huge fan of overclocking as I prefer system longevity and stability followed by expected performance. I'm a gamer but I also dabble in media creation/edit so I am certainly looking for what makes sense to build.

I've been following the technology for the last 2 months or so and I'm torn between building now (x6800 or e6700/e6600) or wait until the Quad Cores are out. The problem I have is would I even utilize the full potential of a quad core based upon my usage? Also, in terms of Crossfire/SLI, it sounds like the SLI technology is more mature but performance and price - wise, it would make sense to go with a Crossfire solution. Would it make sense to wait until DX 10 cards are available?

I've already got a monitor (Dell 2001FP) and I typically run at 1600x1200 resolution, everything maxed if possible when I game. Based upon the fact that I am not really running anything beyond 1600x1200, would it make sense to push my current monitor to the side and start looking at the 30" widescreens for an Xfire or SLI solution? I've followed Nvidia pretty religiously over the years but ATI is certainly not out of the question.

Even though I am not a fan of overclocking, it sounds like the dual and quad cores chips are perfect for it, so light overclocking would probably suffice.
I will need a CPU Fan/Heatsink recommendation.
I will be using on-board sound for now.
I will need a case and I am partial to Thermaltake, Lian-Li, Cooler Master, etc. I need something that will remain extremely cool and is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. (I currently have the Thermaltake Tsunami, and the Lian-Li PC 60)
I will need a PSU to support an Xfire or DX 10 solution provided that's what is suggested. I am thinking somewhere along the lines of at least 700W, possibly 850W+
I will need no less than 2 gigs of memory that will fit in this rig.
I'm sort of partial to the Gigabyte mothers that use the solid state capacitors since it sounds like that's an excellent way to increase the longevity of the system but I'm easily persuaded.
Other peripherals: Keyboard, Mouse, DVD-R/CD-RW, floppy, etc. I will pick out later and am not factoring into the cost at this time.
Storage subsytem: Raid 0 is fine but not necessary and I am partial to Western Digital hard drives. However, lately the last couple of drives I have picked up have started to become extremely noisy.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I look forward to the responses. If you need additional information regarding what I am looking for, please don't hesitate to mention it.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Sky's the limit with $3,000........
Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go..?
Lay $990 down a P4/EE and build around it.
3x320GB SATA HDD's in Raid(5):$300
2Gig's (2x1GB) of G.SKILL 1066MHz: $500
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe: $250
Ya still got $960 for peripherals like a nice Plextor CD/DVD Burner,
Creative X-fi Platinum sound card/controller...........
You don't need the biggest/fastest/baddest CPU
or the best RAM money can buy
bu you do need that motherboard, it rocks :twisted:

Coolkid

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I built a high end PC recently.These is some of the specs with minor mods to suit your budget.

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93Ghz
Asus P5WDH MOBO
Corsair XMS 2 6400C3 2GB (I bought 4GB)
ATI X1950 XTX/Crossfire (I boght a Geforce 7950GX2 for 700$..I am an idiot :? )
Western Digital Raptor X 150GBx2 in Raid 0
Seagate 7200.10 500GB
XiFi Fatal1ty
650W PSU (Get a 850W PSU if you are planning DX10 High end SLI/Crossfire)
Any High end Aluminum/Steel Case(Thermaltake)
After market HSF or LCS
DVD Writer

Good Luck :)

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006

ARE YOU RETARDED, you just recommended a P4 for $1k!!!

Anyway, with that budget limits are certainly non existin(sp). Go for an e6600, should suffice for all you needs and give you that mild overclock you desire. Also, the Seagate 7200.10 are about the best HDDs on the market right now, specifically the 320GB versions. For your resolution an x1900xtx or something similar would be good. A creative xfi fatal1ty card would fit nicely into the budget too. So here is my rundown

CPU- e6600 $313 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003
MOBO Gigabyte 965P DQ6 $198
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128323
RAM- 2GB CL4 DDR2800 $275 (this is one that could be changed if desired)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144028
GFX- EAX1950Pro $165 (this is a great card and if you want more power you can get another one for xfire, but with DX10 just around the corner... this should suffice)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121031
PSU- Hiper Pro 580w $100 (I like these PSUs, they should be plenty sufficient)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058+50011154&Subcategory=58&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=
Sound Card- Xfi Fatal1ty $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102005
HDDs- Seagate 320sx2 $200 (these are awesome)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

That brings you to $1401 for one SWEET system and gives you a few dollars to play around with. I wouldn't invest into a xfire or sli system yet, wait to see what DX10 brings, and then decide.

Psimon

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
Here's what I just bought that fits in that price range:

---------------------------------------------
Case: Coolermaster Stacker 830 Tower
Mobo: ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WIFI-AP nForce 590 SLI (3 x16 PCI-E slots)
CPU: Intel C2D E6600 2.4Ghz (4 MB cache)
(with a Coolermaster Liquid CPU Cooling Kit)
GPU: Nvidia 7950 1MB GX2
HD's: Two 300GB 7200RPM Western Digitals in RAID0, plus
1 more WD 300GB "2ndary" drive.
RAM: 2GB Corsair DDR2 MVS2 Xtreme Memory w/heat spreaders
Sound: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer PCI
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1
---------------------------------------------

I didn't get a monitor (my current system has a brand-new Phillips 109B6 19" CRT) or list the various peripherials like keyboard, mouse, software, etc.

If you're going to a HUGE display, I'd go SLI now by replacing the Nvidia 7950 with two Nvidia 7900's in an SLI configuration. From what I heard you really dont' need SLI unless you're going to large displays @ high resolutions (which it sounds like you're gonna).

Myself, I'm planning to go "quad" SLI by getting a 2nd 7950 in the future, but right now its "not soup yet" as Nvidia hasn't finalized the drivers and the performance gains with the 7950 are minimal.

I like the GigaByte boards myself, also, especially that one with the solid capacitors. In the end I went with the ASUS, though ( I wanted the 3 PCI-E slots).

I'm a gamer but I also dabble in media creation/edit so I am certainly looking for what makes sense to build
If you made a living doing in media creation/edit using 3dMax8 and Adobe Premier Pro (for example) then a Quad core would be a no-brainer decision. If you're an average computer user you're more likely a 50/50 type. 50% basic tasks (email, web surfing, etc) and 50% gaming & media tasks. Intel "Kentsfield" Performance Explored shows that media tasks get a nice "pop" in performance (caveat; with the RIGHT software) while increases in gaming are not so nearly dramatic. A larger Kentsfield review is here: THG Core 2 Quadro Kentsfield

Crossfire/SLI is about the same. Under the "right" circumstances it makes sense. IMO 1600x1200 resolution is where you begin seeing a good benefit for multi-GPU setups. Again - it can depend heavily on your favorite games. My favorite game does not scale at all with CF/SLI getting worse performance. If you're the type of gamer that "must" have all eye candy turned on, think its heresy to NOT use 4AA/8AF at all times and games at 1920x1200 or higher than resolution then CF/SLI is what you need. As an average user that gets no benefits in basic computer tasks and media tasks you just have to weigh the extra cost against your gaming enjoyment.

Since your current LCD monitor is no slouch I'd hold onto it and evaluate your performance and enjoyment satisfaction with the new system and then decide if you need/want an upgrade. If you buy a new system with an eye to possible CF/SLI you could buy the extra video card at the same time you get that 30" 2560 x 1600 resolution monitor. But also checkout the 24" widescreen 1920x1200 monitors. Usually make more sense from matching desktop size/price range consideration.

As for overclocking - its your ticket to a X6800 type performance on an E6600 budget. For all practical purposes you sacrifice no stability and longevity with a mild (25%) overclocking.

The question on what hardware to put inside your new system. Check out this High-End Buyer's Guide - October 2006 which bundles the suggestions up nicely with decent explainations on why the hardware is being recommended. There are performance and higher upgrade options listed as well.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

I thought the exact same thing.... :lol:

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Heres a good one:

Intel Celeron 351
Geforce 6200
256 Megs Kingston Value RAM
2 Gig Toshiba HD
NO MOTHERBOARD! YOU DONT NEED A MOTHERBOARD FOR A COMPUTER!
Ipod headphones for speakers
No CD or DVD drives.
5.4 in Floppy drive for all your high capacity storage needs.

That should get you 10000+ 3dmarks at 3dmark2006, i think
:p haha
-cm

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Other then the processor and the Motherboard I just got today this is what I built one year ago this month.
Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFiAP Motherboard $219.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor 315.00
Corsair Value Select 2GB 240-Pin DDR 2 533 141.05
Sky Hawk/Eagle Tech ATX-GM570PC 570W Power Supply 58.99
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB 7200 RPM Drive 84.00
LITE-ON IDE DVD-CD Burner 43.00
TEAC Floppy 14.00
Thermaltake Super Tower Case Armor VA8000BWS 129.00
XFX SP- PCC5 - G PCI SATA 5-Port RAID Storage Processor 229.99
With 4 Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM S-ATA Drives 306.00
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink with Fan 30.99
Two EVGA e - GeForce 7800 GT 256MB DDR-3 Cards 623.00
12 Foot DVI Cable 93.99
Shipping 112.00
Windows Home Edition with SP2 91.95
Gyration Ultra Cordless RF Mouse and Keyboard, I Had
________
$2491.96
Acer 24” AL2416WD TFT LCD 639.46
_________
$3131.42

Bruins004

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Just as a reference I was able to build this system in September 2005:

AMD Athlon64 3200+
MSI K8N Platinum Motherboard
XFX 7800GT
1 GB Kingston Value RAM
OCZ PowerStream 520W
Logysis Dracula Case (3 fans total - 2 120mm 1 80mm)
Lite On Combo Drive
Lite On DVD RW Drive
WD 160GB HD

Total: $890

I shopped for all the bargains I could find and was able to get a great deal on the mobo and CPU combo.

The thing is you wont have to do that. I just wanted to show you that you can easily get bargains out there and these setups will def. help you out.

One thing to note is that if you are thinking about getting a 7900GTX or 7950GX SLI setup, you might as well wait for the G80's since they will prob. beat these SLI setups.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

I thought the exact same thing.... :lol:
OMFG that $1000 is so out dated and such a rip off. i have a friend who had one lying around his house and couldn't sell it.
As for a pc.
CPU:x6800
RAM: Corsair 2gb
MOBO: ASUS P5NSLI
VGA: wait around 3-4weeks and get a GF 8800GTs/8800GTX
PSU a nice 800W power supply.
HDD 350GT SEAGATE.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Ok, i think i got the message after the 4th reply.
I'm so sorry i recommended a CPU that nobody likes except for me, everybody is so hung up on the "my dogs bigger than your dog" routine.
I don't care if one processor is faster than another if it does what it's supposed to do.
Were not even utilizing dual-core technology to it's full potential but now we can get a totally overkill quad-core nuclear powered fusion chip capable of computing the next prime number bigger than a million in less than 24 hours.........that's great, that's cool.......can the majority of us take full advantage of that kind of power, NO.
But it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside because it's the next big thing.
But only until next year when the multi-purpose dashboard douche bag with pearl handled pistol grips is released to the public.
Till we meet again,
Cya

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Its not that we are performance freaks, its that we want to give our money to the person/cpu that provides the BEST PERFORMANCE. There is a difference between performance freak and "a person who dislikes to waste their money".
Buying a processor for 1000$ when a better can be had for less is not a freak thing, it is a sensible thing.

Fanboys dont think like this, they are impractical. Thats why no one likes them. :roll:
-cm

ohlmsjm

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Well, I do want to thank everyone for the responses thus far.

Unfortunately I thought they would be more succint with each other but again I am faced with a majority of indecisions. ;)

I can tell you that I plan to go ahead and drop the cash for the 6800. I have made that decision and hopefully I can work down towards isolating which motherboard I want to use. I keep seeing boards like the Asus P5N32, Asus P5W, the Gigabyte DQ6, DS3, etc...but I can't seem to narrow it down. The THG guide for ultra-high end rig is nice, but I've read entirely too many reviews against the MSI board, as well as, OCZ memory so that made me a bit skeptical.

I guess to make things a bit easier, the next step is to decide if I want to go with SLI, Crossfire, or wait for the GF 8800GTs/8800GTX cards. I've done quite a bit of reading on the difference between Crossfire and SLI and just when I think I have found a clear winner for my needs, I read another review/description/etc that leads me in the other direction.

I love having choices, I just hate having to make them when I plan to drop quite a bit of cash on that decision.

Psimon

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
. . . .The THG guide for ultra-high end rig is nice, but I've read entirely too many reviews against the MSI board, as well as, OCZ memory so that made me a bit skeptical.

. . . . and just when I think I have found a clear winner for my needs, I read another review/description/etc that leads me in the other direction.

I love having choices, I just hate having to make them when I plan to drop quite a bit of cash on that decision.

Analysis Paralysis, I've been there :lol: . . . . and came to the exact same decision you made on the MSI board Tom's liked.

Good luck!

Psimon

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
Other then the processor and the Motherboard I just got today this is what I built one year ago this month.
Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFiAP Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor

hehe, what you listed is very close to I just] ordered this year!

What new mobo & processor you get?

ohlmsjm

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Patient, you must be.
-cm

Patient for the new technology which will be eclipsed by the next technology that will be eclipsed by the technology that follows it? lol

I have no problem waiting, I just want to make sure that waiting is the right thing to do. Looking at it from this perspective:

The worse thing that I can do right now is jump into a build that I will regret down the road. If I wait, prices are pretty much guaranteed to drop. :)

ohlmsjm

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Analysis Paralysis, I've been there :lol: . . . . and came to the exact same decision you made on the MSI board Tom's liked.

Good luck!

I hate Analysis Paralysis, it happens to me when I'm playing WoW and can't figure out which Alt-toon of the week I want to play.

but I've read entirely too many reviews against the MSI board, as well as, OCZ memory so that made me a bit skeptical.
Please share those review links with the rest of us.
If you're getting different information than we have... we really would like to know about it.

ohlmsjm

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
but I've read entirely too many reviews against the MSI board, as well as, OCZ memory so that made me a bit skeptical.
Please share those review links with the rest of us.
If you're getting different information than we have... we really would like to know about it.

I didn't bookmark the reviews that I read but I will certainly try and dig up what I can remember.

On a side note, I have been eyeing this board:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D975XBX2/index.htm

VR Zone did a review on the board:
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4111

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Your absolutely right and i definately wasn't thinking clearly at 2:45 in the morning when i replied to this question........
I don't think I'm a fanboy, at least my newest system doesn't portray that image.
I really was thinking "Woodcrest' over n over but P4/EE spilled from my fingers and onto the monitor, anyways you cats are still the best and I'm still learning, Cya

BTW, maybe one day i will indeed get wise and build a Intel rig, but I'm extremely happy with my X2/4200+, M2N32/SLI, 7900GTO........it does anything i ask of it on any game that's loaded with all the bells and whistles turned on.

Same story with the X1950 vs 7950GX2, ATI vs NVIDIA, Green vs Red, NVIDIA's card.................shut-up George

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Okay, you kids have had your fun, now for the big boy recommendations:

The motherboard that OCs the best: P5B Deluxe.
Most voltages: DQ6
The best on the X975 chipset and recommended for Crossfire: Abit AW9D-MAX

Mobos not worth getting: MSI 975X, P5W DH, any current Intel mobo, any current Nvidia chipset. (If youll argue about this be prepared to be pwnd.)
For SLI, you have no other choice but to wait for the 680i chipsets, RD600 is worth while too.

I would only recommed the X6800 if youre a hardcore OCer and want to reach those 5.5Ghz. Otherwise keep the E6700 because the difference in performance wont be worth it. How far and on wich processor do you want to OC???

Definetly youll wait for the 8800GTX, itld be a shame to spend on a dual card configuration right now. A SLI/Crossfire setup will totally depend on the resolution at wich you wish to play. Wich is???

Depending on how far you want to OC that should be your memory speed. So ill need you to pick a processor and define somewhat your goal for OCing. 2GB now (memory prices are surfing the sky right now) and another 2GB when youll upgrade to Vista so you wont spend on a 64bit OS right now.

Youve got enough to spare on a Raptor X for windows, apps like PS CS and games. Seagate 7200.10 for the rest of your storage.

For a PSU of this magnitude I recommend the Enermax Galaxy series or a PC Power&Cooling of <800W.

If you are going to get into sky high overclocking you will be much better served with a good water cooling kit than with air. But my knowledge i that filed is quiet limited. Depending on your overclock ill advise on excellent air setups tough.

Basically just decide wich CPU and how far you wanna OC so we can give the setup more consistency.
I hate to see this $3k builds going to waste, thats why I am going to take this one quiet personally.

TRENDING THREADS