How to relaunch the Explorer Shell?

For some reason explorer has crashed. This crash took down not only all the
open Windows Explorer windows, but also the Shell. When I try to relaunch
Explorer.exe (in the hopes of getting my shell back) all that opens is
Windows Explorer, not the shell.

How do I get the shell back?

Thanks for you help, drinks all around!!
3 answers Last reply
More about relaunch explorer shell

    Hi,

    Explorer.exe is all you should need to launch to restart the shell. What are
    you seeing?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Blaumann" <blmn@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > For some reason explorer has crashed. This crash took down not only all
    > the open Windows Explorer windows, but also the Shell. When I try to
    > relaunch Explorer.exe (in the hopes of getting my shell back) all that
    > opens is Windows Explorer, not the shell.
    >
    > How do I get the shell back?
    >
    > Thanks for you help, drinks all around!!

    If explorer.exe crashed enough not to work, but enough to read it's messages (multi threaded) then it will still be in memory and typing explorer will not start the shell. Terminate explorer processes before restarting the shell/

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:elbhW4d3EHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Explorer.exe is all you should need to launch to restart the shell. What are
    > you seeing?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Blaumann" <blmn@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> For some reason explorer has crashed. This crash took down not only all
    >> the open Windows Explorer windows, but also the Shell. When I try to
    >> relaunch Explorer.exe (in the hopes of getting my shell back) all that
    >> opens is Windows Explorer, not the shell.
    >>
    >> How do I get the shell back?
    >>
    >> Thanks for you help, drinks all around!!

    Yup. that worked. Once I killed explorer.exe from task manager, and
    relaunched explorer, the shell reappeared.

    Thanks! I owe you a drink.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message

    If explorer.exe crashed enough not to work, but enough to read it's messages
    (multi threaded) then it will still be in memory and typing explorer will
    not start the shell. Terminate explorer processes before restarting the
    shell/

    http://www.uscricket.com
    > Hi,
    >
    > Explorer.exe is all you should need to launch to restart the shell. What
    > are
    > you seeing?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Blaumann" <blmn@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> For some reason explorer has crashed. This crash took down not only all
    >> the open Windows Explorer windows, but also the Shell. When I try to
    >> relaunch Explorer.exe (in the hopes of getting my shell back) all that
    >> opens is Windows Explorer, not the shell.
    >>
    >> How do I get the shell back?
    >>
    >> Thanks for you help, drinks all around!!

Windows Explorer Shell Explorer Windows XP