Some simple wireless questions

Archived from groups: (More info?)

1. Should "ssid" be the same name as one's hardwired LAN workgroup name to
be able to
interface with that network [connected to a combo ethernet/wireless router].
[never have been clear on this point]

2. to utilize WEP "a passphrase" or "a wep key in hexadecimal format" needs
to be entered. For some
reason my brain has no picture of what this means. A passphrase, like
'Simon Says"? A wep key in
hexadecimal format...I'm afraid I've forgotten what little I knew of morse
code and hexadecimal format. Can
anyone 'color' a picture for me using crayons? Would AAAA be a good wep
key? How about AAAAAAAA?
2 answers Last reply
More about some simple wireless questions
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > 1. Should "ssid" be the same name as one's hardwired LAN workgroup name to
    > be able to interface with that network [connected to a combo
    ethernet/wireless router].
    > [never have been clear on this point]

    No, they need not be the same. SSID is recommended to be something very hard
    to guess.

    > 2. to utilize WEP "a passphrase" or "a wep key in hexadecimal format"
    needs
    > to be entered. For some
    > reason my brain has no picture of what this means. A passphrase, like
    > 'Simon Says"? A wep key in
    > hexadecimal format...I'm afraid I've forgotten what little I knew of morse
    > code and hexadecimal format. Can
    > anyone 'color' a picture for me using crayons? Would AAAA be a good wep
    > key? How about AAAAAAAA?

    If you are talking about static WEP, use 26 hexadecimanl characters to
    create it. For example, 12b34e09f81c27eeb2daa23456
    So basically it contains numbers from 0 to 9 and alphabets a,b,c,d,e,f
    26 hexadecimal characters gives you 104 bit length WEP key, add 24 bits of
    IV to it which is automatically performed, you have a 128 bit length WEP
    key.

    HTH
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "Kalyan Sannedhi" <nospam@spamstopper.com> wrote in message
    > "tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > 1. Should "ssid" be the same name as one's hardwired LAN workgroup name
    > > be able to interface with that network [connected to a combo
    > ethernet/wireless router].
    > > [never have been clear on this point]
    >
    > No, they need not be the same. SSID is recommended to be something very
    hard
    > to guess.

    SSID is just the name of your network. Nothing to do with Lan workgroup, and
    it is not used for security. It really doesn't matter at all what you call
    your network, but you should change it from the default if for no other
    reason than to avoid broadcasting the same network name as your neighbor who
    also forgot to change from the default. Some routers have a "disable SSID
    broadcast" feature, which if selected will cause the router not to announce
    the network name, as it normally does every few seconds. This is an attempt
    to secure your network by hiding it. The theory is that if the router
    doesn't announce the name, strangers with hacking gear won't know it's
    there. In practice, the minute you use your net, any stranger with hacking
    gear knows your net is there, and can figure out your SSID. Doesn't hurt the
    average use to enable this feature, but you shouldn't think it really
    provides any security.

    > > 2. to utilize WEP "a passphrase" or "a wep key in hexadecimal format"
    > needs
    > > to be entered. For some
    > > reason my brain has no picture of what this means. A passphrase, like
    > > 'Simon Says"? A wep key in
    > > hexadecimal format...I'm afraid I've forgotten what little I knew of
    morse
    > > code and hexadecimal format. Can
    > > anyone 'color' a picture for me using crayons? Would AAAA be a good wep
    > > key? How about AAAAAAAA?
    >
    > If you are talking about static WEP, use 26 hexadecimanl characters to
    > create it. For example, 12b34e09f81c27eeb2daa23456
    > So basically it contains numbers from 0 to 9 and alphabets a,b,c,d,e,f
    > 26 hexadecimal characters gives you 104 bit length WEP key, add 24 bits of
    > IV to it which is automatically performed, you have a 128 bit length WEP
    > key.

    "Passphrase" is a string of bytes to which the system adds 3 bytes it
    generates, to make a WEP key. The string of bytes can usually be specified
    either as a string of text characters (each character's ASCII representation
    is used as a byte value), or as a string of hexadecimal byte values. The
    length of the passphrase is determined by the length of the key, which is
    usually configurable. The usual options are:

    40 bit (this is the same as 64 bit) - uses a 5-character ASCII (10-character
    hex) key
    128 bit (uses 13-character ASCII (26-character hex) key
    152 bit (uses 16-character ASCII (32-character hex) key

    > HTH

Wireless WEP Format Wireless Networking