Ok, I admit I'm a n00b, is my new CPU going to be OK?

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
So last night I am building new computer and I go to take my shiny new X2 4600+ out of its plastic container wearing my static-resistant gloves of course and I accidentaly bobble the CPU...I catch it in midair and one corner of the pin-side catches the side of my arm slightly bending the pin. After a few attempts at gently straightening the pin with my fingernail and trying it in the socket it goes in. I can boot the machine into the bios, it seems like it is ok.

My question is, will having bent the pin affect the long term stability or performance of my CPU? I wouldn't return it since it was my fault but I guess I'm just looking for a little peace of mind. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks. :?

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
if it works it works. its not like your cpu jiggles around and the pin could lose contact some how. next time try using a mechanical pencil to fix then pin. just take the led out and use the tip of the pen to straighten the pin.

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I appreciate the respnoses, hopefully the CPU won't give me any problems in the future.

Mondoman -the gloves are anti-static gloves for working on electronics, they are great for working on computers due to the fact that they protect components from esd and you don't have to worry as much about touching exposed circuits on your motherboard, videocard etc. I haven't fried anything yet with them, clumsy bobbling is a different story though. :p

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
anti-static gloves: Here

IRT OP

It should be fine, aslong as you don't do any offroading with your computer. There is so little movement in a pc case that the chances of something breaking off is 1,000,000:1

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Man, looks like using the PC as an MP3 server in my Jeep is out of the question now! :D

I guess I am more worried about the pin having microscopic fractures or something along those lines that would cause the electrons to travel less effieciently, I think that is just me being paranoid more than anything.

I'm just going to have to wait and see, if it acts funny in the future it will just give me a good excuse to upgrade to the new quad cores that are coming out.