Banners on msome pages

December 9, 2004 5:40:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Just installed xp pro on a second machine of mine and when I go to the net
say wanadoo.co.uk or other pages some of the banners are missing with just a
blue cross saying cannot display page.

I go to my other xp machine to check and the banners appear no problem. I
am on the network and I have set all the settings the same as my main
computer incase of another problem but it still the same.

Do I need extra software to be installed. I am fully up to date with the
windows update and running SP2 why is this happening

dave

More about : banners msome pages

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 5:40:45 AM

Dragon wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just installed xp pro on a second machine of mine and when I go to
> the net say wanadoo.co.uk or other pages some of the banners are
> missing with just a blue cross saying cannot display page.
>
> I go to my other xp machine to check and the banners appear no
> problem. I am on the network and I have set all the settings the
> same as my main computer incase of another problem but it still the
> same.
>
> Do I need extra software to be installed. I am fully up to date with
> the windows update and running SP2 why is this happening
>
> dave

Got a hosts file configured to stop banner ads?
December 9, 2004 4:19:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Dragon wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Just installed xp pro on a second machine of mine and when I go to
>> the net say wanadoo.co.uk or other pages some of the banners are
>> missing with just a blue cross saying cannot display page.
>>
>> I go to my other xp machine to check and the banners appear no
>> problem. I am on the network and I have set all the settings the
>> same as my main computer incase of another problem but it still the
>> same.
>>
>> Do I need extra software to be installed. I am fully up to date with
>> the windows update and running SP2 why is this happening
>>
>> dave
>
> Got a hosts file configured to stop banner ads?

what is that

dave
December 9, 2004 4:19:15 PM

"Dragon" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%23lG2MDa3EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Dragon wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Just installed xp pro on a second machine of mine and when I go to
>>> the net say wanadoo.co.uk or other pages some of the banners are
>>> missing with just a blue cross saying cannot display page.
>>>
>>> dave
>>
>> Got a hosts file configured to stop banner ads?
>>
> what is that
>
> dave

Go to C:\Windows\drivers\etc and open HOSTS with Notepad. Post its contents
in a reply.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Dragon wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%23lG2MDa3EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Dragon wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Just installed xp pro on a second machine of mine and when I go to
>>> the net say wanadoo.co.uk or other pages some of the banners are
>>> missing with just a blue cross saying cannot display page.
>>>
>>> I go to my other xp machine to check and the banners appear no
>>> problem. I am on the network and I have set all the settings the
>>> same as my main computer incase of another problem but it still the
>>> same.
>>>
>>> Do I need extra software to be installed. I am fully up to date with
>>> the windows update and running SP2 why is this happening
>>>
>>> dave
>>
>> Got a hosts file configured to stop banner ads?
>>
> what is that
>
> dave

This might help explain it:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Some anti-spyware apps modify your host file too.