Computer shuts down at random... Mobo problem maybe?

silveradohd39

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I have a Asus p5ad2- premium with a 3.0ghz ht. Ever since I have built it up it will shut down after about 10 min of gaming. If just browsing the net it will shut down about 30 min into it. I dont think its overheating because all the heat sinks and fans are working properly and are secured well to the contact surfaces. I checked power supply and ram and that all seems to be good also. Any ideas of things I should check?
Thanks guys
Thomas

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
If you have checked all the heatsink and fans are working properly, have you checked the processor temperature ?

Have you checked your power supply ? the beginning of the death of power supply can be like this event.

Or maybe because the power supply is overheating.

silveradohd39

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Yeah processor temp seems to be fine. But I will hook up a new power supply and see what that does. The wierd thing is that alot of time the screen goes blank, and the comp continues to run with the fans and all power. So maybe the power supply isnt giving enough power?
Thanks guys

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
I agree with slicesoul it sounds like the PSU to me too, make sure you get a real quality PSU, something with some balls, i like Antec they have always been good to me, ive got a 430w true power that is 2 years old and it still powers anything i throw at it including the BFG 7800GS-OC that is in that rig, that particular card requires 20A on the 12v rail, I havent checked to see if that PSU is even rated at 20A but if its that old and they saw far enough into the future to predict power usage like that they have my support for like...forever.

heheh had ya going thinking i was a noob didnt i, naw but seriously, get an Antec they wtfpwn. When it comes to your PSU there is no such thing as too much, your PSU is arguably the most important piece of hardware in your computer. it can mean the difference between rock solid stability and quirky crazy shiz happening with your rig.

True power ftw!
Im in a good mood today, can ya tell? -=P

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Yeah processor temp seems to be fine. But I will hook up a new power supply and see what that does. The wierd thing is that alot of time the screen goes blank, and the comp continues to run with the fans and all power. So maybe the power supply isnt giving enough power?
Thanks guys

What exactly is your processor temps? Also, this sounds more like a video card issue so what are your gpu temps?

PSU could be the issue but please list all your components (this should have been supplied in the first post).