Linksys WRT54G Setup And Security Questions

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b α HP
April 2, 2004 8:51:53 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello,

I'm new to this so I apologize in advance. Here goes.

A friend asked me to install his new wireless router. He has XP
running on an old HP and on a new Dell notebook that is wireless
enabled. He is on a cable modem.

I connected the cable modem to the router. I then ran a cat5 cable
right into the NIC on the HP. So far so good.

I then went to the other machine (Dell Notebook) and turned it on.
Bingo, it say the Linksys router and connected to the Internet.

I reviewed the Setup by going into the Router's address. I noticed
that "remote" admistration was disabled. I decided to leave
everything alone for a few days, but prior to leaving I made sure none
of the folders on either machine were being shared.

When I come back, I'll probably give the Router a new SSID and disable
broadcasting. I believe that the term broadcasting refers to the
router broadcasting it's SSID to the world. I believe I then need to
go to the Dell Notebook and somehow let it know what the new SSID is.
How I do that is still being processed. But after it's done, I think
it will remember the new SSID. Does all this make sense?

I believe that for home use, that's good enough security. No shared
folders, no remote admistration, no broadcasting and a new SSID. How
does that sound?

T.I.A.
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 2, 2004 11:42:13 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Not good. You need to use encryption -- preferably WPA and a long
passphrase (however, an older wireless card may not support WPA so you might
be stuck with the lowest common denominator, which is WEP). Also, XP really
dislikes it if your router is not broadcasting its SSID and may not connect
if SSID-broadcasting access points are nearby.

-Yves

!