Spyware

Does anyone know what these are and how to remove them?
C:\ProgramC:\WINDOWS\system32\prvtect.exe ---This one can't be stopped - it
keeps restarting - 2 instances are running.

C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe ---The system wants me to close the
application, but I don't see it running.
4 answers Last reply
More about spyware

    Eliminate any scumware.
    CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
    download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
    your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
    enable you to regain your connection.

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Steppenwolf" <aspenbus"@"bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know what these are and how to remove them?
    > C:\ProgramC:\WINDOWS\system32\prvtect.exe ---This one can't be stopped -
    > it keeps restarting - 2 instances are running.
    >
    > C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe ---The system wants me to close
    > the application, but I don't see it running.

    Here's what I should have said in my initial post:
    I have been running the following prior to the problem I wrote in about:
    XP Pro SP2
    Linksys Router/firewall
    AVG - latest updates
    Ad-aware - latest
    Winpatrol - latest
    Spybot Search & Destroy - latest
    Spyware Guard - latest

    Winpatrol notified me that the following programs were trying to be added to
    my Startup:

    C:\ProgramC:\WINDOWS\system32\prvtect.exe
    C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe

    I followed all suggestions, including Safe mode without (complete) success;
    Bazooka still reports SurfSidekick as present. I have it disabled, using
    Winpatrol.

    I was able to delete prvtect.exe, but ssk.exe kept trying to get in, until I
    disabled it. Tried to use regedit to delete, but the value comes back and is
    present every time I look for it . Using Search/All files and folders
    locates no instances of ssk.exe on my hard drive.

    Any ideas?

    P.S., thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.

    I have used many many adware detection software packages and have found the
    one that works best for me is spyware doctor. it found over 100 spyware
    entries on my system even after i ran pest patrol, adaware, SpyBot, Yahoo
    Anti Spyware and Bazooka...... I have been running it on my system in auto
    protect mode for about 20 days now and have not had 1 single infection
    installed on my system. I have even tried the other spyware detectors again
    to see if spyware doctor has missed anything and have not found anything.

    Robert...

    Robert Jacobs wrote:
    > I have used many many adware detection software packages and have
    > found the one that works best for me is spyware doctor. it found over
    > 100 spyware entries on my system even after i ran pest patrol,
    > adaware, SpyBot, Yahoo Anti Spyware and Bazooka...... I have been
    > running it on my system in auto protect mode for about 20 days now
    > and have not had 1 single infection installed on my system. I have
    > even tried the other spyware detectors again to see if spyware doctor
    > has missed anything and have not found anything.

    Although I have not tried Spyware Doctor - it does not appear in any rogue
    antispyware lists I know of. I would suggest, however, that in the future
    when you recommend a solution, you follow through. =)

    Spyware Doctor™ 3.1 for Windows
    http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

    --
    <- Shenan ->