sempron 64 bit or p4 d805?

cd_rom

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I plan to do upgrade my comp this weekend and i got on around 200 quids to spend on a cpu, a motherboard and few sticks of ram. Originally, i plan to buy amd sempron 64 bit 3000 socket 754 cost 65 quid from pcworld as i can't buy stuff online yet as I'm still a student :oops: and that goes with a NFORCE 3A AMD Motherboard. But after reading the article on overclocking p4 d805 to 4.1, well i just like to overclock it to 3.5 or 3.6 and it's also dual core so that make me change my mind a little and it costs 79 quid!

So any suggestions would be appreciated!
Oh, my first post here. Greeting to you guys.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
the riser board (for the asrock PCI-e/agp board) from what ive heard is fairly expensive, so if you wanted to go with am2, the least expensive route would just be to purchase an am2 cpu/motherboard/ddr2 memory instead

also, as far as the 805 dual core... i would suggest going for that, for several reasons...

1) its dual core, so you immediately have a boost in performance/responsiveness/productivity right away, compared to a single core solution. not to mention the boost from apps that can take direct advantage of a dual core cpu

2) its inexpensive like you were saying.

3) you did say you were only OCing as high as 3.6, so the requirement for an aftermarket cooler isnt quite as high... couldnt hurt either way though (such as being able to keep noise levels down), but its not a necessity then as far as temperatures are concerned, i wouldnt think anyhow.

oh, and welcome to toms hardware :)

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Go with the D805, with the stock cooler you can hit 3.3-3.6 depending on ambient and your case air flow. You can find a cheap LGA775 board and 1GB of DDR2 memory and be good to go! Any more questions just ask back on the forums.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I plan to do upgrade my comp this weekend and i got on around 200 quids to spend on a cpu, a motherboard and few sticks of ram. Originally, i plan to buy amd sempron 64 bit 3000 socket 754 cost 65 quid from pcworld as i can't buy stuff online yet as I'm still a student :oops: and that goes with a NFORCE 3A AMD Motherboard. But after reading the article on overclocking p4 d805 to 4.1, well i just like to overclock it to 3.5 or 3.6 and it's also dual core so that make me change my mind a little and it costs 79 quid!

So any suggestions would be appreciated!
Oh, my first post here. Greeting to you guys.
PD805 smashes the Sempron 3000+ in multitasking and multithreading but in single threaded apps the 3000+ gets the upper hand. Don't forget you're calculating the Sempron as retail and the 805 as OEM because the Semprom 3000+ OEM may be below $50 and with another %50 you get the board leaving ~$100 for 1G of RAM while the 805 with a more expensive board will drain your RAM budget.
Core2 is the champ now but with your budget, I'd get an AM2 Sempron system with healthy 1G RAM and after say six months upgrade to an Athlon X2. C2D is great but X2s hold their own and you will get something clearly superior to a 805 with still an open upgrade path.

dubplatepressure

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I was able to stably o/c to 3.6 with stock fan, but not stable on heavy load.

3.3ghz with stock fan is what I have now, and it's more or less stable, although it heats up fairly fast when under heavy load. I'd still recommend the 805 D, though. Price/performance, for the small amount you pay, you get a hell of a lot of bang, and you can always upgrade the fan & hs at a later date.

Cheers

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Go with the D805, with the stock cooler you can hit 3.3-3.6 depending on ambient and your case air flow. You can find a cheap LGA775 board and 1GB of DDR2 memory and be good to go! Any more questions just ask back on the forums.

I dont understand. Why a 805 or a sempron64 3000+? The 3600+ is the same price as the 805.
Regardless, the 805 will beat up the sempron simply cause its dual core and have a longer lifespan, application and game-wise. Use the stock fan and go for a small overclock.
The only reason would be because a Sempron/AM2 mombo is cheaper than a 805/775 mombo allowing you to buy more RAM (tha budget was $200). Especially if the LGA 775 board is not Core2 friendly, upgrading gets limited while AM2 has still a lot to show.

cd_rom

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks alot for your replies, i feel like it's a very warm welcome from tom hardware :). I read the thread few time try to make some sense out before i reply and i have to agree with m25. I wanted an amd sempron because it's cheaper with a motherboard so it leaves me plenty of money to go for rams but like others said d805 is a open door, the downside is i will spend more money on motherboard and leaves a little money to go rams. And i won't spend more money on upgrade computer for next few years as it will go to my university fee 8O :( .

Ah, i don't have a credit card at a moment so answer some of you guys question but i did a look up and some online sellers have postal orders but it takes much longer 7-10 days in amazon.co.uk case but i think i will give it a go at some point.

So i decided to go for a P4 D805 and concenstrate money on a good motherboard but not too much so i can still buy some rams :D.
Thanks again!

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Whatever you get, concentrate on what you need when you're on a tight budget. For example, If I was to work on 2D/3D graphics, I'd get a dirt cheap CPU and motherboard and spare money for a lot of RAM because it's the forst thing you run out of working like that, For a gaming system concentrate on a good video card then get the rest with the money left etc.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah like the last post said. Get what you can afford that will do what you need it to.
I gotta tell you my Sempron64 3600+ overclocks to 2.41ghz and plays all our games without a hickup. So dont go overboard, get what you can afford and buy lots of ram. Just remember if you go AM2, I highly recommend DDR2-800 Cas4 or lower. You wont take advantage of its benefits now, but later when you drop in a X2 or a quad core you will be glad you have it. Also there are some good cheap mobos out there for AM2. I have the MSI K9Nneo 550Nforce5, it goes for less than $80.

Isn't that super expensive?

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Are you UK, I assume you are using words like 'quid'...

Have you purchased it yet... If not I would highly recommend you look into getting a Celeron D 356 CPU, unlike the superheated PD805, it will clock up to 4.5GHz+ with just the stock cooling, it has 256k cache, so performs well (THIS IS NOT LIKE CELERONS OF OLD) and what is more, it will leave you enough cash to get a good LGA775 motherboard so you can upgrade at some time in the future to C2D or C2quad.

In single threaded adds (aka games) the Celeron D 356 is much faster then the 805...

cd_rom

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah, im in uk pal. Thanks for the info, i just have breakfast and prepare to go out. I am now thinking of AM2 Athlon 64 3500+ and an AM2 motherboard. I have to go to pcworld cause i can't shop online (damn!). And there is no decent LGS 775 board in pcworld, well there is one but it cost like 100 quids.

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
hmm I if it is really on budget.. I say go for the sempron 64 bit.. I really think systems now need a decent 1 gig of memory more than anything else..sempron is fast enough for current applications..it probably wont let you down..you can even use it on the latest games(given a decent cheap geforce 7 card or even a 6100 integrated)

it is because, in my own point of view basing on the prices here in our country,getting a PD 805 setup(board,processor,RAM)will cost 100$ more

given that 100$ savings you can spend it on a 7300gs 256mb/128bit upgrade if you want to

but PD 805 the one at 2.6 clock is quite cheap and a bang for the buck already considering that it is a dual cored processor. Definetly it will work better than the sempron64 most especially in multi-tasking..but remember you also need good RAM in multitasking

but 1 gig/ Sempron 3000+ and Quad Core ready board(for the future) is a decent rig for a student like you and me

the problem with cheap LGA boards is that they are not Core 2 ready unlike the cheap AM2 counterparts in which they can be installed with any AM2 processors today

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Are you UK, I assume you are using words like 'quid'...

Have you purchased it yet... If not I would highly recommend you look into getting a Celeron D 356 CPU, unlike the superheated PD805, it will clock up to 4.5GHz+ with just the stock cooling, it has 256k cache, so performs well (THIS IS NOT LIKE CELERONS OF OLD) and what is more, it will leave you enough cash to get a good LGA775 motherboard so you can upgrade at some time in the future to C2D or C2quad.

In single threaded adds (aka games) the Celeron D 356 is much faster then the 805...
Yes, but it will perform like the crappiest CPU you can get and apart from running SuperPi blazing fast it's a not so good gamer and a TERRIBLE multitasker, so just don't name it.
Prescott and Cedar Mill cores are the worst ones on this world and even pushing one to 4.5G won't prevent it's pipeline from chrashing tremendously often. Without HT (the case of the celeron), these cores are very bad performers and the slightest multitasking puts them in terrible shame. Everybody who loves the CeleronDs, please, go try a Pentium 519 on virus checking then try to play a video, then think that the celeron D is even worse!

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Can someone tell me if the celerons this days are good already.. well I got a bad experience with them when they were still on socket 478 version..

well to the person who asked if celeron is good.. well based on my previous experiences I'd say go sempron!! hehehe :D

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Have you considered buying used? Being a student, I would think that you could find someone looking to upgrade that might make you a pretty good deal on a decent system that would fit your limited budget. Used computers don't hold their value very well and it's possible to find some good bargains, if you look hard enough.

Having cash is a powerful bargaining chip, when dealing with another student, and when you buy used, it's a tax free transaction.

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Yeah its a good idea. I got my current PC through bargain also.. although I modified this one a little already

But it can be quite a hassle..

I mean you could build a rig more or less 300$ with Sempron or A64 with everything brand new including casing..and its pretty exciting to build a computer on your own hehehe

Plus its 64 bit so its vista ready..you probably get some bargains today but with the old p4 or Socket A amds.