Sign in with
Your question

ac vs dc

Last response: in Components
October 26, 2006 10:49:22 AM

can anyone give me a better understanding of which power supply is best, ac or dc. I am looking to upgrade my power supply which is currently dc, but all the better psu's are ac. Thanks

More about : question

October 26, 2006 11:42:30 AM

All powers supplies are both AC and DC as they convert AC power input to DC ouput. Check out this article from How Stuff Works.

Quote:
Power supplies, often referred to as "switching power supplies", use switcher technology to convert the AC input to lower DC voltages. The typical voltages supplied are:

3.3 volts
5 volts
12 volts

The 3.3- and 5-volts are typically used by digital circuits, while the 12-volt is used to run motors in disk drives and fans. The main specification of a power supply is in watts. A watt is the product of the voltage in volts and the current in amperes or amps. If you have been around PCs for many years, you probably remember that the original PCs had large red toggle switches that had a good bit of heft to them. When you turned the PC on or off, you knew you were doing it. These switches actually controlled the flow of 120 volt power to the power supply.

Good luck!
October 27, 2006 1:36:29 AM

that helps tremendously, thank you. Just to make sure I understand, even though the power supply of my pc is listed as dc, it likely (since it plugs into a home outlet which is ac electricity) is an ac power supply converting the ac power to dc for use by my computer. So when I buy a new power supply, even if its listed as an ac power supply, it will take the ac power and make it usuable by my pc.
Related resources
October 27, 2006 2:06:10 AM

That is correct...

not being sure of the wattage or components in your machines, a decent psu can range anywhere from $40 up to $500 (no kidding, really, $500!)...it seems that a 500watt psu is the average nowadays...names to look for that offer a good, reliable psu at a reasonable price are; Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone, and FSP (Fortron) Group...you should be abel to pick up a +/- 500W from any one of these makers for between $60-$110...like this one!...best thing to do is shop around and read some reviews, then buy the best psu you can afford...good luck!
October 27, 2006 3:19:59 AM

everything i needed to know, thank you very much. I really do appreciate your help.
!