Here we go again

February 10, 2005 8:18:09 AM

Hi all,

Grr...here we go again. I have a 2215 that did another spontaneous
reset yesterday. The first time I thought it was because the batt door
had gotten joggled loose, or static, or pressure from the case it was
in, something like that. So I got different cases, made sure door and
all were closed and tight, etc. Didn't happen again until yesterday.
I can't figure out what happened. I had it in the charger all night;
got up in the morning, put it in it's "field" case (a belkin gladiator
II)(metal, but plastic inside so no static issues), and put it in my
backpack. Put backpack in truck, where it rode in the seat beside me
all day. It didn't get bumped, jostled, or anything, didn't even take
it out of the pack until I returned to my office. When I got back to
the office, VOILA, there was the screen setup, and all was gone.

I had backed it up, and got it reset. But I am really losing my faith
in the unit. My office was considering getting several, but not now.
We can't risk our data on something flaky. And we don't have time to
do a backup everytime we make a change, touch the unit, or breathe
fast. Don't think software could be the issue (software can't do hard
resets, I don't think?), and the only newish software on it was the
eXPerience demo.

I got home, and per my past conversations with HP support, I flashed
the memory with a clean copy of the ROM, so we'll see what happens.

I just wish SOMEBODY understood what is going on with these things.
I'm really starting to regret getting it. I should've stuck with my
Franklin Planner instead of blowing 500.00...at least I never had
information just go poof...

More about : question

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:52:40 PM

Mine reset without launching anything new. When I used to use Palms,
they would soft reset occasionally with bad software when launching,
but that's not the case here. I'm guessing it's not software
related...

Wonder if it might be related to the cradle?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:21:16 PM

Geocritter wrote:
[...]
> I just wish SOMEBODY understood what is going on with these things.
> I'm really starting to regret getting it. I should've stuck with my
> Franklin Planner instead of blowing 500.00...at least I never had
> information just go poof...

Sounds to me like you simply have a faulty device, a fully working machine
should not spontaneously reset itself under any reasonable conditions, end
of story. These are mass-produced consumer devices, it's understandable that
some will always ship with faults, but you need to demand a replacement
under warranty (if it's still under warranty that it).

Tony
February 10, 2005 11:52:12 PM

Software can be a reason of hard reset. But most of such cases happens
starting such software. It can work without problems on other PPCs and be
problem only on your. Only you can do is not to install any software at all,
then check.
If it will heppen again it's hardware.
If not, try to install some and check again. if ok try again if not
unistall half that were istalled last time. Only that way helped me to know
that PocketMusic on my Asus716 is a reason of hangingup on turning on or
off.

Most bad thing, but rare, can be when software conflicts with other
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:40:41 PM

you mean it does hardreset after insering it into cradle?
It's very posible if something is wrong with contacts in plug.
Try to look, may be something bended?

About sofware. I said that most of cases of hardreset happen starting such
soft.
But it also can be if that soft is loaded and doing something in
background(if it's in background it does something from time to time anyway)
and doing it wrong.
Some product of errors can accumulate and after all be a cause of hardreset.

"Geocritter" <geocritter@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Mine reset without launching anything new. When I used to use Palms,
> they would soft reset occasionally with bad software when launching,
> but that's not the case here. I'm guessing it's not software
> related...
>
> Wonder if it might be related to the cradle?

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:40:42 PM

Does it happen if the cradle is not connected as well? If not what
happens if you then connect the cradle?

!