nihonto

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I was just about to install my new processor, but I have a question before I can start. I was going to get some thermal paste to apply to my processor but when I opened the package to my processor I saw that the heatsink already had a square of grayish stuff on the bottom and it would fit exactly over my processor if I were to installed it.

The instructions didn't mention manually applying thermal paste to the processor and just showed installing the processor and the heatsink as is.

So am I good? Do I need to apply extra thermal paste in case or is this enough.. or is this even thermal paste? Just wanting to make sure because I don't want to fry my CPU :).

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
[/u]Absolutely "DO NOT" Mix Thermal Grease with Thermal Tape........
Place the cooler on top of the CPU and Tighten the strap.

nihonto

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Sorry, lol. I didn't mean should I mix it. I ment should I replace it, as in scrape off the thermal pad/tape and place some thermal paste/grease on instead.

So you mean I can install it now? Everything is good?

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
No, Thermal tape is actually better than Grease, that's why the CPU manufacturers use it.
If you were were changing CPU's every month then use Grease but don't scrape that tape just to put Grease on.........Good luck

Make sure you don't touch the pins and wipe off any oil from your fingertips if you touched the top of the CPU or the bottom of the cooler.

CyberianK

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I heard the Arctic Coolers have some Thermal Paste(MX-1) pre-applied which you should not remove cause they are actually the second best in the market (after liquid pro but that one is dangerous if not handled right and too much$).

So maybe tell us what kind of Heatsink you got. And if it was boxed with the CPU tell which CPU.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Granted, grease does offer a larger contact surface to transfer heat across but i don't feel it's SOP to remove the factory tape and slap some grease on there unless you have to pull it back apart or your a big OC'r and need every last ounce of thermal transfer efficiency.........IMHO

nihonto

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Well.. just replaced my CPU (heatsink was hard to install) and I'm currently running at temps of 27-32 degrees C which I think is fairly well. So I guess my installation went well and the stock paste w/e is good. Thanks for the help. :D