Problems with new MSI 975X Powerup Edition setup

P_A_T

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Hey people, hope you can help me out with this.

I just installed an MSI 975X Powerup Ed. MOBO with OCZ 800MHz memory (4-4-4-15 latency) using an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU (2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB).

I've got the following issues:

1. MEMORY: Reported at 667MHz and not 800MHz
I tried setting the multiplier to 1.5 (which gives 800MHz) but the system won't boot after -- I do have the power set to 1.9v

2. CPU: FSB Reported at 266MHz (266x9)
I thought the FSB is 1066MHz or is 266x9 correct?

3. CD-ROM: System jitters when reading a CD and moving mouse
If I'm installing an app via a CD and use the system it seems to jitter a little (mouse). This never happened on old systems I've used and I'm wondering if there's a solution.

The latest BIOS is installed from MSI, although have I read about a BETA BIOS but before I try it I'd like to get some feedback from the group.

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps! ;)

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
1. MEMORY: Reported at 667MHz and not 800MHz
I tried setting the multiplier to 1.5 (which gives 800MHz) but the system won't boot after -- I do have the power set to 1.9v

2. CPU: FSB Reported at 266MHz (266x9)
I thought the FSB is 1066MHz or is 266x9 correct?

3. CD-ROM: System jitters when reading a CD and moving mouse
If I'm installing an app via a CD and use the system it seems to jitter a little (mouse). This never happened on old systems I've used and I'm wondering if there's a solution.

1. Bad luck, i guess. Some boards and chipsets just loathe each other. Did you check if the Board does support your memory at mentioned speeds before you bought it?

2. Yes, that´s correct. Intel uses a quad pumped architecture and 4x266 are, magically, 1066. :wink:

3. You should check if the Drive is running in PIO-mode instead of U-dma. Check your IDE-controller in the device mananger.

P_A_T

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
1. Bad luck, i guess. Some boards and chipsets just loathe each other. Did you check if the Board does support your memory at mentioned speeds before you bought it?

2. Yes, that´s correct. Intel uses a quad pumped architecture and 4x266 are, magically, 1066. :wink:

3. You should check if the Drive is running in PIO-mode instead of U-dma. Check your IDE-controller in the device mananger.

Thanks for the reply!

So, for the memory issues, reported at 667MHz instead of 800MHz (the MOBO supports 800MHz), I've managed to resolve this by updating to the BETA BIOS -- which others may download from here: http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=99818.0

As for #2, the CPU reporting 266MHz (FSB), good to know that's correct ;)

And now all that's left is number 3, the jittery system/mouse when accessing a CD. I'm going to check my BIOS settings and post my results.

And now all that's left is number 3, the jittery system/mouse when accessing a CD. I'm going to check my BIOS settings and post my results.

If you connected the CD drive to the JMicron JMB361 controlled IDE port, then you may need to install the JMicron driver for UDMA mode. The driver is somewhere in the Utility CD that comes with the mobo.

tydalwave

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Hello,
I'm having the same problems with my MSI 795x power up edition. OCZ DDR 2 800 is showing 667 in bios. Also, i have a problem with installing windows, i use <CTRL + I> to get into the Intel ROM setup and ... let me fill ya in on my specs ...

MSI 975X Platinum Power Up edition
Core 2 Duo 6300
1Gig ( 2x512mb ) OCZ Gold DDR2 800
2 identical SATA 37Gig WD raptor HD's ( not SATAII , just normal SATA )
MSI NX7900GT

ok so i finnaly read enough into the manual to figure out that i dont want the two SATA hard drives to run with JMicron raid drivers ( since JMicron only uses the SATA #5 connector ) I use the set up it shows 68.9 gigs, i half the value so i get 2 volumes to show, save and exit...

(edit ) In the manual it says use the IDE\\Intel\Floppy\ICH7?? and copy to a floppy disk... well i dont see the exact ICH7?? one and the one showing ( which i believe is ICH7D ) doesnt let me copy the whole thing to disk.. so i used the ICH8D ones and they load, but im not sure if they are going to work...

next i reboot and in the bios i "auto detect" the hard drives which show in the 3rd master and 3rd slave slots... i boot from CD ( windows xp home ) and start my set up.. when i get to the <S for additional device> i load the ICH8D drivers from my diskette and continue.. when i get past all the loading it says ( .... Hard disks not detected, make sure etc. etc. etc. )

I'm at a loss... any info, links etc would be GREATLY appreciated...my wife is getting a lil mad that im spending quite a bit of my little time in my office fooling with this.. Thanks in advance

Hello,
I'm having the same problems with my MSI 795x power up edition. OCZ DDR 2 800 is showing 667 in bios. Also, i have a problem with installing windows, i use <CTRL + I> to get into the Intel ROM setup and ... let me fill ya in on my specs ...

Regarding the RAM, I already address that issue in the thread that you posted in the CPU section. The BIOS simply identifies it wrong that's all. Manually change the FSB from 333MHz to 400MHz and you'll be fine.

I can't help you with the SATA drives though since I'm still using my old IDE drives. You might want to go to the official MSI forum.