Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
How do I tell from the Windows screen if my jumpers are set correctly on my DFI Ultra-D and my video card is in a slot set to 16x? When I look in Sandra 2007, am I looking at the specs of the card itself or the settings set by the motherboard?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
This is from DFI-Street:

Confused about Dual 16X PC Slots?

Regarding the DFI NF4 PCI-e slots

With the jumpers in the standard position.. The top slot is 16x and the bottom slot is 2x..

With the jumpers in the SLI position .. BOTH slots are 8x..

If you intend to use the bottom slot then you would want to move the "jumpers" to the SLI position and use BOTH at 8x.
(Expert/Venus board do NOT use the jumpers, the settings are in the Bios)

There is NO WAY to get the bottom slot OR both slots to work at 16x..

There is no difference in performance when using a 16x slot to a 8x slot..
Nothing available now even comes close to saturate the 8x slots bandwidth not to mention the 16x slot..

Benchmarks show less than 1-3% difference between the two slots.

Quote:
wait a sec why does the manual and NewEgg say it has 2 x 16 slots?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...157#DetailSpecs

No, the manual is not wrong. There are two different specs involved. One is the physical size of the slot. Both slots are physical X16 slots.

The confusion comes about when you start talking about the speed of the slot.

In the normal configuration the top slot is setup for X16 speed and the bottom slot for X2.

When you move the SLI jumpers, it reconfigures both slots to X8 speed.

Outside of the very newest, most video cards seem to utilize about X6 speed from the PCIe slot, so running your card in a X8 configuration will not slow it down at all.

Thanks to and confirmation by THunDA, ExRoadie, and Angry_Games (DFI-street Mods) hope this helps and makes it clear to everyone.

16x-8x-2x Slot speed tests by Technodanvan

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/show...2&postcount=28

TRENDING THREADS