Sign in with
Your question

So you have Linux but no Apple/Mac/OS X forum??

Last response: in Forum Feedback
July 28, 2007 5:12:54 AM

Why?

OS X has an established market considerably larger than Linux and OS X is really based on Linux. But no dedicated forum?

Is this just another example of how much this place humps Microsoft's leg?

More about : linux apple mac forum

August 21, 2007 9:37:44 PM

Oh yes... including Linux and excluding MacOS clearly shows MS leg-humping. There are forums dedicated to MacOS that you'd find much more useful than anything you'd find here anyway.
August 24, 2007 1:15:01 AM

I'm not sure what the threshold for inclusion as a separate section in the forums, but it's based on the amount of topics and interest from the users. I suspect the forums team is focused on fixes, rather than on topics at this moment, but if there is enough interest, we will eventually have an apple section, humping or no humping.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b 5 Linux
April 8, 2008 10:54:37 AM

This topic has come up yet again in the Linux section recently. There are two schools of thought.

1. Mac OS / OSX should have its own section.
2. OSX is BSD based and therefore could live in the Linux/BSD section quite happily.

Personally I feel that an Apple section could be interesting. There is little or no cost in setting up an additional section here on the forum so why not? We still have a Win95 section and there have got to be more Mac owners that visit than 95 users nowadays. The Linux/BSD section is far more orientated to the OSS movement and to my mind avoiding the confusion with a dedicated section would be the best way to go.
April 11, 2008 1:58:29 PM

the reason there is NO OSX forum is simple.

this is toms 'hardware' guide. very little of the H/w will be applicable to a MAC, perhaps excluding the Pro MAC.

Mac are perhaps more of a disposable investment, in that when they are out of date there gone, not something you continuesly upgrade. the software/networking are just side supliments for the H/w forum.
a b 5 Linux
April 13, 2008 12:09:06 PM

So why do we have SW forums? What about laptop discussions? Consumer electronics? Apple have had more OS releases that Microsoft over the last few years, admittedly more incramental than MS, but still changes and updates.

Contrary to what a lot of people think you can upgrade HW on a Mac. Disk, ram, external displays, USB devices etc. Oh, and don't forget you can run Windows via boot camp. I have an EeePC thread going over in the Linux section at the moment. If we followed your logic that would also be invalid.
a b 5 Linux
April 16, 2008 11:23:07 PM

So would you be for or against an iForum here on Tom's?
April 30, 2008 1:45:39 PM

^^very much agains an iForum.
a b 5 Linux
April 30, 2008 4:11:14 PM

Why would you be against? I'm just curious as to why people are so down on the idea. I'm not a mac user myself so have no vested interest in the outcome.
a b 5 Linux
May 2, 2008 8:55:29 AM

You know it's those sort of threads that are the reason I made the move to the other and rarely pop my head down the HW sections. It's pathetic and badly informed BS of the worst kind. I think the issue is that those people don't actually do anything with their computers, they just like fancy flashing lights and extending their e-penis by posting synthetic benchmark scores.

I honestly wonder how many of those people have actually done commercial work with PC's. I wonder how many of them actually took the time to engage their solitary brain cell before telling me OS-X is Linux based. There are lots of things I don't like about Apple as a company but to ignore them as viable competition is just plain stupid.

It's telling to me that some of the best replies and support I see come from folks down in the Linux section. I think it's just a question of the people there having thought about the bigger picture and knowing how engaging with people can offer rewards in both directions.
a b 5 Linux
May 2, 2008 9:07:27 AM

I've posted my comments in that thread. Lets see what that creates in terms of debate.
!