Sign in with
Your question

SFF server to host vm's in the home. Help

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2006 7:19:31 AM

I am looking for a small form factor machine that I can run as a small headless server to host vm's on my home network for testing, development and studying. Ideally, it would have 4GB of RAM, dual sata drives (no raid required), gigabit networking and Dual core processor.

I looked at shuttle and mini-itx however, would prefer a one stop solution rather than building it manually. Any suggestions for this tsimple stripped down ype of would br appreciated.

Thanks,
J.

More about : sff server host home

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2006 3:07:28 PM

Quote:
4GB of RAM, dual sata drives
Thats a problem with a true SFF since the custom SFF motherboard only have 2 RAM slots and often only 1 HD position. You could sacrifice the DVD case slot for a 2nd HD maybe but SFFs usually don't have that option.

If you can handle a larger case you can get a slim mini tower from Dell with X2 3800+ 4GB RAM and all the rest you want for under $100. (plus a free upgrade to Win Vista when it comes out).

You could also get a "Lan Party" type case thats larger than a SFF but smaller than a mini tower from someplace like www.cyberpowerpc.com and have it configured to meet your price/performance requirements.
!