Linksys WRT54G Setup And Security Questions

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello,

I'm new to this so I apologize in advance. Here goes.

A friend asked me to install his new wireless router. He has XP
running on an old HP and on a new Dell notebook that is wireless
enabled. He is on a cable modem.

I connected the cable modem to the router. I then ran a cat5 cable
right into the NIC on the HP. So far so good.

I then went to the other machine (Dell Notebook) and turned it on.
Bingo, it say the Linksys router and connected to the Internet.

I reviewed the Setup by going into the Router's address. I noticed
that "remote" admistration was disabled. I decided to leave
everything alone for a few days, but prior to leaving I made sure none
of the folders on either machine were being shared.

When I come back, I'll probably give the Router a new SSID and disable
broadcasting. I believe that the term broadcasting refers to the
router broadcasting it's SSID to the world. I believe I then need to
go to the Dell Notebook and somehow let it know what the new SSID is.
How I do that is still being processed. But after it's done, I think
it will remember the new SSID. Does all this make sense?

I believe that for home use, that's good enough security. No shared
folders, no remote admistration, no broadcasting and a new SSID. How
does that sound?

T.I.A.
1 answer Last reply
More about linksys wrt54g setup security questions
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Not good. You need to use encryption -- preferably WPA and a long
    passphrase (however, an older wireless card may not support WPA so you might
    be stuck with the lowest common denominator, which is WEP). Also, XP really
    dislikes it if your router is not broadcasting its SSID and may not connect
    if SSID-broadcasting access points are nearby.

    -Yves

    "Pitch16" <urout@strikes.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm new to this so I apologize in advance. Here goes.
    >
    > A friend asked me to install his new wireless router. He has XP
    > running on an old HP and on a new Dell notebook that is wireless
    > enabled. He is on a cable modem.
    >
    > I connected the cable modem to the router. I then ran a cat5 cable
    > right into the NIC on the HP. So far so good.
    >
    > I then went to the other machine (Dell Notebook) and turned it on.
    > Bingo, it say the Linksys router and connected to the Internet.
    >
    > I reviewed the Setup by going into the Router's address. I noticed
    > that "remote" admistration was disabled. I decided to leave
    > everything alone for a few days, but prior to leaving I made sure none
    > of the folders on either machine were being shared.
    >
    > When I come back, I'll probably give the Router a new SSID and disable
    > broadcasting. I believe that the term broadcasting refers to the
    > router broadcasting it's SSID to the world. I believe I then need to
    > go to the Dell Notebook and somehow let it know what the new SSID is.
    > How I do that is still being processed. But after it's done, I think
    > it will remember the new SSID. Does all this make sense?
    >
    > I believe that for home use, that's good enough security. No shared
    > folders, no remote admistration, no broadcasting and a new SSID. How
    > does that sound?
    >
    > T.I.A.

Routers Hewlett Packard Wireless Networking