Networks and Routers

Unidentified

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Hi all, i was just wondering wether you can see on a network through the router, like you can on a network through a hub. Is a router just for sharing you internet connection?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
the "routers" they sell to the consumer these days are actualy router with built-in hubs (actually switches). So the answer to your question is yes.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Nope. A hub is a Layer 1 device and all traffic is shared and collisions can occur. Hence the term collision domain. A switch is layer 2 and all broadcasts are shared (broadcast domain), but host to host communication is not (which enables full duplex). A router is layer 3 and does not forward broadcasts.
As for whether you can "see on a network", that depends. A router forwards traffic between separate networks and thus one network can "see" the other. However, if "see" means "can I sniff the network" the answer is no (if you had to ask).

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

TomaHawK

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
oh no! he knoweth the OSI Reference Model >:) cool! this was not meant sarcastic at all.

<A HREF="http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci523729,00.html" target="_new"> OSI Reference Model </A>

Beat the heat with the USB-Powered Fan :wink:

TRENDING THREADS